COLIN CURTIS Talks to IAN PEP PEREIRA OF CATACOMBS FAME

Colin Dimond

Found out about this via Pep's Facebook page and listened to it yesterday. Over the course of four hours the history of the scene was charted from early stirrings circa 1967/8 through to, early Wigan, 1974.

Pep talked about venues before the Catacombs around the west midlands and Colin did likewise in the potteries; parallel experiences but geographically different. The records played followed the chronology of the period so things like Darkest Days and Mr Bang Bang Man featured early on with each record being commented on as to where and when played, by whom, and dance-floor reaction. I know some are irritated by the who played what, where narrative but, personally, I find it fascinating and it helped trace the scene's development through its formative tears. Pep also made a point of informing us where he obtained records and connections with dealers and record suppliers from around the UK and the USA. Thus we were introduced to Martin Koppel, who we can thank for Bobby Treetop, and the mysterious Simon Sousan amongst others.

The stories around individual records were the most interesting, how and where they were discovered and their connections to individuals and their impact. Here's a few standouts in no particular order:

Kelly Brothers, Love Time: Max had copies of this and passed them on to several DJs, among them Alan Day who hammered it so much it almost became a second 'Slow Fizz' for him. I was never that keen on Love Time, but the Slow Fizz...Junction, Torch, Catacombs.. a big sound for 12 months or more.

Otis Smith, Let Her Go: Bought blind on recommendation at the Torch and asked Keith Minshull to play it. Went on to go huge in the summer of '73 at the Catacombs..

Velours, I'm Gonna Change: Another massive sound from the same era. First introduced at the Cats on a Wednesday night if memory serves. Instant impact, no need to wait for this to take off after a few plays. Top sound for a long time as Pep had the only copy. When his record box was stolen this had been loaned out to be played at the Mecca that night and so escaped the fate of the rest of his top sounds.

Jimmy McFarland, Lonely Lover: With the cream of his collection gone, Pep was forced to put together a playlist of lesser known sounds and this fell into that category. I don't recall it from that time, but it did go on to get plays at Wigan, apparently, and at Stafford in 1985, where I first heard it. One record that disappeared with the box was Wingate's Love-in Strings, Let's Have a Love-in, a brilliant Ric-tic instrumental. With that not available the less rare vocal version graced the decks for the next few weeks.

There was lots more of interest to anybody who was there (and even if you weren't) with plenty of specific detail and informed commentary worth listening to.

Recommended.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!