Jimmy Ralph Bailey's avatar as Lee Roye on Decca

It is not established but "accepted" as a fit in regard of time, location and people surrounding that Chuck Wood, Al Wilson on Wand and Rubin on Kapp could effectively be avatar's pseudos for Jimmy Ralph Bailey's not so commercial marketable projects.

Where he would even travesty his versatile voice to impersonate his short lived avatars. Listening the other day at my friend's place to his album of J.R. Bailey on MAM he, soulshrews, asked me if I knew who was Lee Roye or if I knew him to be J.R. or not.

My answer came instinctively that in regard of the acetate version of 'tears' with the credit J.R. Bailey appearing on it and from 'ear' memory it didn't sound like the Lee Roye we know. As the album played on I kept on giving J.R.'s singing all my attention.

Hearing more and more his notorious singing versatility and ability with great ease to swiftly change from tone and timber while keeping up with the tune I began to wonder... Plunging back into some old thread on here it all came back about his other avatars.

So got to establish this window time frame of his little 1966 to 1968 different avatars differing from his partially or abbreviated real full name. In chronology, place and people surrounding these glorious 45's it all becomes even more coherent and comprehensive.

What do you all think ? Is this missing something ? Can we conclude ? Or not ?

03-65 Jimmy Bailey first of five singles on Columbia

04-66 his fifth and last with Johnny Northern & Vernon Harrel

07-66 J.B. Troy 'ain't the truth' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks

09-66 Al Wilson 'help me' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks

10-66 J.B. Troy 'live on' with Johnny Northern

06-67 Chuck Wood 'seven days too long' with Schwartz & Vernon Harrel

10-67 Rubin 'you've been away' with Schwartz & Irwin

02-68 Chuck Wood 'I've got my light...' with himself (his worse here FWIW)

06-68 Lee Roye 'tears' with Rudy Clark

07-68 J.R. Bailey 'too late' with Rudy Clark & Johnny Northern

During that window time frame Jimmy Ralph Bailey did not use his name on any edited record. This also adds water to the mill as this implies that he was not tied with an exclusive contract. and FWIW his name 'Bailey' also often appears as co-composer on many of these releases as well...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

It is not established but "accepted" as a fit in regard of time, location and people surrounding that Chuck Wood, Al Wilson on Wand and Rubin on Kapp could effectively be avatar's pseudos for Jimmy Ralph Bailey's not so commercial marketable projects.

Where he would even travesty his versatile voice to impersonate his short lived avatars. Listening the other day at my friend's place to his album of J.R. Bailey on MAM he, soulshrews, asked me if I knew who was Lee Roye or if I knew him to be J.R. or not.

My answer came instinctively that in regard of the acetate version of 'tears' with the credit J.R. Bailey appearing on it and from 'ear' memory it didn't sound like the Lee Roye we know. As the album played on I kept on giving J.R.'s singing all my attention.

Hearing more and more his notorious singing versatility and ability with great ease to swiftly change from tone and timber while keeping up with the tune I began to wonder... Plunging back into some old thread on here it all came back about his other avatars.

So got to establish this window frame of his little 1966 to 1968 different avatars differing from his partially or abbreviated real full name. In chronology, place and people surrounding these glorious 45's it all becomes even more coherent and comprehensive.

What do you all think ? Is this missing something ? Can we conclude ? Or not ?

03-65 Jimmy Bailey first of five singles on Columbia

07-66 J.B. Troy 'ain't the truth' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks

09-66 Al Wilson 'help me' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks

10-66 J.B. Troy 'live on' with Johnny Northern

06-67 Chuck Wood 'seven days too long' with Schwartz & Vernon Harrel

10-67 Rubin 'you've been away' with Schwartz & Irwin

02-68 Chuck Wood 'I've got my light...' with himself (his worse here FWIW)

06-68 Lee Roye 'tears' with Rudy Clark

His name 'Bailey' also often appears as co-composer on many of these releases as well...

Interesting! You could be on to something with this. Can it be proved?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Solidsoul said:

Interesting! You could be on to something with this. Can it be proved?

Well such adventures can never be proved as such. Most of the times it will be words from third parties that would tell their version of the story like "rumors".

In the best case scenario it's the artist him/herself admitting to it that will act as testimony. But no photos, no biography and/or no backgrounds are hints too...

Social source share

It has long been considered for some time that they are the same artist, JR Bailey. Think if I remember rightly from a previous discussion Kev Roberts was friends with someone Stateside who knew and worked with Bailey and said as much to him, if not for all those acts mentioned then for some, Chuck Wood for sure, Lee Roye and possibly Rubin. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It has long been considered for some time that they are the same artist, JR Bailey. Think if I remember rightly from a previous discussion Kev Roberts was friends with someone Stateside who knew and worked with Bailey and said as much to him, if not for all those acts mentioned then for some, Chuck Wood for sure, Lee Roye and possibly Rubin. 

here's a post from 2012 from @Goldsoul 

'According to my close friend Bobby Jay, Chuck Wood, Al Wilson and Rubin are JR Bailey......if not, Vernon Harrell. JR is of course deceased, But BJ was very close to JR and after listening tosongs at a mutual friends house in New Jersey back in 06, it was 'confirmed''

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Right so the consensus on Chuck Wood like for sure, Rubin and Al Wilson could very well be and Lee Roye and J.B. Troy begs for more certification at this point. Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

All I know is that J.R Bailey, Jimmy Bailey and Al Wilson (the Wand one) are all the same person. Chuck Wood is also a possible for J.R.Bailey (no more absent any proof) weren't there pictures of a promo of Chuck Wood and J R Bailey knocking about? 

I have seen no evidence that he is also Rubin, or Lee Roye and have tended to veer towards Vernon Harrell as being the more likely candidate there, having listened to their respective records. Then again they could be someone entirely different.

Sorry that is as far as I get. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, Steve G said:

All I know is that J.R Bailey, Jimmy Bailey and Al Wilson (the Wand one) are all the same person. Chuck Wood is also a possible... 

I have seen no evidence that he is also Rubin, or Lee Roye and have tended to veer towards Vernon Harrell as being the more likely candidate there, having listened to their respective records. Then again they could be someone entirely different.

Sorry that is as far as I get. 

Don't be. Sorry that is. Great leads IMO. Listening to the flip of both "dancer" sides of Lee Roye and Rubin where the singing is somewhat less "intense" one can indeed hear the similarities and possibility of a Vernon Harrell if ever.

As for J.B. Troy there's really not much to go on and the risk to go on the easy lead with the initials of J.B. as in Troy for a Jimmy Bailey avatar might just prove too easy to fall for and actually be nothing else but another fool's lead...

But as @Goldsoul stated in an old post resurrected by @Source admin Rubin would be JR. Bailey according to one of JR close friend's. All very hypothetical still but closing in on those three avatars that are Rubin, Lee Roye and J.B. Troy.

Although J.B. Troy singing is so close to Jimmy Ralph's singing these could likely be the same one and the same. And while listening again to Lee Roye's 'who am I' still leaves me hearing Jimmy Ralph's plaintive typical rendition and "articulation".

And Rubin singing as you state on his 'you're my everything' shows a rather "rawer" and "dryer" timber and articulations between tones and pitch that is closer to Vernon Harrell's singing. The 'ONE' contender likely not to attribute to J.R's list of avatars.

Making this chart like so now ;

03-65 Jimmy Bailey first of five singles on Columbia

07-66 J.B. Troy 'ain't the truth' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks IS LIKELY J.R.

09-66 Al Wilson 'help me' with Johnny Northern & Robert Banks IS J.R.

10-66 J.B. Troy 'live on' with Johnny Northern IS LIKELY J.R.

06-67 Chuck Wood 'seven days too long' with Schwartz & Vernon Harrel IS J.R.

10-67 Rubin 'you've been away' with Schwartz & Irwin COULD BE VERNON HARRELL

02-68 Chuck Wood 'I've got my light...' with himself (his worse here FWIW) IS J.R.

06-68 Lee Roye 'tears' with Rudy Clark IS LIKELY J.R.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for the mention. JR Bailey’s  ashes by the way are on my dear friend Bobby Jay’s mantle piece. 
Adding a touch of trivia to the comments raised, JB Troy could be BJ switched around and Troy could refer to Jeff Troy, Bobby’s colleague at WWRL radio station. That’s my view. I will endeavour to ask BJ as I work with him at 45 Radio, where he presents America’s Greatest Hits. 
Both JR and Vernon were clearly go to guys to improve various sessions for busy labels such as Wand, Decca, Kapp etc. 

Edited by Goldsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Thanks for the mention. JR Bailey’s  ashes by the way are on my dear friend Bobby Jay’s mantle piece. 
Adding a touch of trivia to the comments raised, JB Troy could be BJ switched around and Troy could refer to Jeff Troy, Bobby’s colleague at WWRL radio station. That’s my view. I will endeavour to ask BJ as I work with him at 45 Radio, where he presents America’s Greatest Hits. 
Both JR and Vernon were clearly go to guys to improve various sessions for busy labels such as Wand, Decca, Kapp etc. 

The more I listen to J.R. Bailey's 'Too Late' and the flip 'hold back the dawn' on Mala which imprinted my ears 35 years ago next to J.B. Troy's 4 Musicor sides (although I know 'Live On' from almost 40 years) they each really evidently sound like the one and same singer that is J.R. Bailey !

The similarities on these are more relevant to compare than with other J.R. Baileys previous or later recordings to optimize such comparison in trial of the singing on similar kinda musical arrangements. Awaiting now what Bobby and Jeff could tell us over those J.B. Troy recordings...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Yes seen that photo but isn't that likely the Chuck Wood who's got earlier (older like photo) that has a 45 on Warner Brothers in 1961 or even the one later on ERA in 1965 ? Both West Coast recordings too and most likely another singer. Meaning another Chuck Wood like J.R. Bailey as Al Wilson on wand is/was another Al Wilson than 'the snake' fame one...

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes seen that photo but isn't that likely the Chuck Wood who's got earlier (older like photo) that has a 45 on Warner Brothers in 1961 or even the one later on ERA in 1965 ? Both West Coast recordings too and most likely another singer. Meaning another Chuck Wood like J.R. Bailey as Al Wilson on wand is/was another Al Wilson than 'the snake' fame one...

There is an advert for 7 days with that photo. 

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 18.01.15.png

Social source share

4 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

Who is this bloke then ???

Andy

According to what is given on Datcogs (but with 'inter-links so likely plausible not only gibberish) that Lee Roye (and the Emeralds) is also Leroy Jones and/or Smith of Leroy and the Drivers on Coral and Duo rather familiar with us soul buffs so taking it all in other leads, directions and singing category for a "plausible" fit. 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Chalky said:

I have the same photo Ian posted

347591598_3528528197413530_7360965060471055440_n.thumb.jpg.ed6bc82bdf2802079b0a4278fd781de9.jpg

If it's a fit for that Roulette Chuck Wood then I vouch and correct all. Even what follows. But we could mostly benefit from a sharper image of it and circumstantial informations on or with it. Like the source of it and how come it ended-up being used to promote the UK Big T release in October 1967...

Hence we've all seen misuses of wrong photos of American artists given to another on here in Europe... Maybe in the States too but I have nob such example. Still my impression is that this photo doesn't seem to have been taken in 1967. Before yes. Implying it could tell us totally another story behind it. 

Social source share

Thanks, and that's the point Mike. We can't just go joining dots and making assumptions without hard evidence. Unfortunately, absent an "I'm Spartacus" moment, which now seems impossible, and absent a professional voice recognition expert, we'll never know for sure. Especially with so many singers around back then.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

If it's a fit for that Roulette Chuck Wood then I vouch and correct all. Even what follows. But we could mostly benefit from a sharper image of it and circumstantial informations on or with it. Like the source of it and how come it ended-up being used to promote the UK Big T release in October 1967...

