The soul scene

Go to solution Solved by Tazhoughton,

Hi I'm just enquiring about how ss members still feel about the northern scene from venues etc. I speak from 40 odd yrs in the scene and the changes have been enormous such as not so many nighters but more club/pub doos.this is not a complaint just a observation, a few friends we know us included have more soul nights at home where we play our tunes and talk about yesterday's.we live in the Staffordshire area and we used to go to venues nearly every weekend but have scaled it back now due to when we find a venue that suites us it generally closes at some point .some of the venues haven't felt friendly or welcoming this is what us and our friends have felt.i know this is still a absolute fantastic genre to be in and hope it plays on forever, any thoughts out there ,and has anybody seen changes that have improved or not this music scene .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Nothing like honesty ,and I totally agree some weekenders I've been to give the impression that as with your local pub you might be sitting in somebody's place that has sat there for a zillion years and they make you feel sod it I'm off .to many venues and not enough punters overkill ,but the drunks and like seem to like it ,that's what I hear from friends up and down the country.but when you go to a class event it makes up for it but we never have a crap night at home just good tunes and mates no eyebrow frown looks and piss heads arguing drinks all over the so called newly sanded refurbished floor like the one at King power they swapped a perfectly excellent wooden floor for industrial lino,crap and closed after 5yrs became as fitzy said some racist comment .After all that glad I'm staying in and saving my hotel money phew

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Chalky said:

Too many divs and undesirables, the kinda we went to nighters to get away from.

Too many events, more Djs and promoters than punters.  No imagination, no idea most them. 

Still some good events out there, usually the smaller ones. 

That exactly sums up what my wife and I have found since we have been here from Canada. We have been to 6 different nights around the Gloucester/Worcester area and are amazed at the amount of people we didnt know, and the aount of people we expected to see who dont bother anymore. All venues have been reasonably well attended though. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Colouredman said:

The biggest problem now, which affects everything from whats played, to whether a venue is busy or not, or actually any good or worth attending is the fact that as a scene we’ve basically self destructed. From having a scene which was a defined genre, with an approximate consensus on what constituted a Northern record (by and large), now we have so many scenes within one scene that it raises the question of whether ‘Northern’ is still a genre any more.

We seem unable to stop reinventing what it is, in an effort to keep coming up with ‘new’. So now when you go to a venue, you could be listening to some semi Doo Wopp record made in 1961, or an R&B record made in 62, or something made and recorded last week!

There is no reliable, identifiable consensus on what Northern is anymore. In the past if someone told me a record I ddnt know was great Northern, it probably was. Now if someone tells me something is great Northern, I find myself asking privately...”yes, but what kind of Northern?”

When I was a teenager in the 70’s I could pretty accurately tell someone that a lot of Northern was similar to Motown, or at the very least 4 beats to the bar, with a black sound, strong backbeat etc. But what would I tell em Northern is now??? 

Most people within 5 years of my age (65) grew up with Motown, it was in the charts and played everywhere. So that sound was in our heads, so sliding into Northern with a very similar sound, was easy and perhaps even inevitable. But theres generations since who dont have that Motown/60’s soul sound in their heads or historic musical experience, and so they dont necesarily have the benchmarks to assess Northern as it used to be.

My impression is that there is a community of punters who dont really know much about music; 60’s with a beat doesnt make it Northern, black with no beat doesnt make it Northern either, nor does you liking it and enjoy dancing to it. Equally having a collection and wanting to dj does not in itself equal a dj!

As a scene its probably lost its way, add to that venue overkill, and the age of a lot of us, its probably past its ‘sell by’ as a scene. But that said, the finest examples of the best Rare Soul music a person could ever hear, still exist, and will forever, regardless of their being a ‘scene’ or not.

I agree with a lot you've said, there's not enough open mindedness, most records are overplayed in every element of the scene. However, I've seen similar letters in blues and soul in the 70's with sentiments bemoaning 'it ain't what it used to be', the north may rise again, but only if people will put there phones away! 😂

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I THINK THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE ,IS ON A TOP OF A HILL AND IS GOING TO SLIDE TO THE BOTTOM OVER THE NEXT 10 YEARS. THE SMALL CLUBS ARE HOLDING THE WEEKENDERS UP WHICH ARE POOR WITH DJS PLAYING THE SAME RECORD UP TO FIVE OR SIX TIMES A NIGHT,PLUS STAFF AT BRID COULDNT EVEN GET ME A CHAIR FOR MY DISABLED WIFE. IM SELLING UP WITH MY RECORDS AND THINK WHAT HAPPEND WITH TED IS A TURNING POINT FOR BIG COLLECTORS AND DJS TO THINK.BUT I STILL LOVO IT?KTF

Social source share

On 03/03/2023 at 08:47, Stephen Houghton said:

Hi I'm just enquiring about how ss members still feel about the northern scene from venues etc. I speak from 40 odd yrs in the scene and the changes have been enormous such as not so many nighters but more club/pub doos.this is not a complaint just a observation, a few friends we know us included have more soul nights at home where we play our tunes and talk about yesterday's.we live in the Staffordshire area and we used to go to venues nearly every weekend but have scaled it back now due to when we find a venue that suites us it generally closes at some point .some of the venues haven't felt friendly or welcoming this is what us and our friends have felt.i know this is still a absolute fantastic genre to be in and hope it plays on forever, any thoughts out there ,and has anybody seen changes that have improved or not this music scene .

This is exactly what I tried to say in a previous post. What I didn't expect was a torent of abuse from people who I had previously respected. I merely said in the post I put up that a neighbour (who is still fairly new to the scene) had gone to a local pub event and felt very alienated. She and her husband were made to feel most unwelcome, stared at and all but ushered out of the door.

I personally have not been to a local event since.

Social source share

I remember back in the early 80s , playing cards in the back room at the Carlton in Hinckley, with Woody , Tommo, Martin & a few others and someone brought up the subject of what will be still be doing in our 60s , and the answer was sitting on our arses listening to Rare Soul music between the Bingo sessions, the dance floor at the time in the other room wasn't full by any means , so sitting chatting and having a good time has been a feature for years in good company.

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

I remember back in the early 80s , playing cards in the back room at the Carlton in Hinckley, with Woody , Tomo, Martin & a few others and someone brought up the subject of what will be still be doing in our 60s , and the answer was sitting on our arses

You were 'sitting on your arses' playing cards at soul events in the early 80s predicting you would still be sitting on your arses in your 60s.

Wow! :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

You were 'sitting on your arses' playing cards at soul events in the early 80s predicting you would still be sitting on your arses in your 60s.

Wow! :lol:

It was about 5 am in the morning, but the cards where a regular event at many a venue especially Yate ,I seem to remember back Stage .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

It was about 5 am in the morning, but the cards where a regular event at many a venue especially Yate ,I seem to remember back Stage .

I thought your comment very amusing because generally everything told about being at niters and such is typically about three main things:

1/ the journey to/from the event (stolen cars, robbing chemist shops,  jumping buses/trains, meeting up at service stations, organised coaches, hitching a lift, getting busted, mates who died)

2/ fighting (or avoiding fighting) with the locals when you got off the train at Wigan/wherever - or, indeed, being 'rolled' in the toilets of an event

3/ dancing non-stop/enjoying the 'gear' and 'being in the moment - but today is not like the old days'

But, you've given us another one:

4/ Scrub the above: the struggles to get there and back home again, the rhapsody of the scene and the music.  No, I was playing cards!

Brilliant! :thumbup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mal C said:

Just some thoughts...

Let me start with Garage posing as Northern Soul, seems to have crept in big the last ten years, I like garage records allot, I collect them, not all of them of course, but I hear people saying this allot, and I'd have to agree, it's not Northern Soul

As keb has often espoused, garage records have always been part of the northern scene, Human being being one early example but there just loads, especially at Wigan.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

As keb has often espoused, garage records have always been part of the northern scene, Human being being one early example but there's just loads, especially at Wigan. I'm not a massive fan personally but variety and quality has always been the key to great sets imho. Mind you, back in the 80's there it did seem like anything deemed as white was sneered at, as not being authentic.

Part of the preoccupation with garage and obsession with 60's only, comeds from a large influx of scooter folk onto the scene, some great characters but they won't go near anything past 1972, and then only if it's got a wah wah and is 120 mph, and they call themselves progressive! 😂

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

19 hours ago, Geeselad said:

As keb has often espoused, garage records have always been part of the northern scene, Human being being one early example but there just loads, especially at Wigan.

Can’t argue with that, I knew I’d get proven wrong as I wrote that out, I think there are the classics, Human Beings, Sheep etc plus loads more, but there does seem to be a steady stream of unknown stuff being offered up. As I say I collect garage, I don’t need converting, I love the stuff. It’s a hard nut to crack this one, but to say we / they/ the new unwashed don’t have that Motown sound as a base as it was to folks in the late 6ts early 7ts… that is different…

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Heres' a garage b side that Karl Rhodes (RIP) successfully covered and excited dance floors to in 2004/5 and which I continued with for a while after 2007 when I finally got copy (had 3 in fact).

I remember when we talked about a cover up name and decided BOBBY SMITH-GIRL would convince people and it did .

The A side is totally different full on Garage.

Great tune!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 03/03/2023 at 08:47, Stephen Houghton said:

Hi Steve, it's Vanda, there is a Soul club in Congleton, not too far away from yourself, it's FTMNTC, Follow The Music Not The Crowd, it might be right up your street music wise, they do advertise on SS. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!