Terry Reid - Superlungs

This got played on Thursday at a soul night in Brixton. I’ve never heard it played out at a soul night before and it was a popular spin, filling the dance floor although I was surprised to hear it and did wonder to myself how many knew the artist and song as it’s quite an obscure 45 being demo only 45 in the U.K.  I knew it from a Mickey Most mfp compilation which was in my parents small collection of vinyl LP’s when I was a youngster around 1971. Anyone else heard it played out before or any other DJ’s playing this? It’s a great track from a very respected U.K artist but a surprising spin as said.

Social source share

50 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It's a rock record?

I guess it's got a Mod, Psych feel with the Hammond Organ fills but aimed at a rock/pop audience when released I'd say. A floorfiller at the night I attended so similar to things like Babe Ruth, Julien Covey etc which were popular in the mid 7ts.

Edited by Autumnstoned
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Andybellwood said:

Have played it from 45 in dj sets and Mixclouds - also an old Steve Cato spin . 

It was Steve Cato who played it. I've always liked Terry Reid's stuff going back to The Hand Don't Fit The Glove. An interesting but surprising spin which got the dancefloor busy.

Edited by Autumnstoned
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Autumnstoned said:

I guess it's got a Mod, Psych feel with the Hammond Organ fills but aimed at a rock/pop audience when released I'd say. A floorfiller at the night I attended so similar to things like Babe Ruth, Julien Covey etc which were popular in the mid 7ts.

Not for me I'afraid but whatever floats their boat

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I was playing this at a Mod/Easy Listening/Library records club i did in Islington in 1999. One sided demo. He did some other great records on Columbia. The Hand Don't Fit The Glove being one. It's more of a Mod scene record and as someone has said above a rock record. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!