Football Season 2022/23 cont...

Mike

It seems to be no longer about sport but all about money and the making of more money.  The top teams seem to doing their level best to make the majority hate them.

I want the super league to happen so we can get rid of those involved.  I want Chelsea to get relegated not that it will happen.  They have made a mockery of FFP and as usual those running the game realise this too late.

Man City, well they aren't alone in what they are doing, just they got caught.

We don't seem to be talking about the football these days.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Liverpool, perfect example of keeping a team together too long.  Aging midfield who have lost their pace and energy, maybe they are tired.  Same thing happened with Man U towards the end of Fergie reign.

City seem to be having issues with their team as well with too many unsettled.  Hard to keep that big a squad with players who would walk into any other team happy.  Arsenal and Man U seem tyo be benifiting form Man City and Liverpool problems.  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

As an Arsenal fan I will not entertain any discussion about titles until April at least.

My concerns being that whilst we have a very good first XI proven to be a match for any other team in the league we do not have the ability (luxury?) to rotate players as often as City and our high energy game may catch up with us towards the end of the season (especially once the Europe League kicks in again). Hopefully in enough forthcoming games we can get 3 up within the hour then give some of the key players a rest with 30 mins to go.

Regarding Liverpool there was discussion earlier in the season about Klopp never going beyond seven seasons with any of the clubs he has managed. My theory is he is too loyal to players that have brought clubs success and he is not ruthless enough to replace them when their levels start to drop through age. Thus preventing him from to rebuild successful teams a la Fergie.

The fight at the bottom is intriguing with nearly nine clubs possibly involved in a relegation battle. Dyche is a canny acquisition by Everton and I can see many other clubs will now find things sticky at Goodison (like Arsenal last weekend)

Feel sorry for Potter at Chelsea. Not sure how many of the signings are wanted by him. The new owners seem to be playing their own actual game of Fantasy Football. In any other season 17 signings in two windows by a so called "top 6" club would only happen if I was managing them in Football Manager! 

The job Eddie Howe is doing at Newcastle is pretty amazing; yes I know they are bankrolled by Saudi but he seems to have control over signings and there have been few marquee (commercial) signings than I had expected with players being brought in to strengthen the first XI unlike Chelsea.

I could go on...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

For what it's worth my opinion is they should have let the greedy 6 go. Their  desperate attempt to ring fence their monopoly on winning stuff is anti competition and anti football. Could have replaced them with famous old clubs from the championship and had a cracking level playing field premier league.

As for the present season I see man city winning it" sorry arsenal"  relegation wise to tight to call with 8/9 teams possibly involved, including my boys .

F a cup is obviously going to the resurgent full strength super foxes.😉🤣

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 10/02/2023 at 19:11, Soulfusion said:

As an Arsenal fan I will not entertain any discussion about titles until April at least.

My concerns being that whilst we have a very good first XI proven to be a match for any other team in the league we do not have the ability (luxury?) to rotate players as often as City and our high energy game may catch up with us towards the end of the season (especially once the Europe League kicks in again). Hopefully in enough forthcoming games we can get 3 up within the hour then give some of the key players a rest with 30 mins to go.

Regarding Liverpool there was discussion earlier in the season about Klopp never going beyond seven seasons with any of the clubs he has managed. My theory is he is too loyal to players that have brought clubs success and he is not ruthless enough to replace them when their levels start to drop through age. Thus preventing him from to rebuild successful teams a la Fergie.

The fight at the bottom is intriguing with nearly nine clubs possibly involved in a relegation battle. Dyche is a canny acquisition by Everton and I can see many other clubs will now find things sticky at Goodison (like Arsenal last weekend)

Feel sorry for Potter at Chelsea. Not sure how many of the signings are wanted by him. The new owners seem to be playing their own actual game of Fantasy Football. In any other season 17 signings in two windows by a so called "top 6" club would only happen if I was managing them in Football Manager! 

The job Eddie Howe is doing at Newcastle is pretty amazing; yes I know they are bankrolled by Saudi but he seems to have control over signings and there have been few marquee (commercial) signings than I had expected with players being brought in to strengthen the first XI unlike Chelsea.

I could go on...

I think Klopp is being held back on the spending front by the owners who want to sell.  They need a major overhaul of the midfield and a number 9, a centre half as well.

Chelsea, well it ws obvious to all they needed a striker, 600 million and still no striker.  Newcastle struggling a little at the minute, Arsenal beginning to drop points.  Man City will win, Man U look like challenging though.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/02/2023 at 10:33, Steve G said:

Seriously worried about this season. Think we'll end up in the mire with Soton, Bournemouth etc. and our league position flatters us. Mentioning Soton, I see "Nathan Jones" has already been canned by Southampton. Not a case of him being gone too long then.   

I know what you mean Steve but still have faith in Pat. It's a far cry from the terrible, boring football under Roy and I'd hate to go back to that under desperation. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Edited by Daved
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Daved said:

Arsenal had their chances but made mistakes and City were too clinical and too good. Surely they're in the driving seat now.

Arsenal were a bit naive at times, only to be expected with young players.  City showed their class and experience.

Both sets of players however should be brought to task over the surrounding of the ref and the petulance shown throughout the game.

Social source share

well some strange results ..yet again my team gaining six points within a week..but defence still needs a sort out ,city dropping points , Chelsea ..again ,MAN U SEEM TO BE THE TEAM TO CATCH AND SHOULD GAIN ANOTHER HOME WIN TODAY ,NICE TO BLUENOSES OUT OF THE BOTTOM 3 ,computer stats stating top 3 should be arsenal,city,liverpool ...now that is a big ask ??

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/02/2023 at 18:53, Daved said:

I know what you mean Steve but still have faith in Pat. It's a far cry from the terrible, boring football under Roy and I'd hate to go back to that under desperation. I'm sure we'll be fine.

How you feeling about things now Dave? Odds on for relegation in my book with Vieira. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Steve G said:

How you feeling about things now Dave? Odds on for relegation in my book with Vieira. 

I am starting to have second thoughts about him. It's been terrible recently, but still think we'll be ok and will get points against the teams around us. I can't think who would be a better replacement.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2023 at 09:01, Daved said:

I am starting to have second thoughts about him. It's been terrible recently, but still think we'll be ok and will get points against the teams around us. I can't think who would be a better replacement.

Update. In Roy we trust. 🙂 

Social source share

On 01/04/2023 at 17:28, Steve G said:

Update. In Roy we trust. 🙂 

Not sure Steve. I was really chuffed when he left and only a club like Palace would reappoint him after he bored us all to death. I can't thinking a performance like we had on Saturday is going to be very far and few between.

Social source share

On 03/04/2023 at 19:41, Daved said:

Not sure Steve. I was really chuffed when he left and only a club like Palace would reappoint him after he bored us all to death. I can't thinking a performance like we had on Saturday is going to be very far and few between.

Dave, Update 2. In Roy we trust. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Steve G said:

Marked his team "Safe" from relegation. 

Looks like I'll have to eat my words Steve. It makes you wonder why we so boring for the last two seasons he was in charge.

I still hope someone else takes over next season and Roy can leave on a high.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Daved said:

Looks like I'll have to eat my words Steve. It makes you wonder why we so boring for the last two seasons he was in charge.

I could never understand the way he set Palace up in the past as he has proved his teams can play decent attacking football in the past.  Having said that he had nothing to lose here and they needed wins so had to go for it...offence really is the best form of defence.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Daved said:

He turned it around, it was like watching a different team.  As Chalky says he had to go for it, defence wasn't an option. Now watch the vultures start to make a move on our players. 

Social source share

Certainly seems that Southampton are going down and looking increasingly dicey for Everton and Leicester. Interesting last roll of the dice for Leeds. Never known so many Premier League clubs rack up three managers in a single season by the way. Can Forest pull off a miracle? Pleased that the Forest board have stuck with Cooper.

Chelsea fortunate that Potter did such a good job with a bloated and unbalanced squad early season!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!