Fashion Victims

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Looking back through some of the photo's on here from the 70s, had me thinking about fashion.

Some things like the vest with patches, Spencer Soul Bgs, and leather trench coats really capture the moment, and though not particualrly trendy today (although a few still sport these items), I was wondering, what was the worst thing you bought so you could feel trendy at your favourite do's?

For me it was a pair of clear plastic sandals that were popular (more with the jazz funk crowd) in the early 80s. I remember I wore them once. To an Oddfellows allnighter. My feet sweated and swelled up worse than on a flight to Australia circa 1957. I took them off and tried dancing in my socks, but kept getting trod on or stepping on stuff. And in the morning despite having to sit and watch everyone enjoying themselves I still couldnt get the flamin' things back on. They went in a bin a few yards from the entrance.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looking back through some of the photo's on here from the 70s, had me thinking about fashion.

Some things like the vest with patches, Spencer Soul Bgs, and leather trench coats really capture the moment, and though not particualrly trendy today (although a few still sport these items), I was wondering, what was the worst thing you bought so you could feel trendy at your favourite do's?

For me it was a pair of clear plastic sandals that were popular (more with the jazz funk crowd) in the early 80s. I remember I wore them once. To an Oddfellows allnighter. My feet sweated and swelled up worse than on a flight to Australia circa 1957. I took them off and tried dancing in my socks, but kept getting trod on or stepping on stuff. And in the morning despite having to sit and watch everyone enjoying themselves I still couldnt get the flamin' things back on. They went in a bin a few yards from the entrance.

You ve made me smile. I m not admitting to any of mine, but will always remember Donny Reid at Oddfellows in zoots, flash top and red chukka boots. We were a stylish lot!

It was round about the time of Ra ra skirts and acid colours..... classy eh?

Trina

Ps I only wear black, its night time camo :thumbsup:

Social source share

Them stupid platform shoes with big heels,made me look about 6 foot odd ,but I could,nt walk in em never mind Dance,ahhhhh them were the days :thumbsup:

Bazza

Social source share

I bought a pair of patchwork denim, very, very wide bags - and thought they were the bees knee's. I remember turning up at Birmingham Locarno one night and had to run the gaunlet of p*ss taking from some of the funk crowd outside.

Even my mother thought they were crap. I remember coming down the stairs at home, in a hurry, with said troosers on and foot getting caught in the bottom of the other leg - and bouncing down the stairs. A couple of mates were there and my mother lectured me on how dangerous the bloody things were in front pf my mates - who obviously enjoyed my humilation.

I was out of dance floor action for weeks - and gave the troosers away soon after.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mine would have to be a T shirt with a high content of lycra, sad to say that was only last year.

That reminds me. The first time I went to the original hinkley venue, the one with the ultra violet lights, i was wearing black, and every single bit of fluff was illuminated about a billion times.

I much preferred it when they moved across the road.

Social source share

Whats happend to your feet Pete , have they sunk into the carpet ?

I think they have been overwhelmed by the trousers. Actually there's a sad tale about those trousers, I got kicked by a policeman after a Wolves match - for no reason whatsoever, I was walking in the wrong direction apparently - and I went over and they were ripped, and had to be binned.

Social source share

I think they have been overwhelmed by the trousers. Actually there's a sad tale about those trousers, I got kicked by a policeman after a Wolves match - for no reason whatsoever, I was walking in the wrong direction apparently - and I went over and they were ripped, and had to be binned.

Bloody hell Pete - that looks dangerous stood at the top of those stairs in those trousers!

Social source share

I had a accident too, they ( flares) were my first long set of trousers for school , got on me Bike went speeding off , got all caught up in the gears and went straight into a wall .. lucky me mum was a Nurse I tell ya :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

The most ridiculous thing I ever did was try and make a pair of home made "Patchwork jeans". I started with a normal pair of Wranglers and then cut up various old pairs and started to stitch them on. Getting no where fast I asked mum to stitch them on, she told me to fook off and I would look a Cnut! Thanks mum!

I resorted to "stapling" them on. Next up was a full length leather coat, well I was a school boy and couldn't afford on of those so I borrowed me dads black trench mac.

Strutting down Imber high street feeling like one of the stylistics, with my new pants literally falling apart with every step I must of looked a right cnut! LOL

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Don't think the lilac vest with white trim was a good look for me, especialy being a skinny runt as I was then!! ( 70's, Cleethorpes!)

post-1355-1172841318_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Can anyone remember those skin tight tee shirts that looked like pages from comics and the original bowling shirts , one of mine was black with gold inlets with ''Ponsiana Queens on the back...................did not have a clue who they were at the time :lol:

Social source share

Don't think the lilac vest with white trim was a good look for me, especialy being a skinny runt as I was then!! ( 70's, Cleethorpes!)

post-1355-1172841318_thumb.jpg

i'm more impressed with the trim on them velour curtains lol! :unsure::sleep3: check them out - they look like surf's up! wow! :lol:

post-5759-1172847685.jpg

don't think i had any mishaps in 70's fashion - was made to wear what my mum put me in! well i was age 3 in '76, tho there is a photo of me as a 7/8 year old wearing an 'hangin' (today's equivelant word is 'minging') steel-blue colour ribbed sweater dress, which i absolutely hated and even didn't go to a m8's party once cos my mum made me wear it - i sooner would of sat at home than go and wear that dress so i did; i sat at home (and sulked profusely)! :( kept the pressi tho that was for my school friend! ha ha! :yes:

wAvy :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Would have to be one of these i think, the Starsky jacket,had one exactly the same as the one in the pic, teamed with brown patch pocket bags & platforms i must have looked the bees knees ! :lol: Just wish i had a picture !

That's one thing i really regret, there seems to be a period in my life, about 76 to 84 where i just don't have many picture, i suppose it was the time when we were out & about so much that taking a camera was too much of a pain. Wish they had invented these small cameras a bit sooner.

post-5566-1172848694_thumb.jpg

Social source share

See attached avator (1974). Black and White crepe sole shoes, bought from Carnaby St.

Bought a black mac at the same time, I seem to remember that the fashion was to have the belt fastened at the back.

Also sprayed my Doc Martens silver, wore a 'tank top' with 999 across the chest and wore Rupert trousers!!!

Social source share

See attached avator (1974). Black and White crepe sole shoes, bought from Carnaby St.

Bought a black mac at the same time, I seem to remember that the fashion was to have the belt fastened at the back.

Also sprayed my Doc Martens silver, wore a 'tank top' with 999 across the chest and wore Rupert trousers!!!

Back in 1971 , and now very much to my shame , I bought a jumper with a tree on the front of it , and in case anyone who saw me in it did not recognise what it was on the jumper , it had the word " Tree " underneath .....

I think I wore it twice .....

In respect of fashion victims , my dear friend Bill Payne used to cut a dashing figure around Doncaster wearing spats and carrying a cane ......

Malc Burton

spats.bmp

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest nubes

I think the worst fashion faux paux i made was having a banana yellow and chocolate brown tank top...with a custard yellow skirt and a mustard long collar shirt topped with a afro which the Jacksons would have turned violet with envy...this at the mature age of 14 in 1975..i thought this is what northern soulies wore :rolleyes:i looked like a walking chocolate banana split...but not as sweet :unsure: Delxx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Mine would have to be a T shirt with a high content of lycra, sad to say that was only last year.

Be very careful Colin, The others still think its your wifes, do you still have it in your possesion as i would love to wear it one night to see if they recognise it :unsure:

Social source share

Aaah! Bowling shirts. Mine had "Toliver & Curle paving" on the back, I'd like to think it had something to do with Kim's old man now!

Also, was I the only one who, having failed to acquire a black leather trench coat, plumped for the cheaper bu way less cool, US Army surplus dressing gown in blue corduroy? Yes? No? Just me then!

Social source share

I actually had a bowling shirt wiith nothing on the back, and my mum was going to embroider orange "smarties" on the back and the legend, "smartie people are happy people" on it. It never happened. Filon anyone?

One thing I never had was the vest with the cartoon on it and "Dragonette", what was that about?

Paul

Social source share

Walking in the wrong direction, apparently ?

Course you were, that was the usual excuse wasn't it for trying to get round the away end whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think the worst fashion faux paux i made was having a banana yellow and chocolate brown tank top...with a custard yellow skirt and a mustard long collar shirt topped with a afro which the Jacksons would have turned violet with envy...this at the mature age of 14 in 1975..i thought this is what northern soulies wore rolleyes.gif i looked like a walking chocolate banana split...but not as sweet :D Delxx

Ah yellow... :yes:

I used to wear a pair of yellow pegs and a yellow corduroy shirt in the early 80s (more jazz funk influence i think). With the taper in the pegs I also looked like a banana.

