Health Fitness Wellbeing Sport Topic

Mike

Finding these type of things are becoming a bit more of a concern as the years pass by

Thinking a 'related' topic may be both informative and worthwhile?

Anyone like to share/discuss own current sports. fitness, health etc routines, pastimes, hobbies, antics...?

Myself currently involved in what seems to be a never ending circle/struggle to lose weight and increase running and swimming strengths, often finding myself standing still in a one step forward.. sort of thing

Social source share

Hiking, Kinder Scout this week.  Out regularly inn the Peak District, sometimes further afield.  Walking, anywhere but especially the countryside and hills the best medicine for anyones mental wellbeing.  I don't suffer mental illness myself as such but it is still great to get outdoors and empty the head of everyday rubbish, no people preferably and no music or outside influences.  

I also regularly attend the gym to work out and use the sauna and steam room almost everyday I am home.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Hiking, Kinder Scout this week.  Out regularly inn the Peak District, sometimes further afield.  Walking, anywhere but especially the countryside and hills the best medicine for anyones mental wellbeing.  I don't suffer mental illness myself as such but it is still great to get outdoors and empty the head of everyday rubbish, no people preferably and no music or outside influences.  

I also regularly attend the gym to work out and use the sauna and steam room almost everyday I am home.

yep, spot on with the walking and its benefits, in a previous world I used to be a expedition leader, though put the long distance hiking on pause right now, time being an issue, still try and get a couple of hours out local a week

20 hours ago, Keamus said:

Swim 2 miles a week, one round of golf and dance most weekends until knee pain becomes too much!

looking at the weather and sky today and wondering if the sea's gonna be warm enough to start this years bout of outdoor swimming, maybe...

20 hours ago, Douglaschip said:

Got to keep moving while you can!! Run, cycle, walk, golf, ski, running football once a week!  Always good to exercise not just for the physical benefits but as others have mentioned great time to clear the head and free the mind. Apart from golf which is a mental battle!!

15 hours ago, Carty said:

Just back from baths/sauna , cycled there and back , couple of weight sessions each week , plus regular gardening  and walking ,  slowing down though nowardays , like you say its an ongoing battle , my experience is , the more you do , the easier it gets , the better you feel . can echo the sentiments around mental health , most forms of exercise lift my mood .

yep again agree, gotta keep moving, that's one of my motivations to exercise regular, if you stop then it can be a right old battle to get back on it nowadays

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

anyone do anything over the weekend?

myself had a day that started with the coldest swim for a fair while in the morning, the web said 14c but sure it was lower, headache cold,  and then later ended with the warmest run of the year 

what did ya get up to?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great topic Mike:thumbsup:

At the beginning of Lockdown in 2020 I returned to running for some mental wellbeing and started the Couch to 5K programme once again. This is a great way of gradually breaking people into running and by October 2021 (when I contracted Covid) was running 6-7K every other day. Have attempted to restart the running a few times since but found I struggled becoming easily fatigued and lacking mental belief. Fast forward to May this year and with the summer approaching and my weight ballooning to above 15 stone and clothes struggling to fit  I took the plunge to have another go at C25K. 

This morning I completed my Week 5 Run 2 session so I am half-way through and have lost 7lb in weight so no need to purchase a new wardrobe of clothes!

Ideally I would like to lose 33lb in total and get back to my football playing days weight!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 06/06/2023 at 13:11, Soulfusion said:

Great topic Mike:thumbsup:

At the beginning of Lockdown in 2020 I returned to running for some mental wellbeing and started the Couch to 5K programme once again. This is a great way of gradually breaking people into running and by October 2021 (when I contracted Covid) was running 6-7K every other day. Have attempted to restart the running a few times since but found I struggled becoming easily fatigued and lacking mental belief. Fast forward to May this year and with the summer approaching and my weight ballooning to above 15 stone and clothes struggling to fit  I took the plunge to have another go at C25K. 

This morning I completed my Week 5 Run 2 session so I am half-way through and have lost 7lb in weight so no need to purchase a new wardrobe of clothes!

Ideally I would like to lose 33lb in total and get back to my football playing days weight!

hats off for the halfway mark, myself found the good thing with using the programs like the couch5k is that they gave me a focus/goal for each run, whilst when going thru loose periods of just going out for a run,  it's just too easy to take the easier option be it route, pace etc

am currently just back on a Garmin coach under x mins for 5km programme, with the current goal/aim is to try and get back down to 2019 times and achievements, which is turning out to be quite hard work

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I recently moved and for a few months everything got ignored a little, going through the motions in the gym, no hiking.  Now I'm settled back with at least one 5k run a week, back hiking and gym.  Need to do some swimming too.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/08/2024 at 15:49, Stompingsevens said:

Try Walking Football, clubs and teams everywhere now. If you enoyed playing footy as a kid it's brilliant !

Be very careful , I started last week and was absolutely knackered ,  tonight pulled a muscle in my thigh before we'd even started , [ yes I did warm up ]  my problem is thinking I can do things that I thought I could do 30 odd years back. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

About three month's ago I (begrudgingly) joined a group called 'Be Military Fit'. We start at 6.00am three mornings a week, no matter what the weather, and I can't believe the difference it has made to my head space. I honestly feel a lot more positive, it's quite unbelievable actually.

And of course, as we get older, this particular workout is good to keep the ol' joints moving.

I can't recommend this enough (See link below)

https://www.bemilitaryfit.com/ 

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've been going to Yoga/Pilates classes for the last three years, for me a great stress buster and body conditioner. As my Arthritic Knee isn't getting any better. I find using the gym incorporating yoga stretches for the warm up, light weights, exercise bike and leg press and leg folds has really helped strengthen my joints, to where it is manageable now(pending possible surgery. I mix it up with 5-6k walks a couple of times a week.

I find it really helps with Physical and Mental wellbeing 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Yes keep training, keep that blood moving, it stops depression , helps you think  clearer , puts everyday problems into the right priorities , prepares you for adversity what’s not to like! Except it’s hard work LOL, but I will keep on doing it otherwise Lose my Sanity. If I had any. Keep doing it you will feel better.

Mick

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Paddy Ferry said:

Be very careful , I started last week and was absolutely knackered ,  tonight pulled a muscle in my thigh before we'd even started , [ yes I did warm up ]  my problem is thinking I can do things that I thought I could do 30 odd years back. 

I've been playing for over 5 years now, I started when I was 55. It's so important to start slow in the first 8 weeks to get your muscles moving again and to put the brain in gear but it has changed my life for the better. The great thing about football is that you need to use your brain to make calculations constantly so it keeps the grey matter moving as oppose to the gym or solo sport.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm still running as much as my crocked knee permits and volunteering at Parkrun. The 65-70 age category is seriously competitive. I go to the gym and swim every morning Mon - Fri. Plenty of walking and cycling too. Walking football sadly folded. The funding was aimed at getting unfit people to start exercising but it mostly got people who were already pretty active so they pulled it. I keep meaning to find another one to go to...

Social source share

Like others I've had a few knee issues this year. Could hardly walk in May but the X-ray was clear, physio diagnosed damaged meniscus (never heard of this but apparently it's something between the bones). Slowly recovered and managed a few runs recently. Unfortunately, the dog has decided she can't be bothered to come as well, after initial enthusiasm she turns back.  Did a bit of swimming and cycling as I was told this was less strain on the knee. I've never fancied a gym, looks too competitive and judgemental plus all the expensive fancy stuff that seems necessary puts me off.

Agree with others that getting out and moving is well worth it, both physically and mentally.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Micksmix said:

I've been going to Yoga/Pilates classes for the last three years, for me a great stress buster and body conditioner. As my Arthritic Knee isn't getting any better. I find using the gym incorporating yoga stretches for the warm up, light weights, exercise bike and leg press and leg folds has really helped strengthen my joints, to where it is manageable now(pending possible surgery. I mix it up with 5-6k walks a couple of times a week.

I find it really helps with Physical and Mental wellbeing 

I do 30 minutes of yoga every morning when not at work, 4 or 5 times in an eight day stint.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I do 30 minutes of yoga every morning when not at work, 4 or 5 times in an eight day stint.

Just back from a class, I love it. Not for everybody, but you find more and more footballers do Pilates and Yoga to prolong careers.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!