JMAuction - 08/03/2023 - Results!

As a fan of the rare and little known records:

I don't think I would have regarded the Scott Three so highly - or am I very much mistaken here?

As for this fancy Kimtone record, however, I would have seen at least double - certainly a nice bargain. Rare label!

The Parisians have also not been accessible in any auctions or set sales for a while, so a relatively reasonable price.
I always confuse the Parisians with the Brand New Faces on LUJUNA, so I was briefly looking forward to a mega rarity when put online.

Come on, John, throw a LUJUNA into the ring, please ... ### 💥

Social source share

Noticed John Manship missed the Aussie 'Ember' release of Mr. Flood's Party - Compared To What.  Worth mentioning because he went into all the other releases to build credability of the 45 he was auctioning... and he missed one!!

I didn't think much of the rest to be honest, I love the Patterson Twins, but for £2k, that track doesnt move my mountain... the Kimtone record, sorry guys that was a dreadful track.. £2k to look at a rare label... Unexciting would be the best descriptive word I can offer...

Pat Brown, great track, but folks have been saying the same for 20 odd years... I'd have flipped to get a copy back then, but it just seems old me now...

The Uptights was the best record on that list, but fifty quid too much I thought..

W&G.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, Louise said:

The Patterson Twins fetching more than The Scott Three wow !!!!

I don't get it with the Patterson twins, back in the day at Grapevine we acquired a 50 count box with 47 copies in due to the slip of the tongue (long story) from the Malaco Warehouse, which John Anderson, Garry J. Cape and myself distributed around to the great unwashed at £250 a throw (in fact the last few copies only went for £200 if i remember correctly as they became harder to sell). The 3 missing copies from the 50 count box also ended up in the UK with 3 different collectors, they can add their own stories to the thread. 

Dave

ye i had one  from that find dave .kept it for years but sold it on eventually.. i thought it may hit a grand in that type of auction but new money obviously rules and probably has no knowledge of that find

9 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

Special Delivery ! Geez, I record having at least two copies for re-sale every year for the past five, and I could hardly class myself as a dealer. Could never bring myself to charge more than thirty squid, boy is that a common record!

i did sell one for an astronomical £60 a couple of weeks ago

Social source share

I got a Patterson Twins from JA, not sure if it was one of the 47 or before, but also got one from Malaco when I visited them in the late 90s. Won't go into detail, but it was because they asked me about someone who had written from Britain who claimed to be a big fan of the group forever, but was a record dealer / DJ (not one of the main ones) and I was honest with them. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Mal C said:

Noticed John Manship missed the Aussie 'Ember' release of Mr. Flood's Party - Compared To What.  Worth mentioning because he went into all the other releases to build credability of the 45 he was auctioning... and he missed one!!

And he missed another release of the "good version", german Metronome. Never take Manship as gospel.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Mal C said:

I didn't think much of the rest to be honest, I love the Patterson Twins, but for £2k, that track doesnt move my mountain... the Kimtone record, sorry guys that was a dreadful track.. £2k to look at a rare label... Unexciting would be the best descriptive word I can offer...

Pat Brown, great track, but folks have been saying the same for 20 odd years... I'd have flipped to get a copy back then, but it just seems old me now...

The Uptights was the best record on that list, but fifty quid too much I thought..

W&G.jpg

I agree the Kim tone 45 is a terrible tune/song,but did it not go for 115 quid? Not 2k? 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Dewsburyborn said:

Yep, as the finder of those said copies in the old Malaco warehouse, it brought a chuckle to me then and still does as to why whoever else wouldn't have taken more if not all copies. I got to know those Malaco guys pretty well back then and gave them 3 times their asking price to their bemusement; that holds me in good staid with them to this day.

Just across town in James Bennett's, why would someone take a handful of Earl White Jr's and not the whole box ....

In my case, I sensed they knew of its value or demand and I think they were seeing if I was a stand up guy or a chancer, especially as I was a "walk in" who they didn't know (and here is today's visitor from Britain....). As not a record dealer, never have wanted or needed multiple copies of records Garry. 

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

I agree the Kim tone 45 is a terrible tune/song,but did it not go for 115 quid? Not 2k? 

ahhhh... you're right there...

Still, not worth £115 either BAH HUMBUG!! laughing

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

18 hours ago, Louise said:

The Patterson Twins fetching more than The Scott Three wow !!!!

I don't get it with the Patterson twins, back in the day at Grapevine we acquired a 50 count box with 47 copies in due to the slip of the tongue (long story) from the Malaco Warehouse, which John Anderson, Garry J. Cape and myself distributed around to the great unwashed at £250 a throw (in fact the last few copies only went for £200 if i remember correctly as they became harder to sell). The 3 missing copies from the 50 count box also ended up in the UK with 3 different collectors, they can add their own stories to the thread. 

Dave

Yes Gary Cape, at least you left us the empty boxes, so we new that you had taken the rest 🤣

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!