Fave version: Oh, Lord. What are you doing to me?

A little while back, a friend here in NL very kindly gifted me a copy of Dionne Warwick's Disques Vogue French EP he found in the wild and which contains her sublime take on the classic Luther Dixon-penned "Oh Lord, what are you doing to me?" I have to say I've been rather haunted by her version ever since - Dionne seems to bring the right depth of emotional fragility to the song, certainly in a way that appeals to me.

Numerous other versions out there - Big Maybelle being the original and first call, of course - but what's your fave take?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

A little while back, a friend here in NL very kindly gifted me a copy of Dionne Warwick's Disques Vogue French EP he found in the wild and which contains her sublime take on the classic Luther Dixon-penned "Oh Lord, what are you doing to me?" I have to say I've been rather haunted by her version ever since - Dionne seems to bring the right depth of emotional fragility to the song, certainly in a way that appeals to me.

Numerous other versions out there - Big Maybelle being the original and first call, of course - but what's your fave take?

Big Maybelle followed by Maxine Brown.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Dionne's orchestration is way too light for me, Maxine almost Bossa-Nova tempo makes it almost another tune where Big Maybell's strong, deep felt and grave voice fits the composition like a glove. I'm not a Dionne lover so that's out and Maxine can be a fantastic singer with the right gear. Only less here for me.

Social source share

If I was pushed, I'd go for Tommy Hunt's version, Big Maybelle in second, Freddie's is ok, if you get the LP, it’s on there, the common one on Abet, rather than shelling out on the 45.  Tommy Hunt here, best version by far...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!