The Girls "the Hurts Still Here" (memphis)

Soul Shrews

Anyone know anything about this lovley 45?

Asking this partly for my good friend (non soul sourcer) John "Kipper"Kerr tho I'd like to know meself

Who were The Girls? Was there only one 45?

Kipper asked the Ice Man himself a couple of weeks ago but Jerry couldn't help

Any soul sourcers know anything?

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I don't know who they were... but those Girls sure could sing!

One of the best double siders around for under £20 with the triffic vocal gymnastics on the flip "Mark My Words".

Wouldn't be surprised to find it was Jewel Bass and Thomisine Anderson etc. (Carbon Copies?).

Sean Hampsey

No idea Sean, all I know (and this is from the "Ice Mans" mouth) is that the girls came from Memphis

He didn"t have much to do with the label just payrolled it.

Apparantly they had a very "nice state of the art " studio which was eventually sold on to Isaac Hayes.

So who are............. The Girls?

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Guest stromberg

For those that do own a copy what's the condition like, I haven't found anyone to date that has a 'mint' copy; mine seems to be like everyone else's and comes with surface scratch's but play's great.

mine also has light scratches..

this 45 obviously has many friends and I am one of them..but it suprises me that in the various threads on here no one has mentioned so far that the flipside is also very good, it is called: Mark my word :wicked:

Social source share

Asking this partly for my good friend (non soul sourcer) John "Kipper"Kerr tho I'd like to know meself

Cheers Paul Woosnam

the Girls were from Ardell gardens, housing directly south of Chicago, which is where the Lovelites and Cheers were from, along with a bunch of other Chicago groups. NOT from Memphis ... other people who are from the same area told me about them.

Edited by boba
Social source share

the Girls were from Ardell gardens, housing directly south of Chicago, which is where the Lovelites and Cheers were from, along with a bunch of other Chicago groups. NOT from Memphis ... other people who are from the same area told me about them.

Hi Bob,

Do you know if they recorded anything else either as "The Girls" or under any other name?

Sean

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Hi Paul, this has already been discussed last year...I think I started the thread. I'm not sure how to look back in the archive but the info you need is in that thread....we all agreed back then that the lead vocalist was stunning. Hope that helps :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Hi Bob,

Do you know if they recorded anything else either as "The Girls" or under any other name?

Sean

Hi Sean. I don't know right now, I'm still digging into Ardell gardens stuff, will post when I get more info. A few other ardell gardens groups/artists were the wasters / dynamic heartbeats, shades of brown, ralph johnson (his doowop group was the de'bonairs on ping), plus a few more I'm not thinking of now.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Paul, this has already been discussed last year...I think I started the thread. I'm not sure how to look back in the archive but the info you need is in that thread....we all agreed back then that the lead vocalist was stunning. Hope that helps :wicked: Jo

You did Jo.

And I still havent changed my mind. I think its weak, and instantly forgettable. boxing.gif

Social source share

Me too Mikey. Ollie Nightingale Memphis 105 on the other hand is a different matter. I would put both James Spencer Memphis 101 Billy Butler & infinity on Memphis 103 before the Girls. I am sure I seem to remember a terry callier writing credit on this, it certainly has that 'sort' of sound.

Social source share

Me too Mikey. Ollie Nightingale Memphis 105 on the other hand is a different matter. I would put both James Spencer Memphis 101 Billy Butler & infinity on Memphis 103 before the Girls. I am sure I seem to remember a terry callier writing credit on this, it certainly has that 'sort' of sound.

Agree, there's some great stuff on the Memphis logo, although the original poster was asking for more info on the artist rather than claiming it to be the best thing on the label.

From memory the writer was Earl Cage, who has superb credentials within Southern Soul circles (Spencer Wiggins "I Can't Be Satisfied" etc.).

Don't concur with the comment from Mikey at all... as I feel it's a standout midtempo, finger snapper with amazing production and vocals... but, hey, diversity rules!

Anyone else know anything about The Girls?

:D

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

You did Jo.

And I still havent changed my mind. I think its weak, and instantly forgettable. :shades:

Levine was raving about this years ago, usual build up fantastic, blah blah , brilliant blah blah, one of the best blah & after that kind of build up i was expecting something special - hmm i'm with you Mikey :D

Social source share

For those that do own a copy what's the condition like, I haven't found anyone to date that has a 'mint' copy; mine seems to be like everyone else's and comes with surface scratch's but play's great.

We had at least 40+ MINT copies about 8 years ago, all in those lovely "Memphis" company sleeves.. we have sold 44 all of them mint.

last price we got was £50 for the stock copy

(the DJ only has 1 song) "The Hurt's Still Here"

i think the price started @ about a £5 for the first 15 or so then steadily crept up. Before anyone asks we haven't a single copy left..

I was looking for a copy in case I could glean some info from the label credits top add to this thread..failed miserably.

Social source share

We had at least 40+ MINT copies about 8 years ago, all in those lovely "Memphis" company sleeves.. we have sold 44 all of them mint.

last price we got was £50 for the stock copy

(the DJ only has 1 song) "The Hurt's Still Here"

i think the price started @ about a £5 for the first 15 or so then steadily crept up. Before anyone asks we haven't a single copy left..

I was looking for a copy in case I could glean some info from the label credits top add to this thread..failed miserably.

I was first introduced to this beautiful 45 by John Orritt in the late 80's - a man who can always spot a good tune when he hears one thumbsup.gif

btw I have a spare minty copy in Memphis sleeve.

Please pm me if anyone's interested in it?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Paul, this has already been discussed last year...I think I started the thread. I'm not sure how to look back in the archive but the info you need is in that thread....we all agreed back then that the lead vocalist was stunning. Hope that helps
thumbsup.gif
Jo

Ooops! Must have missed that Jo, sorry. I did "search" The Girls before I posted but didn"t see anything.

I agree stunning lead one of the reasons we'd like to know more.

Cheers Paul

PS Anybody link me to the original thread?

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Blimey fancy Mr Butler getting his Girls mixed up
ohmy.gif:rolleyes:

Thanks for that boba any more info would be really appreciated.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert