It can't be rare but...

The beauty of getting older - I'm just going through some boxes and listening to a load of records that I would swear I have never heard before, and I have no idea when or where I got them.

I haven't been diagnosed with Alzheimers, but I sometimes feel like it's 1984 and I've somehow got access to Tim Ashibende's loft because everything I hear is like the nest newie ever.

Anyway, I have a few bits and bobs on Toddlin Town which I do remember - Jimmy and the Ents (always preferred the Accents personally, loads more soulful), Mousie and the Traps, Padded Cell (which I always loved) - and a couple of Bull and the Matadors things which I don't remember at all.

Point of the post is that Bull and the Matadors 'I Can't Forget' / 'Move With The Groove' has only been sold twice on eBay as far as I can see.

OK, not quite 'the best newie ever' but both sides are pretty good and must have been played out and about by lots of people I'd have thought (as above I can't remember ever hearing either song).

This can't be a very rare record, so why is it being sold so infrequently?

There are lots of others which fall into this sort of category - can anyone name a few?

(The downside of getting older is getting fixated on records you loved when you were younger and finding you have bought additional copies because you've forgotten you already had it eg The Commands Hey It's Love on Dynamic, I have two - why??)

Edited by Paraboliccurve
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paraboliccurve said:

Point of the post is that Bull and the Matadors 'I Can't Forget' / 'Move With The Groove' has only been sold twice on eBay as far as I can see.

OK, not quite 'the best newie ever' but both sides are pretty good and must have been played out and about by lots of people I'd have thought (as above I can't remember ever hearing either song).

It' a cheap record, probably too cheap for popsike to bother with. Plenty for sale on discogs, plenty been sold via that platform too

Social source share

2 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

The beauty of getting older - I'm just going through some boxes and listening to a load of records that I would swear I have never heard before, and I have no idea when or where I got them.

I haven't been diagnosed with Alzheimers, but I sometimes feel like it's 1984 and I've somehow got access to Tim Ashibende's loft because everything I hear is like the nest newie ever.

Anyway, I have a few bits and bobs on Toddlin Town which I do remember - Jimmy and the Ents (always preferred the Accents personally, loads more soulful), Mousie and the Traps, Padded Cell (which I always loved) - and a couple of Bull and the Matadors things which I don't remember at all.

This can't be a very rare record, so why is it being sold so infrequently?

There are lots of others which fall into this sort of category - can anyone name a few?

(The downside of getting older is getting fixated on records you loved when you were younger and finding you have bought additional copies because you've forgotten you already had it eg The Commands Hey It's Love on Dynamic, I have two - why??)

Glad I'm not the only one who has bought multiple copies of a record whilst at a niter and forgot that I already have it. I have 3 copies of 4 records lol. 

And agree with you About new girl by the Accents ,love the whistle at the start 

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

It' a cheap record, probably too cheap for popsike to bother with. Plenty for sale on discogs, plenty been sold via that platform too

That's probably it yep. Hadn't occurred to me that there was a lower-bound cut off 

Edited by Paraboliccurve
Typo
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Glad I'm not the only one who has bought multiple copies of a record whilst at a niter and forgot that I already have it. I have 3 copies of 4 records lol. 

31 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

I've got various doubles and one treble but four trebles is going it a bit 🙂

Social source share

Don't know about newises and all that, I dont care, as long as they are GREAT!! Brilliant group, Bull and the Matadors is favourite of mine. You should check out 'Where Did The Judge Go' which is a great track.

As for Thomas East & The Fabulous Playboys, they went on to record some great tracks, which go for big money now, but for my money their two Toddlin' Town recordings win hands down,  'I Get A Groove ‘moves me mate!!  tough record, and 'That's Why I Can't Stop Loving You' is utterly sublime, what a vocal, it's got it all... and they will cost you a tenner each!!!

If we are staying with this group of labels, how about 'Epics And Larry & The Hippies - My Destination' instant YES here folks!! and 'McKinley Mitchell - My Sweet Baby' 

Value for money, THIS is what we want!!  🙂

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Don't know about newises and all that, I dont care, as long as they are GREAT!! Brilliant group, Bull and the Matadors is favourite of mine. You should check out 'Where Did The Judge Go' which is a great track.

As for Thomas East & The Fabulous Playboys, they went on to record some great tracks, which go for big money now, but for my money their two Toddlin' Town recordings win hands down,  'I Get A Groove ‘moves me mate!!  tough record, and 'That's Why I Can't Stop Loving You' is utterly sublime, what a vocal, it's got it all... and they will cost you a tenner each!!!

If we are staying with this group of labels, how about 'Epics And Larry & The Hippies - My Destination' instant YES here folks!! and 'McKinley Mitchell - My Sweet Baby' 

Value for money, THIS is what we want!!  🙂

Yep I wasn't trying to drum up the old oldies v newies thing (which was irritating even back in the 80s) - just saying I've got stacks of records that are newies to me because I can't remember them!

I love that McKinley Mitchell 👌

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!