Hence we've all seen misuses of wrong photos of American artists given to another on here in Europe... Maybe in the States too but I have nob such example. Still my impression is that this photo doesn't seem to have been taken in 1967. Before yes. Implying it could tell us totally another story behind it. 

Don't think you will get much sharper, this the promo and the one Mike posted all point to Chuck Wood not being JR Bailey.  Unless we get more information to suggest the photos aren't Chuck Wood we have to go with what information we have and not a similarity in voice which many artists had.

Social source share

Nothing to add about who Jr Bailey was but the picture that posted of Chuck Wood was also published with great clarity in the book '' The In Crowd '' .

Got to add though if Jr Bailey is half the singers he is purported to be he was a mighty fine singer with a great range and also a very busy one with his songwriting,  production and background work and also his solo work.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Don't think you will get much sharper, this the promo and the one Mike posted all point to Chuck Wood not being JR Bailey.  Unless we get more information to suggest the photos aren't Chuck Wood we have to go with what information we have and not a similarity in voice which many artists had.

Reaching out if ever someone could later even come 'out of the bush' and bring along what could seem to him/her as a rather insignificant or trivial like detail that but that can prove crucial on this end allowing us in the best case to clear-up the picture and significantly establish or re-inforce such or such lead.

Establishing how the name Chuck Wood was associated with that full size photo with it's source for that picture later used (head-line cut) on that 'seven days is too long' Big-T advert at one time in the UK now the avatar of the Roulette Chuck Wood on Datcogs is crucial before being critical further down the line.

Similarity in voice is only what it is but without better solid proof it's something to take into account in the meantime and by adding these to all other factual leads in order to enforce or deforce such or such a lead until a solid proof is brought along is all we can rely on. Two examples I love of 'brain freeze' fatal moments ;

Capturedcran2023-06-0311_55_09.thumb.png.b8aa799dc6e1c1a6df28e14e9360b424.png Capturedcran2023-06-0311_56_44.thumb.png.ac52ed06ba48ad1a09985567f43a78df.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Nothing to add about who Jr Bailey was but the picture that posted of Chuck Wood was also published with great clarity in the book '' The In Crowd '' .

Got to add though if Jr Bailey is half the singers he is purported to be he was a mighty fine singer with a great range and also a very busy one with his songwriting,  production and background work and also his solo work.

OK that would be interesting to see how they got that picture for the book 'The In Crowd' and if ever they can attest the link to that Chuck Wood on Roulette or not. Can't say I know these guys but will look into it

Another classic example is the confusion between Jimmy Soul (not Clark) the North Carolina 'HIT' guy with 'twisting' Matilda' with "our" Detroit Jimm(e)y 'Soul' Clark leading to wrongful images use too often...

Capturedcran2023-06-0312_03_00.thumb.png.30fce700958398433c2c4c8b6c3fb24e.png

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK that would be interesting to see how they got that picture for the book 'The In Crowd' and if ever they can attest the link to that Chuck Wood on Roulette or not. Can't say I know these guys but will look into it

Another classic example is the confusion between Jimmy Soul (not Clark) the North Carolina 'HIT' guy with 'twisting' Matilda' with "our" Detroit Jimm(e)y 'Soul' Clark leading to wrongful images use too often...

Capturedcran2023-06-0312_03_00.thumb.png.30fce700958398433c2c4c8b6c3fb24e.png

Be very interested to find the truth behind all those different recordings and if Jr Bailey was responsible for them , seem to recall a interview/ article in Blues and Soul at the time of his 70s lp which I would have thought would give some details of his past recording etc.  sadly I binned all mine years ago.

Strange that a artist such as J.r. who had a long career using his real name as a artist ,songwriter,  producer and also a member of The Cadillacs has little information on the web about  him .

