Over priced listings elsewhere

Vadnochka

Am I missing something but it would appear that the 1st page @250 items on discogs  - funk / soul are almost exclusively priced not to sell. Absolutely ludicrous pricing from sellers world-wide - most have been up for sale for years- If you don't view this site - have a look

ridiculous

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

I would sooner pay that bit more for postage than pay the extortionate prices many Uk sellers are asking.  

Let's be honest, it is not just confined to discogs. Ebay is farcical and lists and sales on forums and groups have often laughable prices.

I buy most of my records from discogs at what I consider decent prices.  If I want a record and look at what is for sale I tend not to look after getting three quarters down a list as that is usually the Uk sellers at massively marked up prices compared to say the yanks.  

Also the grading in the States is better than U.K. and EU as we’ve all discussed before 

Social source share

With postage , vat and potentially tax added to foreign record prices driving up prices , dealers here are just pricing records just below potential cost from abroad. Remember record is only worth what is paid for it not what is asked for it. If it’s too dear find something else as there are many to pick from. High prices also tends to mean record has a good chance of being well known …. If you don’t want to pay too much don’t moan just look harder….

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Further up-date - prices appear to have taken a further jump upwards from many well known British dealers that list set-sale items since I posted originally - absurd 

But it appears everybody's getting in on the act 

Got a price increase notification from Virgin Media today - 17% inclusive - Who the hell do they think they are -the 'nurses'

Look also at the 1st page on Discogs - Funk/Soul (250) - ludicrously priced additions and mid rang (700 -1000) - Page 3 see whats in that segment.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Vadnochka said:

Further up-date - prices appear to have taken a further jump upwards from many well known British dealers that list set-sale items since I posted originally - absurd 

But it appears everybody's getting in on the act 

Got a price increase notification from Virgin Media today - 17% inclusive - Who the hell do they think they are -the 'nurses'

In Finland the media providers are all doing this. Two of the big 3 are doing it Ryanair-style, adding charges to services that can be opted out of following a short grace period. No doubt this is because the regulators force them to do this, but considering the monthly subs they get for packages they design to suit themselves anyway, it's a bit rich.

Would be interested to know if this is a more general trend. I can see why higher electricity prices would force media firms to up prices, but wholesale gas prices are now at their lowest for some time:

https://www.catalyst-commercial.co.uk/wholesale-gas-prices/

Sorry for the off topic digression.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

In Finland the media providers are all doing this. Two of the big 3 are doing it Ryanair-style, adding charges to services that can be opted out of following a short grace period. No doubt this is because the regulators force them to do this, but considering the monthly subs they get for packages they design to suit themselves anyway, it's a bit rich.

Would be interested to know if this is a more general trend. I can see why higher electricity prices would force media firms to up prices, but wholesale gas prices are now at their lowest for some time:

https://www.catalyst-commercial.co.uk/wholesale-gas-prices/

Sorry for the off topic digression.

rather than saying 'sorry' it be best if you just don't post such in the first place

it's a topic about vinyl prices, links and invites to talk about wholesale gas prices in our main soul forum are not really welcome 

thanks

Social source share

i guess anyone can list a record on ebay, discogs etc, and not even own it? Put a ridiculous price on it that wouldn't attract a buyer's interest, so would never have to produce it for sale. To my knowledge, there is no authentication of ownership. Maybe it's  a 15 minute of fame thing.

Social source share

You do wonder if sellers actually want to sell anything or just lob them onto discogs and ebay in the hope someone bites. I've blocked a few sellers on discogs who want me to drop ship and one who buys stuff and puts super ridiculous prices on (this I did on principle) 

As Chalky rightly states above I've bought more 45s from USA / Europe where the record is priced right and postage is realistic and so far I've avoided duty fees etc. making it far cheaper than UK sellers. 

I did ask one very well known seller if he'd take an offer on a 45 that was priced at least twice as it's actual value only to be turned down. Off I went to the states. Needless to say that 45 is still for sale months on... 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

i personally think that those in the know peruse cogs and put there price with post to the nearest high price without the vat costs ,those that don't know go to ebay and charge/ask what they like but a certain seller whom i know personally has had records on cogs for years and NONE have sold at his asking price myself i buy all over and as the old saying goes it's what you are prepared to pay ??  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The great thing about discogs is that it is set sale or offer not auction - The number of top sounds I've found on there at a fraction of there perceived UK price I could not remember - so always worth a look but as all sites you have to be relentless or lucky - a combination of the two is usually a winning formula. So skip page 1 & 2 as you'll still be in the'000's. regardless of inflated prices and save 30mins of your life each time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!