Betty Everett - No place to hide

Benji
Go to solution Solved by The Yank,

Sparse but nice cover version of Ben E. King. Does anyone know what the first vinyl release was? Discogs lists a 45 on Sherry Hill but that 45 looks like a boot to me. I guess first ever release was on a 1977 best of comp.

Discogs entry for the 45: https://www.discogs.com/de/release/2876113-Betty-Everette-No-Place-To-Hide-People-Around-Me

Discogs entry for the compilation: https://www.discogs.com/de/release/7177491-Betty-Everett-Woman-With-Soul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• Solution
16 hours ago, Benji said:

Sparse but nice cover version of Ben E. King. Does anyone know what the first vinyl release was? Discogs lists a 45 on Sherry Hill but that 45 looks like a boot to me. I guess first ever release was on a 1977 best of comp.

I agree- I think the album was the 1st release. I've never heard of the label (Sherry Hill) and have never seen a U.S. 45 where they put the state 1st before the city- Illinois, Chicago or Michigan, Detroit. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

To me it is a very modern press. Close inspection of the scan reveals the telltale "rings" that appear on a lot of modern day presses. (All the Northern boots like Salvadors / Sam Williams etc. are just a small example. I can only assume it is some new process that either printers or pressing plants use. It's more noticable just above the "HIDE" in the title.

R-2876113-1490373181-7337.jpg.44d53eaca2b628020bfd49087884d9a6.jpg

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
typo
Social source share

On 04/03/2023 at 09:05, The Yank said:

I agree- I think the album was the 1st release. I've never heard of the label (Sherry Hill) and have never seen a U.S. 45 where they put the state 1st before the city- Illinois, Chicago or Michigan, Detroit. 

I agree with everything you say here.  I can tell by the label font and what is written on it, that this is very modern pressing, definitely made by non-Americans.  The state is never listed before the city.  Furthermore, I never saw any Betty Everett original pressing of that song by VJ.  VJ recorded

that song, with Calvin Carter running the session.  Betty was signed by VJ directly from The Leaner Brothers' One-der-ful/Mar-V-Lus Records, when her contract with them lapsed.  As far as I know, she never recorded that song with any small, Chicago label.  I never saw any "Sherry Hill Records" label in Chicago back in 1962-64.  Like The Yank stated above, I believe that "No Place To Hide" was issued originally on Betty's LP.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

To me it is a very modern press. Close inspection of the scan reveals the telltale "rings" that appear on a lot of modern day presses. (All the Northern boots like Salvadors / Sam Williams etc. are just a small example. I can only assume it is some new process that either printers or pressing plants use. It's more noticable just above the "HIDE" in the title.

R-2876113-1490373181-7337.jpg.44d53eaca2b628020bfd49087884d9a6.jpg

You‘re absolutely right. Modern day press. Pretty obvious.

Have to admit I never look closer at the label scan on Discogs. Should have done so.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!