Northern Soul At The BBC Proms 2023

Mike

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Not that Paul or anybody has to be defended but I'do think that these assumptions are rather odd to say the least. As these threads are open to anyone to share their opinions or points of views and should not be subject to contrariety if it differs from some, most or all even. At least I hope.

And if ones responds to many times that's still fine I believe. Posting more than others if ever (who's counting ?) is not against the site's guidelines nor a against good morality standards IMO. Even though it can seem like a lot (too much maybe 😶‍🌫️) but we still love little Paul. Don't we. Even if he can be... 😉

As for using others footages posted publicly in the first place for all to see here I see absolutely no wrong in doing so. Sorry but it seems that you are trying anything and everything to put a 'blame' on him. Instead of replying to him and his criticism actually with some counter arguments. Peace !

I didn't see this limp attempt at a personal dig. Thanks 'Tiscapital' for addressing it, Now i will reply to Imperial 😄

6 hours ago, Imperial C said:

Once Upon a Time someone said "You are entitled to your opinion", but little Paul thought this only applied to him and he decided to dominate the thread using other peoples footage to pour scorn on other people having a good time and enjoying themselves. Poor Paul, it would not be long till the thread closed at midnight and he would turn into a pumpkin.

They all lived happily ever after 

Imperial C, whoever she is, is again, like another lame attempt, trying to imply some kind of tentative link with me and the Proms. I guess they are trying to suggest  a commercial link, but lack any intelligent argument to expand on the suggestion. 'Little Paul', i kind of like that moniker, like little Richard (who took no shit), so much appreciated.

I have no debate with people enjoying themselves, it is more a rejection and argument against people calling this BBC Promenade 'Northern Soul' and i disagree that it sounds or looks good.

Imperial C, I'm very far from 'poor', (in terms of integrity, honesty and a connection to my soul) but thanks for the concern.
You come across, in terms of only being able to offer a personal attack rather than anything resembling a discussion, as a bit silly, absurd and petulant and that reveals a lot. "Pumpkin"?...you can call me your "little Pumpkin' if it floats your boat, or is it a reference to your top tune by 'Jay and the Techniques'?

Edited by Paul-s
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Steve G said:

What is this "scene" that people speak of? The last "scene" I think I experienced was now a long time ago.

These days "northern soul" seems to be a very loose rubber band embracing all sorts of events, and musical types, many of which appear to be self contained niches with their own patrons who will go to one venue but not another one up the road. People that have found "northern soul" since the 70s, have come from many different walks of life, life experiences and time periods.

The die hard all nighter travellers of the 70s and even 80s are a dwindling bunch, unsurprisingly as age catches up with people and I see more people going to local events purely because they enjoy the style of music / a bit of dancing or the social craic. 

As someone in his sixties now, who remembers when there was "a scene" to speak of and a set of rules we lived by, I'd just say those days are long gone, so enjoy what you like and live life to the full while you still can.

So to the Proms. In the past I've always seen these as nothing more than an upper class twits pastime, a chance for them to dress up, belt out "Jerusalem" and the national anthem at the top of their voices, wave flags and go home delighted at how patriotic they must be. A dystopian tory wet dream. The northern soul tribute night marks something of a break with that image and appears to be more inclusive and relevant.

When I look at countless venues playing boots, boring as fook playlists, the clothes, NS tat galore and even records like that "Champion" vocal and "Tribute", I cannot see exactly what an orchestra or a couple of hours on BBC TV is "threatening" the integrity of. Any claim to underground purity went decades ago. 

As I quite like watching musicians practice their art, I shall watch the TV version at some point. 

THIS !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

To be honest , once the cat was let of the bag in 76 , via The Sunday Times suplyment, the purists decided let's dig a deeper hole , where they can't find us and resurfaced in  Cleethorpes, Rotherham, Yate , Stafford ,The 100 Club and anywhere else far away from the public eye as possible, but the bastards found us eventually because we left too many clues ,,, so there's no point in getting hot under the collar , this is 2023 not 1973 take out of it what you will , but the proms was meant to be a celebration, possibly key holed into a fragment of time a long, long time ago , before the cat was let out of the bag . Just a thought,,,

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Stateside said:

I would think of this more as a beat ballad rather than your archetypal Northern Soul and to my ears sounds soulful and a well produced effort. Compare that to something at the other end of the spectrum like The Mello Souls - We can make it, and for me there's a very good reason that record is rare, and that's because most of the copies probably went in the bin.

That's completely subjective, and purely a matter of taste. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Steve G said:

What is this "scene" that people speak of? The last "scene" I think I experienced was now a long time ago.

These days "northern soul" seems to be a very loose rubber band embracing all sorts of events, and musical types, many of which appear to be self contained niches with their own patrons who will go to one venue but not another one up the road. People that have found "northern soul" since the 70s, have come from many different walks of life, life experiences and time periods.

The die hard all nighter travellers of the 70s and even 80s are a dwindling bunch, unsurprisingly as age catches up with people and I see more people going to local events purely because they enjoy the style of music / a bit of dancing or the social craic. 

As someone in his sixties now, who remembers when there was "a scene" to speak of and a set of rules we lived by, I'd just say those days are long gone, so enjoy what you like and live life to the full while you still can.

So to the Proms. In the past I've always seen these as nothing more than an upper class twits pastime, a chance for them to dress up, belt out "Jerusalem" and the national anthem at the top of their voices, wave flags and go home delighted at how patriotic they must be. A dystopian tory wet dream. The northern soul tribute night marks something of a break with that image and appears to be more inclusive and relevant.

When I look at countless venues playing boots, boring as fook playlists, the clothes, NS tat galore and even records like that "Champion" vocal and "Tribute", I cannot see exactly what an orchestra or a couple of hours on BBC TV is "threatening" the integrity of. Any claim to underground purity went decades ago. 

As I quite like watching musicians practice their art, I shall watch the TV version at some point. 

As a young man that I am in his fifties living in Brussels anything that participate in the 'commercialization' of the 'scene' (I'll come back to that) has a painful payback when it comes to the 'DO's' where having here and there. Only organizers if ever appreciate such growing attendance of standardized newcomers while the dee-jays have to deal with the worse "requests" from those punters.

Refering to the 'scene' (that once was but is no more as it was) or rather as the remains or the 'IT' or the 'IT's' makes it at least "reference-able" even if not 'factual'. But indeed the term is problematic as even when I'm being asked how's the 'scene' doing in Brussels I reply we have no 'scene' here. We never had. The only scenes Belgium had was the Pop-Corn and the Techno ones. Mod, rockers, skinheads or what never.

Northern Soul or Modern Soul never had a 'scene' here. Even if through the years we had events of little "importance". Some were fair others no so much. Bunch of friends, nice guests and interesting new comers for a good time with good music at times too. The humble aim was good music and records discovering. So these small do's we had of our own were always sporadic and 'open' and 'accessible' to one and all with curious ears.

This not to appeal only to the 'target' public but to broaden it. Allowing the dee-jays more "freedom" in their selections too. Still stating the Northern Soul musical trend of the night for the orientation evidently. Or Modern Soul for the other events. But with the bigger later Northern Soul events in Belgium the dee-jays pressure to play more 'mod' or 'mp3 classics' danceable tunes 'à la Levana' to keep the floor busy was real and a drag for me.

This is in no way what I want to participate to in any future Northern Soul events in Belgium or about. And anything that participates into such 'sell-out' of the Northern Soul brand is bringing only more of that. Even at our 'humble' whatever events here and there too. With ready made copy cats dee-jays willing to compete ! Say what ? So the "scene" as I refer to that once was could be named the 'IT' or considering what's left of 'IT's' is all that too to me.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

As a young man that I am in his fifties living in Brussels anything that participate in the 'commercialization' of the 'scene' (I'll come back to that) has a painful payback when it comes to the 'DO's' where having here and there. Only organizers if ever appreciate such growing attendance of standardized newcomers while the dee-jays have to deal with the worse "requests" from those punters.

Refering to the 'scene' (that once was but is no more as it was) or rather as the remains or the 'IT' or the 'IT's' makes it at least "reference-able" even if not 'factual'. But indeed the term is problematic as even when I'm being asked how's the 'scene' doing in Brussels I reply we have no 'scene' here. We never had. The only scenes Belgium had was the Pop-Corn and the Techno ones. Mod, rockers, skinheads or what never.

Northern Soul or Modern Soul never had a 'scene' here. Even if through the years we had events of little "importance". Some were fair others no so much. Bunch of friends, nice guests and interesting new comers for a good time with good music at times too. The humble aim was good music and records discovering. So these small do's we had of our own were always sporadic and 'open' and 'accessible' to one and all with curious ears.

This not to appeal only to the 'target' public but to broaden it. Allowing the dee-jays more "freedom" in their selections too. Still stating the Northern Soul musical trend of the night for the orientation evidently. Or Modern Soul for the other events. But with the bigger later Northern Soul events in Belgium the dee-jays pressure to play more 'mod' or 'mp3 classics' danceable tunes 'à la Levana' to keep the floor busy was real and a drag for me.

This is in no way what I want to participate to in any future Northern Soul events in Belgium or about. And anything that participates into such 'sell-out' of the Northern Soul brand is bringing only more of that. Even at our 'humble' whatever events here and there too. With ready made copy cats dee-jays willing to compete ! Say what ? So the "scene" as I refer to that once was could be named the 'IT' or considering what's left of 'IT's' is all that too to me.

you need to cut the length of your posts down and try and stick to the actual subject

lengthy rambling posts on various subjects are not really adding anything to the actual subject here

keep them shorter and more on topic

thanks

Social source share

13 hours ago, Paul-s said:

I didn't see this limp attempt at a personal dig. Thanks 'Tiscapital' for addressing it, Now i will reply to Imperial 😄

6 hours ago, Imperial C said:

Once Upon a Time someone said "You are entitled to your opinion", but little Paul thought this only applied to him and he decided to dominate the thread using other peoples footage to pour scorn on other people having a good time and enjoying themselves. Poor Paul, it would not be long till the thread closed at midnight and he would turn into a pumpkin.

They all lived happily ever after 

Imperial C, whoever she is, is again, like another lame attempt, trying to imply some kind of tentative link with me and the Proms. I guess they are trying to suggest  a commercial link, but lack any intelligent argument to expand on the suggestion. 'Little Paul', i kind of like that moniker, like little Richard (who took no shit), so much appreciated.

I have no debate with people enjoying themselves, it is more a rejection and argument against people calling this BBC Promenade 'Northern Soul' and i disagree that it sounds or looks good.

Imperial C, I'm very far from 'poor', (in terms of integrity, honesty and a connection to my soul) but thanks for the concern.
You come across, in terms of only being able to offer a personal attack rather than anything resembling a discussion, as a bit silly, absurd and petulant and that reveals a lot. "Pumpkin"?...you can call me your "little Pumpkin' if it floats your boat, or is it a reference to your top tune by 'Jay and the Techniques'?

the post you are referring to was deleted by the member 6 hours before your posting, you should have respected that and if felt needed discussed the points raised  via pms

no matter what your viewpoint on any topic, repeated personal slurs about other members are not welcome on here

we have had complaints about your style of posts, you do need to change the  'personal' abusive aspect of them

regards

Edited by Mike
Social source share