Help needed with damaged record.

Some time ago I bought a copy of Constellations - I don’t know about you. I knew it had a heat warp causing needle wobble at the start but it played well with 1.5 weight. Yann took a look at it but apart from cleaning couldn’t do anymore. Dj’d with it many times without issue including earlier this month at Byron but now it’s jumping for the first half of the record even at 2.5 weight. Any suggestions on how to rectify this would be appreciated thanks. 

Social source share

If Yann V. couldn't do much about it there's little hope in trying to make it better at this point IMU. And it could even be a win-all or loose-all in the worse case so caution here... Now unless the record went under intense heat to make it worse lately I would guess that nothing changed about the record. Likely more a stylus, cartridge or tonearm/turntable change at play here IMO.

If you're patient you could have a pair of thick glass cut to size with a central circle cut to size for the label thickness not to mess up with the process and have the record in between those two sheet of glas layers pilled with some weight on top (plant pot) or what ever and forget about it at room temperature for 1 to 3 months and see if that gently improved the troubling some warp.

On the side the stylus, cartridge and tonearm equation is crucial to deal better or not with such 'problematic' records. There's no 'golden rule' about it. One warp is never another. Generally high compliant cartridge and fine line styluses will track better wide warps on lighter effective mass tonearms too. Then out of the ordinary geometry (tangentials and or linears tonearms) aim to cope much better with these issues too.

But these are not our dee-jay turntables. Short straight tonearms for scratchers aim to be played with low compliant cartridges with conical stylus (avoiding 'cue burn') with heavy VTF for strong tracking under 'Rock'N'Roll' conditions and sometimes these can deal better with some warps. Other times not. So against all misconceptions of the idealistic phono gear, the 'universal' better phono gear just doesn't exist. To each it's strong and weak points. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

If Yann V. couldn't do much about it there's little hope in trying to make it better at this point IMU. And it could even be a win-all or loose-all in the worse case so caution here... Now unless the record went under intense heat to make it worse lately I would guess that nothing changed about the record. Likely more a stylus, cartridge or tonearm/turntable change at play here IMO.

If you're patient you could have a pair of thick glass cut to size with a central circle cut to size for the label thickness not to mess up with the process and have the record in between those two sheet of glas layers pilled with some weight on top (plant pot) or what ever and forget about it at room temperature for 1 to 3 months and see if that gently improved the troubling some warp.

On the side the stylus, cartridge and tonearm equation is crucial to deal better or not with such 'problematic' records. There's no 'golden rule' about it. One warp is never another. Generally high compliant cartridge and fine line styluses will track better wide warps on lighter effective mass tonearms too. Then out of the ordinary geometry (tangentials and or linears tonearms) aim to cope much better with these issues too.

But these are not our dee-jay turntables. Short straight tonearms for scratchers aim to be played with low compliant cartridges with conical stylus (avoiding 'cue burn') with heavy VTF for strong tracking under 'Rock'N'Roll' conditions and sometimes these can deal better with some warps. Other times not. So against all misconceptions of the idealistic phono gear, the 'universal' better phono gear just doesn't exist. To each it's strong and weak points. 

Not really much you can once the vinyl has recieved a heat warp. Although having said that, i managed to flatten out a copy of the Manchester Playboys with an iron I kid you not!!

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Dogsarse said:

Not really much you can once the vinyl has recieved a heat warp. Although having said that, i managed to flatten out a copy of the Manchester Playboys with an iron I kid you not!!

Another method is to place the record between 2 panes of glass and put in the oven at at temp 79 degrees

Social source share

Had all sorts of results with different techniques mainly failures although did get a perfectly flat 21st Century - Shadow of a memory result after sticking it under 2 editions of John Manship's price guide and forgetting where it was for over a month -  only finding it when I went to check a price later - fluke I know but made it saleable as a minter.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dogsarse said:

You should have turned the iron right up to the highest setting and finished it off ... :thumbup:

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dogsarse said:

I did the same some years back with an issue of The Imaginations ‘Strange neighborhood’. Damp tea towel over the vinyl and the iron on the lowest setting. It worked!

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I did the same some years back with an issue of The Imaginations ‘Strange neighborhood’. Damp tea towel over the vinyl and the iron on the lowest setting. It worked!

There you see Dogsarse was not born stupid.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yann did have a go at this one for me (1st pic)  without luck...and i had a few (equally as 'dished') that i have had sat between a couple of record boxes for 4 years ( i guess) and now nearly flat.

BUT...if you are DJ'ing with yours then i guess that is not a viable option.(unless you only gig once every 4 years 🤨)

record 1 side view-dink.jpg

record boxes.jpg

Social source share

I've heard of someone in the Manchester area with the nickname Bob Kettle or something like that, who can work wonders with warped records. maybe somebody on here knows him. 

Personally I've tried the one on you tube were the guy heats up 2 toughened glass chopping boards in the oven on the lowest setting, remove them from the oven and then place your record in between with a weight on top and then leave it for about an hour or so to cool down. I left the record in it's sleeve to protect it. It worked the first time I did it but then I tried it again on another record and failed miserably. I got too cocky and tried it with too much heat all at once.

Only try as a last resort.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!