At the oddfellows i used to wear a woolen v neck tank top with nothing underneath, because i thought it was cool to dance in :ohmy: what was i thinking? My arms were like broken matchsticks sticking out.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I had a cap-sleeve tee shirt with "Jades" on one side and "Del Larks" on the other about 1975 at Wigan and various other venues.

Probably for the time doesn't sound too bad (well OK it does) but my arms are just like bits of string. I thought I was Mr. Cool but maybe not.

Social source share

Guest marge

not quite on the soul scene at the time, about 13/ 14 years old, wearing tartan trousers, moccasins and terry towelling socks, a la Specials MOR period (second album) down at my local miners welfare. I thought I looked so cool, despite the Rupert the bear shouts that got directed at me.

Have to say this thread has made me chuckle though...some great stories.

Social source share

Guess what Dave,got a photo from Stafford of you in a sexy Chanel dress and Pat Brady in drag plus Blondie as policewoman!..............but no scanner!

Steve

Ps was Dennis Lee the first(bloke) to wear a dress to niters? thank god for Yate and fun!

feel free to post all the photos to me and I will scan them on your behalf :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest nubes

Guess what Dave,got a photo from Stafford of you in a sexy Chanel dress and Pat Brady in drag plus Blondie as policewoman!..............but no scanner!

Steve

Ps was Dennis Lee the first(bloke) to wear a dress to niters? thank god for Yate and fun!

I can remember that too cos i really loved the shade of lippy Dave had on :thumbsup: Delxx

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Bloody hell Pete - that looks dangerous stood at the top of those stairs in those trousers!

Our baggy trousers were a health hazzard I tell you. I remember sitting on the sofa at my girlfriends watching star soccer in the baggiest pair you could imagine. All of a sudden the bloody cat shot up my trousers making it to the knee before I could stand up and shake her out! Still have the nightmares of what could have happened... Ade

Social source share

Guest nubes

Our baggy trousers were a health hazzard I tell you. I remember sitting on the sofa at my girlfriends watching star soccer in the baggiest pair you could imagine. All of a sudden the bloody cat shot up my trousers making it to the knee before I could stand up and shake her out! Still have the nightmares of what could have happened... Ade

:thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::P .....classic mate,,,that has really cheered me up... :thumbsup: Delx

Social source share

in that difficult transitional period between being a scooterist and becoming a soulie, i got it into my head that dungarees were the thing to wear :thumbsup:

sweat + denim braces + dancing for eight hours non-stop = bleeding nipples that take a week to heal.

Social source share

Bloody hell, just remembered this.

A good few years ago I was on the net talking about what we used to wear when the subject ended up with "Spencer Bags". I learned that these are still available so after a while I decided to get some. Don't ask me why, I suppose in my heart I thought that if I bought these and wore these I would be magically transported to nineteen hundred and frozen to death when I was about 16 years young.

I got the little package consisting of a very nice selection of sample material along with a little form to take to a tailor for a fitting. Form completed and material chosen, I sent me seventy quid away to Spencer's for my magical trousers'.

A few weeks later I received a box all wonderfully wrapped and inside was a packet of tissue paper, carefully removing the outer paper I was greeted with my new trousers. I caressed them out of the box and they were huge! I had opted for the Godzilla 40" flares!!

I put these on and stood eager to see my reflection in the mirror, surely now I would loose the beer gut, surely now I would look handsome and young........ Nope I just looked like a little fat Cnut with a massive pair of clown's trousers on!

The sail, I mean the trousers disappeared under my bed, I mean when the fook would I ever wear these? What in gods name possessed me to buy them? Remaining under the bed for the next five years until The 2006 Blackpool weekender when I decided to out my self as a closet soulie.

Here is the proof, please be gentle; https://www.tafsc.com/BLACKPOOL.htm enjoy the write up as well.

God bless , ImberBoy.

Social source share

Surely.. 'Oxford Bags', 'Spencers', 'Bowling Shirts' et al were the fashion when Northern Soul was at its height? Mid 70's period. Basically, everyone was wearing these clothes, not just soulies.

It's just a myth that these are Northern Soul (or 'Soulie') clothes/gear. If you go by the actual records, mainly 60's, early 70's and the fashions the artists wore and the original fans.....then (for me anyway) it has to be 'Ben Sherman', 'Levis'....etc.

Always amuses me when folk not into the scene still think that we wear vests (with patches), Oxfords...and the rest. I suppose they're still regarded as Northern Soul clothes by the masses... :D

Social source share

Surely.. 'Oxford Bags', 'Spencers', 'Bowling Shirts' et al were the fashion when Northern Soul was at its height? Mid 70's period. Basically, everyone was wearing these clothes, not just soulies.

It's just a myth that these are Northern Soul (or 'Soulie') clothes/gear. If you go by the actual records, mainly 60's, early 70's and the fashions the artists wore and the original fans.....then (for me anyway) it has to be 'Ben Sherman', 'Levis'....etc.

Always amuses me when folk not into the scene still think that we wear vests (with patches), Oxfords...and the rest. I suppose they're still regarded as Northern Soul clothes by the masses... :D

Agreed .... going back to those halcyon days , it was always Ben Sherman's ( all the colours and checks ) , Levi 501's ( I hated having to sit in the bath shrinking the sods on ) , Levi sta - prest , Harrington Jackets , Levi denim and cord jackets ( the cord one when you wanted to impress the girls ) , Brogues , mohair suits , etc .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Northern Soul Fashions ......

I can recall that one of the fashion " statements " from the height of the scene , besides bowling shirts , was the wearing in some quarters of American Boy Scout shirts : these came from ex - army and navy stores , complete with all the various merit badges and respective scout troop logos . A mate , thinking he looked the business when he got one , was stopped in his tracks when someone made comments on the troop patch on the arm of the shirt ...... New York City Queens .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Agreed .... going back to those halcyon days , it was always Ben Sherman's ( all the colours and checks ) , Levi 501's ( I hated having to sit in the bath shrinking the sods on ) , Levi sta - prest , Harrington Jackets , Levi denim and cord jackets ( the cord one when you wanted to impress the girls ) , Brogues , mohair suits , etc .

Malc Burton

Spot on Malc...and aint Brogues great for dancing!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

American football shirts with t-bag material on the yoke - yes Ian Levine calm down, you heard right, it was a fishnet top ! Urgh !

Moccassins in the 8os - yes dancing for 7 hours with 2mm of cardboard between you and the floor. Good idea! My arches are paying the price now.

Never managed the home made t shirt I saw one lad at wigan wear, iron on letters on the front the legend 'Speed hills' and on the back - 'What a way to go !' Subtle!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mel brat

Spencer Soul Bags, and leather trench coats really capture the moment, and though not particualrly trendy today...

They've NEVER been "trendy" ! :thumbsup:

As I remember it, Baggies emerged C.early 1973 and were usually in demin or cord with simple slit pockets. (NO high waist, extra side pockets etc.) During that year there was a brief fashion for cheesecloth and seersucker shirts(!), velvet bomber jackets etc., but following the success of "The Great Gatsby" film came the 1920's revival and by late '74/early 1975 the earlier styles had given way to 'Oxford Bags' (ie. baggies with pleats and turnups) often worn with Fair Isle v-neck tops, and two-tone tapered shoes.

These were superceded in 1975/76 by 40's and 50's styles (tapered "pegged" trousers etc.) inspired by James Dean and what Bowie and Brian Ferry were wearing at the time, but you couldn't buy them in the shops! You had to hunt down original 40's and 50's clothing in second-hand shops and markets, along with (cotton) shirts with small collars, narrow ties, bowling shirts etc., as all the modern shirts had those large and nasty 70s collars! Anything with an original Utility mark was a particularly prized item(!)

Those tapered cotton khaki American Army trousers were the best, if you could get them. Very smart, and comfortable too! The 40's revival really broke bigtime in 1976 - hence the popular success of Manhatten Transfer, Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band et.al. All good fun.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

GOD!..i remember wearing 60,s tyle suits, with short sleeve,s to show lots of the french cuff on the shirt ,ridiculous 1" wide ties,tab collered shirts...pointed shoes :fool: hahaha!!......hang on! huh.gif ...thats how

i dress now........sorry i,ll get my 60,s style mac :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert