GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU'RE WANTED 70'S STYRENE REPRO

Adiw

Just a quick question on the 70's Styrene repro/reissue/boot.

I've recently listed this as a reproduction, as when researching a sales list prior to posting I noticed this is available for sale and has previously been listed on reputable websites. Previously, I'd considered this a boot along with other similar items, and not put it up for sale.

Genuine question, what's the difference between them?

Taking Discogs as an example; other boots are generally blocked for sale, this and the Tomangoes seem to be listed

What's the score?

I've withdrawn the copy on the list BTW

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

6 hours ago, Adiw said:

Just a quick question on the 70's Styrene repro/reissue/boot.

I've recently listed this as a reproduction, as when researching a sales list prior to posting I noticed this is available for sale and has previously been listed on reputable websites. Previously, I'd considered this a boot along with other similar items, and not put it up for sale.

Genuine question, what's the difference between them?

Taking Discogs as an example; other boots are generally blocked for sale, this and the Tomangoes seem to be listed

What's the score?

I've withdrawn the copy on the list BTW

They were done with all the other pressings, repro's and boots in the 70's for sellers like Colin Bee and all those others selling in the Black Echoes magazine or those large boxes of pressings in venues. A lot were pressed up at legitimate USA pressing plants like Monarch.  Who knows what was legal and what was not! Reissues from the likes of Columbia, MGM, RCA etc would have been legal, but most of the others probably not. As you will know, a lot of sellers call pressings and boots, reissues to try and make there sales legitimate. To me all that matters is whether it's an original or not!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

It's pretty much how I understand it and to be honest an original is always the main event. I realise that as the years have passed and the scene has grown, there's interest in boots and reissues from a historical view (as well as some of the eye-watering prices for originals!) 

I wanted to get an idea of what separates the perspective of a boot/repro (as you mentioned, it's semantics really - any reissue or boot is a reproduction; only the legality separates them, really.)

Obviously there's some reissues that have been licensed, fair enough; especially when the artist or label/arranger has agreed. Thanks for replying to the post.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert