Help identifying this track please.

Quinvy
Go to solution Solved by Mike,

• Solution

1 hour ago, Quinvy said:

Just going through loads of old minidiscs, and can't remember anything about this track. Sounds like a Carolinas thing?

that was a good memory exercise, I got there in the end

Survivors - Good Baby - Valli

always brought a smile to my face hearing that out

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I think Carl willingham broke the tune,and for a short while was a demand and pricey item,then of course eBay churned out many copies,until it was a 100 quid record,and of course less desirable as it got cheaper😂

Carl did have it first, I had the second, well second to play it out 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Am I right that a lot of copies turned up,I certainly remember a spell of it appearing on lists for 100 to 150 quid for a good while?

it would be sometime before they all began to turn up.  We both had some decent play out of it, Carl longer than me of course. 

Social source share

On 27/04/2023 at 10:00, Dobber said:

I think Carl willingham broke the tune,and for a short while was a demand and pricey item,then of course eBay churned out many copies,until it was a 100 quid record,and of course less desirable as it got cheaper😂

Oh thats interesting...are you saying a record's desirability depends on its value ?

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Oh thats interesting...are you saying a record's desirability depends on its value ?

Well the majority of div or cheque book Djs don't seem to want anything not en vogue or costing less than 4 figures

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jez Jones said:

I think for almost all of us this has to be a factor, but for most of us the major driver is the other way round - a record's value (itself a very difficult thing to pin down) depends on its desirability.

That desirability can have many causes - we'd all like to pretend it's just about the sound in the grooves, but I'm pretty sure that, in a slightly circular way, price, whether as derived from rarity or some other factor, can be one of them.

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Paraboliccurve said:

I think for almost all of us this has to be a factor, but for most of us the major driver is the other way round - a record's value (itself a very difficult thing to pin down) depends on its desirability.

That desirability can have many causes - we'd all like to pretend it's just about the sound in the grooves, but I'm pretty sure that, in a slightly circular way, price, whether as derived from rarity or some other factor, can be one of them.

This is the  bit I find difficult to comprehend......surely(but could be wrong) the acquisition of a desirable object at a price lower than market value.(dont quote me on what is market value..pick a number sometimes 🙂 ).is something to strive for

So in essence

Desirable Object- bought for bargain price ..... = mission complete 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Well the majority of div or cheque book Djs don't seem to want anything not en vogue or costing less than 4 figures

Yeah but thats to climb the DJ ladder to success  lol

...not to collect desirable tunes

Dont forget you dont get worshipped with cheap records... 🙂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Jez Jones said:

You’ve been around long enough to know that the desirability of a record is driven by the value not the quality,especially on the way up! This record in question and off the top of my head..Clara hardy,royal esquires,these two also were big ticket items and you would have killed your mother for a copy,but then boxes turn up,then the value drops on its arse and no one wanted them,they would rot away in sales list at a 100 quid,but now the value has risen and rising,people want them again! It’s the same with everything I suppose,kids wouldn’t want Gucci if they were sold in sports direct for a tenner!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Dobber said:

You’ve been around long enough to know that the desirability of a record is driven by the value not the quality,especially on the way up! This record in question and off the top of my head..Clara hardy,royal esquires,these two also were big ticket items and you would have killed your mother for a copy,but then boxes turn up,then the value drops on its arse and no one wanted them,they would rot away in sales list at a 100 quid,but now the value has risen and rising,people want them again! It’s the same with everything I suppose,kids wouldn’t want Gucci if they were sold in sports direct for a tenner!

so you're saying yes it does depend on its value...which is fair enough.....i have a different view....but its ok..it was a genuine question....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yes I’m afraid I am one of them where the higher the value the more blinded I become,for example I would love to bid on the Mello souls at what looks to be a high amount,but in all honesty,if  it was a major label item with boxes of copy’s around,and it was a 10 quid record,I wouldn’t look twice at it!

however it terms of QUALITY,it is the best northern soul record ever!

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Yes I’m afraid I am one of them where the higher the value the more blinded I become,for example I would love to bid on the Mello souls at what looks to be a high amount,but in all honesty,if  it was a major label item with boxes of copy’s around,and it was a 10 quid record,I wouldn’t look twice at it!

Thats fair play mate.....as ya say I've been round long enough to know what I value and what I find lacks in value......

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

But you wouldn't find a record like the mello souls on a major label or the del larks for that matter. There's nothing commercial about it, I'm unsure of what market it was aimed at, a happy accident by made by some kids. That raw sound that's still sophisticated it's truly a rare quantity in the genre. 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Would it still be "the best northern soul record ever" if it was available for 10 quid when, if there were loads of copies, you "wouldn't look twice at it"?

That's contrary. I'm confused!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

I'm unsure of what market it was aimed at,

Like all small label releases, it was aimed at the local market - fans of the band; those who supported them at local gigs. Family members, relatives and friends. Maybe there was - or the hope of –  some local radio airplay - and always with the dream the 45 might go regional, and then, if they were really lucky, getting picked up by a major label for national release, and all the promotion that came with it. The Northern Soul scene, as we know, is made up of countless tunes that (to paraphrase the Mello Souls) never made it. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

18 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Would it still be "the best northern soul record ever" if it was available for 10 quid when, if there were loads of copies, you "wouldn't look twice at it"?

That's contrary. I'm confused!

Yes for me it would be and is the best northern soul record ever,I just wouldn’t be interested in owning it if it was 10 a penny,the quality and the desirability are 2 separate things to me.

Social source share

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Yes for me it would be and is the best northern soul record ever,I just wouldn’t be interested in owning it if it was 10 a penny,the quality and the desirability are 2 separate things to me.

Equally I also think the intruders better check yourself is up there with best,but because it’s readily available and (cheap ish) I’ve no desire to own it,however if it was an under 10 known copy record I would want it! Stupid I know,but I’m not interested In a room full of records I would never play,just a jewellery box of gorgeous items😂

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Equally I also think the intruders better check yourself is up there with best,but because it’s readily available and (cheap ish) I’ve no desire to own it,however if it was an under 10 known copy record I would want it! Stupid I know,but I’m not interested In a room full of records I would never play,just a jewellery box of gorgeous items😂

A good honest answer....Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!