Is this a bootleg

1 hour ago, Haighy said:

Thanks for reply’s. I know it’s original, I was a bit miffed. The lad said the label is moulded into the vinyl, which is wrong, as it’s screen printed. I felt my knowledge or integrity was in question, not that I’m the font of all knowledge, but I know my records are right. He’s missed out on a good buy as I wouldn’t sell to him again. 

The guy does not deserve to own such a wonderful record

Social source share

16 hours ago, givemesoul said:

years ago a well known dealer who i think is still on here told me at a record fair my machine stamped original of rose batiste hit and run was a bootleg and refused to buy it not much of a fox back then was he

Haha. I’ve got the same disc, and I’ve got to say, I thought I’d been ripped off at first. 

Social source share

On 01/07/2023 at 17:44, Haighy said:

Thanks for reply’s. I know it’s original, I was a bit miffed. The lad said the label is moulded into the vinyl, which is wrong, as it’s screen printed. I felt my knowledge or integrity was in question, not that I’m the font of all knowledge, but I know my records are right. He’s missed out on a good buy as I wouldn’t sell to him again. 

Be nice to know the culprit so we can all avoid dealing with him/ her/ they..

but understand buyer confidentiality 

Social source share

That's as real as real can be.  Just like the one

I bought in 1965.  This one looks right off the Long Island presses, with the proper centre indentation, Bell Sound Stamp, correct label printing process, correct plastic and groove cut.  How could ANYONE think it was a fake?????  There's nothing that is in the slightest question. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Anyone worth their salt knows that Bell records thruout the 60s and early 70s used ink jet on some demos and issues.. 

or at least they should do.. comes with the territory of collecting original vinyl when you’re spending £££££ you make it your business to know

Edited by Dave Pinch
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

Anyone worth their salt knows that Bell records thruout the 60s and early 70s used ink jet on some demos and issues.. 

or at least they should do.. comes with the territory of collecting original vinyl when you’re spending £££££ you make it your business to know

Totaly agree Dave,thats why i compared it with Ann Perry.When i got my Ann Perry in the early 80s some people thought they were boots,my copy had never been out of its sleeve since the day it was pressed and the vinyl was covered in wax oil which was very common in the 60s of which i pointed this out to the doubters.As you say,knowledge is paramount.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Robbk said:

That's as real as real can be.  Just like the one

I bought in 1965.  This one looks right off the Long Island presses, with the proper centre indentation, Bell Sound Stamp, correct label printing process, correct plastic and groove cut.  How could ANYONE think it was a fake?????  There's nothing that is in the slightest question. 

Cheers my friend. And cheers to everyone for the reply’s. One good thing to come out of this, I’m gonna keep it😀

I was selling to make room as my collection is getting ridiculous, but one record won’t make much difference. I don’t know how many times I’ve said that lol. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!