Chicago labels?

Tommy1
Go to solution Solved by Kenb,

Double Soul could be Detroit, owned by Sammy Kaplan and Jerry -O (Murry)  as far as I can ascertain, Jerry-O also involved with Boo-Ga-Loo.  Boo-Ga-Loo publishing and the label Boo-Ga-Loo is I believe Detroit in the main but also has links to Illinois with distribution and Chicago.  E-Rodney is a best known as a Chicago DJ.  Other acts across the labels are Chicago acts though.  I'd go with Chicago.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Double Soul could be Detroit, owned by Sammy Kaplan and Jerry -O (Murry)  as far as I can ascertain, Jerry-O also involved with Boo-Ga-Loo.  Boo-Ga-Loo publishing and the label Boo-Ga-Loo is I believe Detroit in the main but also has links to Illinois with distribution and Chicago.  E-Rodney is a best known as a Chicago DJ.  Other acts across the labels are Chicago acts though.  I'd go with Chicago.

Thanks Chalky!
The "Right on-Right on" also had a release on Detroit Label Westbound, so no doubt connections. Record World wrote this in May 1970 when it was released on Westbound. Calling it a "new single", so first on Westbound, or just new on Westbound? 
It had (Sex Machine) in title on Westbound, maybe to sell more, or is it a different take?

Rondey Jones Right on-right on RW 23.05.1970.PNG

Edited by Tommy1
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I'd say "Right On, Right On" came out first on Double Soul and then got picked up by Westbound. It's hard to see but on this survey from April 12th the single is at #12 which means it had to be out for awhile and the title of the song has no mention of "... (Sex Machine)"

E Rod.JPG

• Thanks 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I'd say "Right On, Right On" came out first on Double Soul and then got picked up by Westbound. It's hard to see but on this survey from April 12th the single is at #12 which means it had to be out for awhile and the title of the song has no mention of "... (Sex Machine)"

That's what I thought too. Thanks for info!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!