Chairman of the Board - Manchester Show

Go to solution Solved by Kesalocasoul,

Hopefully some kind Soul can help me....my memory is not what it was.

I atended the Chairman of the Board show at Manchester Odeon, in I think, Summer of 1971 ?

What I do recall is that only 3 members of the group appeared (General Johnson, Harrison Kennedy and probably Danny Woods). The remaining member ( Eddie Curtis?) did not appear and I don't recall the reason ( Did he miss the entire UK tour?

Also, All 3 members appeared as a SOLO act, i.e. they did not sing on stage as a "Group". My memory is that most of the audience was confused as to the whole show.

Doed anybody else have any recollection of events?

Date?

Suporting Act?

Also, what happened to Caroline, who I took to the show?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Like you I saw them about the same time c. 1972 in Croydon (I think). You are right in your memory that Eddie Custis didn’t appear. However at the show I saw they came with their own band with each member taking the lead. Harrison was rather in the shadow of Woods and Johnson.

Danny Woods was outstanding. He belted out ‘Pay to the Piper’ which remains my favourite of theirs to this day.

Social source share

• Solution

Chairmen of the Board toured the UK in the Summer of 1971, in October 1972 and again in September/October 1973.

The first tour - the show you probably remember - was criticised in B&S (see attachment from B&S #62).  There had been a lengthy article on the group, following their poll win as the "most promising new act", in the previous issue.

I saw them perform at Pickett's Lock, Edmonton on 4 October 1973.  Great show, but three very different musical personalities, with Harrison Kennedy being more of a rock than a soul performer.  It was good to see General (Norman) Johnson sing live for the first time.

Incidentally, the former member was Eddie Custis.

https://www.thatphillysound.com/copy-of-johnny-caswell

157443232_1971BS62ChairmenoftheBoard.thumb.jpg.463b5a888917d68954449a7ae7634d5d.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks Guys.

Yes...Summer of 1971 and that was the show, with the guy from Crumpsall, Manchester ( Blues & Soul article above) sharing my thoughts on the performance. People left head scratching I think...3 solo acts...not great either.

Regarding the Flirtations...I can't recall if I saw their act. I Presume I did.

Thank you.

Edited by Owd Codger
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that night, if I remember  correctly there were two performances with the theatre only 25% full if that.

The show was a shambles with the Chairmen obviously not wanting to be there.

It was all the worse because The Four Tops had been on a few months earlier and they were sensational.

Social source share

Hello Meter Man

Yes that about sums it up.

Regarding the Four Tops, I saw them a number of times on their Manchester shows. Always very good, but I do recall seeing them blown away by The Spinners...75/76?

Perhaps it was because The Spinner's show was fresh, and The Four Tops was "routine" by then.

Great Show though.

Edited by Owd Codger
Social source share

Fast forward 50 years and great to see the COTB still working / touring.

Interesting 25 mins or so here from 4 yrs ago on the North Carolina Channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNxBEgAXAQ

They toured a bit in the UK in 2016, maybe again since I’m not sure. I was lucky to see them at the Roadmender in Northampton that September and really entertaining, sounded superb live!

Ken can sure still sing and blow a tune on sax. Thomas Hunter superb and Brandon Stevens did a song on his own from memory and has stunning vocals to my ears, perhaps has done some other solo work I don’t know but will have a look.

Managed to get a really cool pic afterwards…

AC220404-881C-43DD-BE36-684FA0ACF7AE.thumb.jpeg.a637846f3f6624c3f3ccd479d2be479d.jpeg
Left to right, Thomas Hunter, Ken Knox, Brandon Stevens

Edited by Scotters
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert