Eddie Whitehead

No collectors nor from Holland. It's a dreadful yet common practice amongst some dee-jay's "sub-culture" (FWIW that 'C' word has become perverted so much by trendy politically lefties and philosophically liberals alike to sanctify modern dogmas it's hard nowadays to use the term for it's original or anthropological meaning... That here I tried to use in the proper sense as 'sub') that some are used to encounter like with Jamaican pressings and in this case of yours like for those records that came into the hands of Surinamese (a "tribal" scene on it's own) dee-jays. Hence the Holland connection...

Social source share

20 hours ago, Theothertosspot said:

I have a copy of Eddie Whitehead (JYF) on Blackjack. The label on "b" side has been half removed and crosses (like a lattice) have been penned in.

Was told that collectors from Netherlands do that to records (sacralidge I know).

Any ideas if this is true and why.

Info appreciated thanks.

Here in the Netherlands (not 'Holland') the markings on labels, usually sweet soul tunes favoured by collectors/devotees of Suriname's output, served two purposes:

1/ to cover-up the track/label/artist... and

2/ to mark records uniquely to prevent theft when DJ'ing at down-home, sweet soul music parties.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!