Authentic a stock copy Hoagy Lands / Laurie

Mal C

Just reading the comments on John Manships auction site around the stock copy on Hoagy Lands / Laurie, anybody tell me how to spot it, and whats a later press ot boot?

I dont have any bootleg guides any longer...

Best

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

is it that easy?  something tells me its not quite as clear cut...

Presumably the thread is referring to this vinyl original variation . . .

996381990_HLVinylIssue.jpg.0914afd6b2c9bbbf6cd4990f3b172e13.jpg

I thought I was alone in this Mal, but I have always had doubts about the original vinyl issue of this.

In comparison, the vimyl demo is loud and clear, whereas the vinyl issue is low volume and slightly muffled. (The muffled sound could have been the copies I have had due to condition, but volume drop would be consitent).

It's okay in itself with nothing to compare it against, but (for me at least) playing one after the other opens up nagging doubts. I have mentioned it before, but I don't think anyone picked up on it.

I have never seen any other vinyl issue variation (apart from the white boot), so I am not sure either way as it could be that it was pressed using a different master at the same time and place. If this is the case so be it (it does happen a lot), but I suppose without evidence it is down to opinion and gut instinct.

Over the years, mainly in the 2000s I have sold the issues as reissues, just to cover myself. If I picked one up now I would still do the same.

Social source share

Yes, that’s the one I have doubts about Mick.  With the Dynamics and Dean Parish boots and second presses and God knows what else, it's a label that just seems to be deemed authentic if you have a demo... pretty much. 

I guess George Smith is too rare to be thrown in with those titles, and Chiffons is pretty common and never booted to my knowledge...

So jury is still out on this one, but I agree every time I play it, and Play it loads, just not convinced...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Presumably the thread is referring to this vinyl original variation . . .

996381990_HLVinylIssue.jpg.0914afd6b2c9bbbf6cd4990f3b172e13.jpg

I thought I was alone in this Mal, but I have always had doubts about the original vinyl issue of this.

I have one of these,   always played it out as an original.     thats what i bought it as ...... 

Social source share

Depending in regard of playback rendition I prefer some of my 45's on styrene and some on vinyl when both variations do co-exists. Then when multiple pressings plants are also involved I get to pick again the one I prefer when and if I can.

Here with this record my preference has always been for the vinyl pressing. The whole mastering well balanced tone here gives the tune the class it's aiming for. Where the styrene mastering there emphasis too much on the 'highs' IMO.

Although Hoagy's sultry vocal 'jumps out' upfront on the styrene pressing. Styrene pressings can be amazing. But with the music in the back and the 'tom' kick upfront it's the whole tune that suffers from being less balanced I find. 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

I’m lead to believe this is an early 70s. Had a couple recently that I sold cheap

Hi Dave,you are most probably right with that,I bought this one cheap about 25+ years ago and was lead to believe it was a 70’s press at the time...it is styrene,and plays loud and clear...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mgm 1251 said:

Hi Dave,you are most probably right with that,I bought this one cheap about 25+ years ago and was lead to believe it was a 70’s press at the time...it is styrene,and plays loud and clear...

Yes I think it's an early seventies reissue about the same time they did a Laurie press of the Dynamics "Yes I love You Baby" for the Northern Soul scene demand.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The original stockers styrene seem to be much rarer than their promo counterparts indeed as opposed to the original vinyl issue where the stockers are more common than the promo like 3 or 4 to 1.

As for the "playback" difference mind you there are two vinyl variants. One is machined stamp and the other one is scratched in. Could that be an indicator for the difference in playback definition ?

My current machined stamp vinyl stocker plays perfectly and I am sensitive to quality playback from my beloved 45's on my proper MONO phono set-up. Am certain that the vinyl promos sounds the same.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!