RIP Tina Turner

RIP - one of the greatest.

Interesting but uninformed perspectives on her huge legacy from various new sources, including one from the BBC (see below). I read one that stated her name was Anne Annie Bullock! Like all news sources, they only see Tina in terms of her chart success, and not the impact she had across her whole career (including the advancement of the careers of the various Ikettes), whether in those early hard, hard times, or as her fantabulously reinvented self.

RIP one of the last great legends.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65672639

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Such sad news - I saw Ike & Tina at The Wheel in the 1960s - one of my favourite acts - they just blew the roof off! Absolutely brilliant & so good that she survived the abusive relationship she had with Ike Turner to become the iconic singer that she was. We had no idea at the time how badly she was treated by him.  R.I.P. Tina

• Up vote 2
Social source share

There's a really interesting tweet from Paul Mason about Somebody Somewhere being played in Ms in the 70s that's worth seeking out.

I remember Dust My Broom from Up The Junction in 1972 but I'm pretty sure it was getting plays before then.

Commercially of course her career really took off later on. One of the few artists who made it really big with the mainstream audience after contributing to the fledgling northern scene.

RIP.

Social source share

I was very lucky to have been at the Brighton Top Rank , when Tina made her comeback , brought the room to a standstill with her version of " Let's Stay Together" , ( unfortunately for Jean Carn ) but a night that I'm sure she and the audience went home feeling happy.

She'd finally thrown off the shackles and loved every minute of it , and went on to enjoy a career so long lasting , she deserved ,, RIP TINA X.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!