Your First Dj Spot

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I am sure some will remember there's. It's just that soon not 100% sure but i might be getting a spot in Peterborough at city club doing the rookie bit. For me this is only a good start so if it happens could post my first experience.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

mine was 4.5 hours long lolol ...at a mod night in dundee and i done the whole thing myself . taught me an awful lot

Social source share

I did quite a few scooter do's and rallies before my first Northern Night proper. I felt fairly confident going on for the first time but Mr Jack Daniels managed to help me out in that respect - 1st big mistake. I had never seen anything but a full floor so had no real worries. 2nd big mistake. As the floor emptied, I decided on persistence in the hope that the crowd would come around to my way of thinking - 3rd big mistake!! Made a few more mistakes on the way and continue to do so (on a regular basis) but in general terms I do try and keep current within my small budget and play stuff that I hope the majority will enjoy and dance to. No wonder I'm bald!!!

Social source share

I had never really aspired to be a DJ & started quite late on, I was at a local Soul Night in Southampton as a punter & the guest DJ didnt show. The promoter & resident DJ asked me if I would pop home & bring some records to play...............I really had to be persuaded too, eventually agreed & much to my enbarrassment the promoter had to stand next to me for an hour putting the records on that I had chosen, as I had no idea what to do. Somebody commented to my other half that I didnt say anything on the mike for the whole set, to which Jenny replied 'When he does start you'll never shut him up'..........the rest is history !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ......... ('lets ave ya"). Much to my suprise later in the evening one or two people said that they enjoyed my set & another local promoter booked me for the next week !!!!. Whilst I consider myself a punter & collector first & foremost, & Im not really a proppa DJ, I am always very happy to play my records to an audience & feel very privelidged to do so............when they are kind of course !!!.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

East Anglian dj training opportunities scheme.....

First for me was Howard Mallett , Cambridge, 1978 ..... Mr Tony Dellar letting me do the warm up..

I Tried to learn from the Don, but could never match the priceless Sawston verbal assault..

Social source share

I used to run my own soul nights in Reading way way back and basically started to DJ there, then was asked by Ady Croasdell to DJ at The 100 Club around 1980/81 which i thank him for to this day making The 100 Club a real special venue for me, followed by regular spots for Chris King at Hinckley and here we are in 2007 and i still do the odd spot here and there, guess it's like the music, records etc. it's very much in the blood and still a joy to do after all these years as there is nothing better than have people dancing to your tunes be it 50 or 2000, it's never easy but always a joy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

East Anglian dj training opportunities scheme.....

First for me was Howard Mallett , Cambridge, 1978 ..... Mr Tony Dellar letting me do the warm up..

I Tried to learn from the Don, but could never match the priceless Sawston verbal assault..

Howard Mallet,

I have a white label promo of Leroy Hutson's album with "compliments of Ian Mallett" written on the cover. I think he was a record rep in the mid 70's is it the same guy?

would that be the same

Social source share

Howard Mallet,

I have a white label promo of Leroy Hutson's album with "compliments of Ian Mallett" written on the cover. I think he was a record rep in the mid 70's is it the same guy?

would that be the same

The Howard Mallett Club was a Soul Venue - early to mid/late 70's.

Sean

Social source share

supporting richard searling at an evening do in peterborough, before the fleet all-nighter. that was in 1978. I have to say that as an 18 year old, it was an honour & a privilege to be up there standing next to a thoroughly decent bloke like mr.searling, ferrying him pints of lager while he cracked out some stunning stuff. he also allowed me to fondle yvonne vernee in the plastic, an experience I was never to forget.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

My first spot after re-entering this lovely world of DJing was Nov 2005 for a friend's birthday party. He, his mum and uncle-in-law were all born the same day and recruited me to play. We barely speak anymore, but it was a bittersweet/good learning experience for me.

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Guest clanger v2

Still firmly etched in the memory......it should be....it was on Friday :thumbsup:

I was a bit cheeky and asked if I could play a set at the warm up for the London Bridge allnighter, and was chuffed to bits when the reply was positive.

I was nervous as hell, and was pleased that there were very few people there when I arrived, so I got the chance to get familiar with the decks.

Was pleased when I was asked if I could do another set a little later on, and on cloud nine when asked if I wanted to do a third in the early hours of the morning.

Still buzzing now.....it was a great experience :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert