Tv - Must Watch Shows

Mike

4 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

If you've not seen toast of London, first thing that's made me laugh on TV for a long time. 

Just fantastic, I came late to Toast and it's sometimes too surreal for me but the best bits are some of the funniest TV I've seen for ages

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Geeselad said:

If you've not seen toast of London, first thing that's made me laugh on TV for a long time. 

I often wonder a half hour episode of stuff like this takes to record, there must be constant 'corpsing' by the cast, maybe they do their bits in isolation?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Simon T said:

I often wonder a half hour episode of stuff like this takes to record, there must be constant 'corpsing' by the cast, maybe they do their bits in isolation?

Not really thought about it but that is interesting. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 19:49, Peter99 said:

I didn't bother watching this for a bit, I thought it would be a bit tongue in cheek; however, having just finished watching the series, I can highly recommend checking it out. 

Blue Lights is a television drama series, set in Belfast, Northern Ireland, following three probationary police officers of the Police Service of Northern Ireland. The series was broadcast on BBC One and BBC iPlayer, premiering on 27 March 2023; it has been re-commissioned for a second series, which began filming in 2023. 

Peter

what did you think of series 2?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Prime TV: Escape at Dannemora.  Based on a true story, it's a slow-burner but excellent and worth a watch, another great cast and top performances from the three main character's.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Simon T said:

what did you think of series 2?

Just about finished 2. Nowhere near as good as 1, but ok. It feels a bit like Casualty in some bits. 

I'm looking for top Prime tips - I've just managed to get it working.

🙂

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Just about finished 2. Nowhere near as good as 1, but ok. It feels a bit like Casualty in some bits. 

I'm looking for top Prime tips - I've just managed to get it working.

🙂

I was very disappointed with series 2. I see series 3 & 4 have been commissioned, but I can't see them going ahead. Since they killed off Gerry, there's no character that I'm particularly bothered about.

Social source share

"Unlocked: A Jail Experiment"

I enjoyed this.

"Unlocked: A Jail Experiment is a mini series that follows the inmates of a cell block in Little Rock Arkansas as they navigate and negotiate life in jail environment, but without guards and without locks on their cell doors."

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just finished "Baby reindeer" which has got a tremendous amount of traction in the media.

Difficult watch at times but completely compelling.

True story based on hopeful comedian, Richard Gadd, who plays himself, and the disturbing and warped relationship he has with a female stalker.

As good as anything I've seen recently.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 22/04/2024 at 12:44, Jaco said:

Just finished "Baby reindeer" which has got a tremendous amount of traction in the media.

Difficult watch at times but completely compelling.

True story based on hopeful comedian, Richard Gadd, who plays himself, and the disturbing and warped relationship he has with a female stalker.

As good as anything I've seen recently.

Not exactly 'feel good' or 'family friendly' Great acting, but a little too grim for me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n187n8rlvo

Social source share

On 21/04/2024 at 19:55, Simon T said:

I was very disappointed with series 2. I see series 3 & 4 have been commissioned, but I can't see them going ahead. Since they killed off Gerry, there's no character that I'm particularly bothered about.

Spoiler

Social source share

I'm a fan of the Traitors series, I've enjoyed both UK series, US , New Zealand and the Australian series 1 and I've just finished series 2 on BBC I Player. Wow this second series will take some beating. Rodger the host is brilliant, for me the best host of them all. The contestants were really stupid on this one. I've never shouted NO NO you stupid so & so as much as I did at this lot. Top telly.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

On 11/04/2024 at 13:57, Chris Turnbull said:

Just fantastic, I came late to Toast and it's sometimes too surreal for me but the best bits are some of the funniest TV I've seen for ages

matt berry is quite a musician on the side,nice melodies and he plays loads of instruments,also funny in what we do in the shadows

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Half way through Love / Hate, Irish crime drama from a few years back on ITVX - couldn’t recommend highly enough, totally addictive and fantastic cast 

It's excellent isn't it Chris. It's a Simon T recommendation. There's lots of great things coming out of Ireland.

We could do with some more recommendations...............................

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

It's excellent isn't it Chris. It's a Simon T recommendation. There's lots of great things coming out of Ireland.

We could do with some more recommendations...............................

Posted about these two  recently:

Lies We Tell
In the Land of Saints and Sinners

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Simon T said:

Posted about these two  recently:

Lies We Tell
In the Land of Saints and Sinners

Not a spoiler but scroll down if you are spoiler extra sensitive. 

It's funny; well not actually. I've started watching both of these and I'm finding there to be a little too much character previous, and quite cheesy protagonist posturing and dialogue. 

Funny that, a shame, I was looking forward to both of them.

I hope you're alright Simon.

Peter

🙂

Social source share

20 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Not a spoiler but scroll down if you are spoiler extra sensitive. 

I'm finding there to be a little too much character previous, and quite cheesy protagonist posturing and dialogue. 

Monsieur Pierre (through the window)

I don't recognize the quote as one from Barry Norman so presuming it's some twaddle from Mark Kermode.

Please could you expand & clarify for a thicko, eejit, dinlo like me.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The Asunta Case on Netflix, Spanish drama based on a true story of a young girls murder. Brilliantly crafted, we've got one episode to go and still unsure of the final outcome. One where you want to read the actual story behind the series.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2024 at 18:40, Simon T said:

I don't recognize the quote as one from Barry Norman so presuming it's some twaddle from Mark Kermode.

I'm too thick!

Peter

Social source share

On 03/05/2024 at 18:40, Simon T said:

sheer class 🙂

Social source share

Posted (edited)

I might be a bit late to this but: has Snowfall on iplayer, BBC2 been mentioned yet? I'm just watching season 1 and I'm enjoying it - quality acting and varied story line, with a sound LA culture airing. I caught the end of a Bobby Womack track - just a few seconds in a scene, followed by Teddy Pendergrass, most of his "The whole town..................". I think the Bobby track was "That's the way I feel about cha". 

Peter

BBC iPlayer - Snowfall

Edited by Peter99
added link
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Simon T said:

No, I'd be too thick to understand!!! 😄

watched owt good lately?

Hello Simon

I just posted one. I also watched a good Brazilian series - I'll go and find the title.

I hope you are all good my friend.

El Pedro of; well, all over really.

😆

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Original Belgian series The Twelve series 2 finished the other week, brilliant, I would assume ITV will do a remake after doing the first series, i can't imagine it will match the Belgian original though . Not a spoiler but if you get it on catch up don't switch off as the credits roll on the last episode as all the loose ends are tied up. Highly recommend.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 01/05/2024 at 16:11, petegroover said:

matt berry is quite a musician on the side,nice melodies and he plays loads of instruments,also funny in what we do in the shadows

yea he's underated big time,and does actual big budget film voice work -ref his wk in toast with clem fandango

the rookie,resident alien and other weird shit-enjoy

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on season 3 of the bear on disney

seasons 1 and 2 were superb so hoping for more of the same

The x-mas meal near end of season 2 being the best episode so far.  So intense.

Social source share

Currently watch “Painkiller” on Netflix. Film style documentary about America’s opioid epidemic, its causes and consequences. Deeply disturbing as how a family in the pharmaceutical business conspired to effectively cause addiction to painkillers, purely for profit. Episode one done and looking forward to the rest. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Just purchased the the 6 part "We own this city" from Prime Video, seen it before, but it's addictive, the true story, (dramatised) of Wayne Jenkins, leader in chief of the most ruthless and corrupt Police squad in America, they were a squad especially put together, called The Gun Trace Task Force, on the ghetto streets of Baltimore, this only happened about 10 years ago, some of their antics beggar belief, and they convinced themselves they were doing God's work, just as addictive as his previous work (David Simon) The Wire 👍 👌 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Jaco said:

Currently watch “Painkiller” on Netflix. Film style documentary about America’s opioid epidemic, its causes and consequences. Deeply disturbing as how a family in the pharmaceutical business conspired to effectively cause addiction to painkillers, purely for profit. Episode one done and looking forward to the rest. 

It was very good. Interesting to see Matthew Broderick to play the bad guy so well for a change.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2024 at 11:51, Kev Cane said:

Just purchased the the 6 part "We own this city" from Prime Video, seen it before, but it's addictive, the true story, (dramatised) of Wayne Jenkins, leader in chief of the most ruthless and corrupt Police squad in America, they were a squad especially put together, called The Gun Trace Task Force, on the ghetto streets of Baltimore, this only happened about 10 years ago, some of their antics beggar belief, and they convinced themselves they were doing God's work, just as addictive as his previous work (David Simon) The Wire 👍 👌 

Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for this. I'm going to give it a go now.

Peter

👍👊

Social source share

A few documentaries worth a watch. Really enjoyed Tricky Dick on Sky documentaries about the career of Richard Nixon, a masterclass in smiling while lying through your teeth.Also Fugitive:The Mystery of the Crypto Queen  on C4. Attica :Americas Bloodiest Prison Uprising on BBC4

Social source share

On 11/01/2024 at 14:11, Gogger said:

Enjoyed slow horses on Apple TV, catching up with two doors down on bbc I player 

Late catch up, got through series 1 & 2 so far both highly recommended.  Looking fwd to the next 2 series.

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 04/08/2024 at 19:51, Soulman58 said:

Late catch up, got through series 1 & 2 so far both highly recommended.  Looking fwd to the next 2 series.

I've just recently see this too and it's by far the best series I've seen for years. Gary Oldman steals the show. I'm a big fane of the spy genre and this is brings it down to earth a bit. Very funny in parts too. John Le Carre has written about these smaller offices where the cast-offs get to do the grunt work. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I've been scrolling, switching, channel hopping, clicking.............................

I've not been able to find anything that has grabbed by interest despite my frustrating efforts above. Finally, I stumbled across Wanted on Netflix. I don't normally get on with Australian tv/films etc - one thing I don't appreciate too much is the Australian accent; but I got past that and have to say that I'm enjoying this. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5193358/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Anyone found anything else that may be of interest to me? 

Thank you.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!