Social source share

8 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Be very interested to find the truth behind all those different recordings and if Jr Bailey was responsible for them , seem to recall a interview/ article in Blues and Soul at the time of his 70s lp which I would have thought would give some details of his past recording etc.  sadly I binned all mine years ago.

Strange that a artist such as J.r. who had a long career using his real name as a artist ,songwriter,  producer and also a member of The Cadillacs has little information on the web about  him .

OK so I've just asked friends 'Soul Shrews' & spouse (him co re-starter of this 'who's who' wonder for Lee Roye on Decca while listening to his LP of Jr. Baley on MAM) to dig into their recently acquired complete Blues & Soul collection (from Amsterdam passed pirate radio dee-jay fame 'Midnight Johnny' RIP) solidified by craft into hard cover classified chronologically by year of issue to dig and look into those for the Jr. Bailey interview if ever...

As for 'strange' I would say good 'guess who' shadow job at it really. Intended as a mystery and remaining as one after all this time it is rather well done I'd say. Much better than what history books are too often made off in comparison...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK so I've just asked friends 'Soulshrew' & spouse (him co re-starter of this 'who's who' wonder for Lee Roye on Decca while listening to his LP of Jr. Baley on MAM) to dig into their recently acquired complete Blues & Soul collection (from Amsterdam passed pirate radio dee-jay fame 'Midnight Johnny' RIP) solidified by craft into hard cover classified chronologically by year of issue to dig and look into those for the Jr. Bailey interview if ever...

As for 'strange' I would say good 'guess who' shadow job at it really. Intended as a mystery and remaining as one after all this time it is rather well done I'd say. Much better than what history books are too often made off in comparison...

To make a bit easier for your friends I would start looking at the weekly Blues And Soul issues they were the ones I held onto after getting rid of all the others and the ones i think had a menion of J.R  Bailey on the cover indicating a article inside hope i have not started a wild goose chase .

The weekly ones did not run for long maybe a year .

Edited by Shinehead
Social source share

In the interview (Black Music) he says "Calla Records gave me my start, but I left, and got back on Broadway, on the scene again. Eventually, I started working with Rudy Clark, who wrote hits for Bobby Darin. I went to their firm, and worked nine to five, for fifty dollars a week.". Well we know he didn't start with Calla, but there is no mention of Chuck Wood or even Al Wilson let alone any others on the list. I think we're flogging a dead horse here. No matter how hard, there is no firm evidence that JR Bailey is Chuck Wood, in fact I am even more doubtful of the connection now than I was a week ago.

The Big T photo of Chuck Wood would have come over from Roulette. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Excerpt taken from Blues & Soul from September 1975 with in between brackets my little additions. Could those six acts be them (our six shared Names being J.R., Vernon or even a real Chuck) after his passage as Jimmy Bailey at Columbia and before his J.R. Bailey (re- if ever) incarnation in 1968 at Mala with Rudy Clark (so not in 1965) ?

... All those things, by the way, were cut under my real name, Jimmy Bailey (at Columbia). "Feeling that perhaps maybe he should go under writing and producing (and singing at times maybe ???). J.R. worked on about six acts "and although we placed product with companies, we never really had any hits so we dissolved the whole thing." ...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Ken Williams, the one person who could probably have helped identify his musical partner's vocals, sadly passed away last Summer.

Ken Williams a-dish-a-tunes website still stands giving a partial (not full) discography and thirty second introductions to some of his songs, including Big Jim's Border Crossing and J.R. Bailey's take on Sweet Music, Soft Lights and You, which I hadn't heard before.

https://www.adishatunes.com/full-discography

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Interesting topic , hopefully a answer one day I do think that the photo of Chuck Wood is not J.R. Bailey as for the vocals I will take Kev Robert's version of events as he is the only one to have any dealings with anyone involved in the recordings.

That picture is evidently not J.R. Bailey. And the fact that this 'original' photo was used (likely sourced from some Big T. archives) for the book 'The In Crowd' participate into the 'officialisation' once more to that. But you're right they're not one and the same. Here left a young J.R. Bailey while part member of the Cadillacs and the Big T. promo picture Chuck Wood guy on the right if ever. Two those fellas are just no match at all and one only is J.R. !

Capturedcran2023-06-0511_52_18.png.266b10267bcfd0bc9c1b7e9782dcdc61.png Capturedcran2023-06-0511_52_44.png.52eb2572d94cfb2213eb00a9239ca17c.png

Steve G. valid point stands even if that photo came from the N.Y. Roulette offices sent to the UK for Big T. promotional use yet it doesn't necessary means IT IS the photo of THE actual singer. Other similar stories from major companies mishaps are about. Kev Robert's tale reporting from another horse's mouth is maybe only second hand word but it does participate into that constellation corroboration of J.R. voice lending conspiracy of ours...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

The first time I saw the photo of Chuck Wood I was surprised because he only looks about 17 in the photo where as the vocalist sounds more mature and given that JR was born In  1937 his age at the time of ''Seven days" seems more in keeping with the record .

Whoever the artists were one thing for sure Mr Bailey was a talented individual whose talent at least hit some paydirt with his songwriting in the 70s.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

That picture is evidently not J.R. Bailey. And the fact that this 'original' photo was used (likely sourced from some Big T. archives) for the book 'The In Crowd' participate into the 'officialisation' once more to that. But you're right they're not one and the same. Here left a young J.R. Bailey while part member of the Cadillacs and the Big T. promo picture Chuck Wood guy on the right if ever. Two those fellas are just no match at all and one only is J.R. !

Capturedcran2023-06-0511_52_18.png.266b10267bcfd0bc9c1b7e9782dcdc61.png Capturedcran2023-06-0511_52_44.png.52eb2572d94cfb2213eb00a9239ca17c.png

Steve G. valid point stands even if that photo came from the N.Y. Roulette offices sent to the UK for Big T. promotional use yet it doesn't necessary means IT IS the photo of THE actual singer. Other similar stories from major companies mishaps are about. Kev Robert's tale reporting from another horse's mouth is maybe only second hand word but it does participate into that constellation corroboration of J.R. voice lending conspiracy of ours...

I understand the mishaps by companies but we have to assume the photo used is Chuck Woods.  There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.  As much as we’d like to believe our own theories that Chuck is JRB it is becoming more and more evident they are different people. We can only use what evidence we have, however circumstantial.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If you wish to assume that that photo is Chuck sure. But I don't agree that we all have to incline as there's actually no evidence either ways at this point. From a singer who has no background at all...

Even if on one end there's this Big T. photo. Which has no traceability beside originating from the Big T. archives - and even if it came from Roulette N.Y. offices they could have play the 'fool play' all the same.

On the other hand beside "leads" we have words from hearsay, voice matchability and a constellation of people, time and place that fits the whole idea of it with other such records to set the 'pattern'...

To me it's a case of a glass half empty or half full at this stage. The quest was originally on Lee Roye's case but this one is indeed part of the thing and considering the 'pattern' it makes sense to question it.

If it was not for the Big T. release (although the record had some success in the USA too) this promotional picture wouldn't be here. And still it came without any background presentation of who is Chuck...

If an artist got to get such an enthusiastic public reaction the word of who's he/she would quickly find it's way to the record company representative eager to present the artist forth coming release in full no ?

We're not talking a small imported independent release impossible to locate. It's a major's release that found its way on a close to the street London label that could have got all they asked for from Roulette USA...

But no apparently. Which is odd somehow I find. Even more so after they even released the second Chuck's 45. Aiming to please a community of soul devotees in hunger to know their artists and were given nothing.

But a photo... And if proven wrong that this photo is that guy singing 'seven days too long' even if Chuck Wood is only his "stage" name is I swear that I will only be happy to finally know the truth and bow to that...

Social source share

But there is more evidence to suggest Chuck Wood isn’t JR Bailey. The photo you have to take at face value don’t we unless proven otherwise, it is after all what we have to go on.  

As for the Big T release.  Maybe the lack of info surrounding the artist and the release here was money, maybe Roulette had nothing as the record came and quickly went over there and they had little interest in it, simply selling a licence and maybe make a few bucks  

We generally scoff at hearsay, similarity in voice and assumptions  The only thing that links these artists in reality is the fact JR Bailey wrote or co-wrote the songs. There is no hard evidence or facts to prove they are one and the same. 

The history of music is littered with one hit wonders and even more so artists with one or two releases that failed miserably.

I do agree we have to question everything but sometimes we just have to accept what we have and unless Kev’s sources can come up with something more concrete we have no other option.  We certainly cannot claim one artist to be another simply because the sound alike. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

A quick scan of Discogs knocks J B Troy out as well. Unless it's another "wrong photo" of course 😜

I am done with this speculative stuff. Let's stick to what we do know, if and until we know better. 

Yes seen that picture of Jimmy Ralph Bailey (Troy) on Discogs so yes however added the name J.B. Troy at the bottom It's again a 'photo' (of we know who here) but in conjunction to our "speculative" minds to assume it is him regardless of that photo and name 'montage' if ever... 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Don't think I've seen this 1958 publicity pic of Big Chuck Wood posted in this thread. Apologies if I missed it.

Source: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/big-chuck-wood-of-big-chuck-wood-and-the-woodchuckers-poses-news-photo/74301444

OK that Californian Rock'n'Roll 'Big' Chuck Wood with two releases on Warner Brothers in 1958 and without the Woodchuckers in 1961 (arranged by H.B. Barnum then). Can't find any other leads of that Big Chuck Wood and the Woodchuckers outside that. Could he be it ? Discogs mish-mash connections are just too fancy free or given away but maybe or maybe not...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK that Californian Rock'n'Roll 'Big' Chuck Wood with two releases on Warner Brothers in 1958 and without the Woodchuckers in 1961 (arranged by H.B.Barnum then). Can't find any other leads of that Big Chuck Wood and the Woodchuckers outside that. Could he be it ? Discogs mish-mash connections are just too fancy but maybe or maybe not...

Just posted it to throw into the mix as no one else had. As you say, lots of confused connections and assumptions. 

"Maybe or maybe not" sums it all up in a nutshell

• Up vote 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes seen that picture of Jimmy Ralph Bailey (Troy) on Discogs so yes however added the name J.B. Troy at the bottom It's again a 'photo' (of we know who here) but in conjunction to our "speculative" minds to assume it is him regardless of that photo and name 'montage' if ever... 

So you are saying that we cannot be sure the photo of Chuck Wood is really Chuck Wood and that the photo of J.B Troy might not be J.B Troy because someone might have added his name to the photo of someone else? I think I've lost the will to contribute anything further to this thread at this point. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/06/2023 at 18:47, Shinehead said:

Another  J.R. vocal ? 

Yes but that Jim's Boarder Crossing gear is 1972 and so post dating my quest time frame set between 1966 and 1968 (not to broaden the topic that has become somewhat exhausting for some - or is just me ? 😉 ) and then there's also that oddest Chris York song 'tomorrow comes too soon' issued on a Finish Decca 45 in 1973 where J.R.'s voice can also be distinctively heard even if not 'credited' and the list could go on and on and on maybe...  

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

where J.R.'s voice can also be distinctively heard even if not 'credited' and the list could go on and on and on maybe...  

My Home - Big Apple Brass - Royal Flush.

Maybe someone's interested but J.R. Bailey sings the vocal on it🎶

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

My Home - Big Apple Brass - Royal Flush.

Maybe someone's interested but J.R. Bailey co wrote it and sings the vocal. 

A slide from the original topic that might bring some 'fresh air' so these are now welcome on here. And if in this case his singing is indeed credited on the record it shows just how he was constantly involved in different musical projects.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!