Records For My Funeral

It's a bit like having a will. When the reaper picks your number out, how do you know that your nearest and dearest ain't gonna end up playin Whitney's 'I will always love you' , or, even worse, Benny Hill's 'Ernie - the fastest milkman in the west. Or summat.......

Anyway, for the record, just so's you all know (copy to my solicitors if i had one))..............

Freddie Scott - Mr Heartache

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me

Charles Mann - it's All over

Keep smiling :wicked:

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

15105 refosoul I'd like this one at my funeral... It's important to make a list I think. I know Lindsay knows that I want Out On The Floor but the vicar allows at least 3 tunes doesn't he? Not that I want a vicar - I'm not a believer... so I'd need a soul-vicar :wicked:

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

People get ready by the Impressions then Mahalia Jackson singing Take my hand Precious Lord as the curtain closes.

As everyone congregates outside, Ernie Johnson I cant stand the pain and Minnie Jones Shadow of a Memory get played.

:wicked:

Dave

Social source share

Pyramid.

Has anyone else encountered this, I'm not sure if it's the case everywhere.

Sadly my father in law passed at Christmas, we had his funeral at the beginning of this year.

The question of music to be played came up, and I was shocked to discover that they had stopped people bringing their favourite CD or tape etc

Apparently, If it isn't on our vast database they said then unfortunately we can't play it.

We do try and have only failed a couple of times to find someones favourite piece of music.

Shocked :wicked: Surely this is wrong.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've heard of people who have taken their favourite piece of vinyl with them in the coffin. I also heard on the radio a while ago that you can now have your ashes pressed up as a 45. The question is would you like to spend the rest of eternity as a bootleg...? :wicked:

Social source share

I've heard of people who have taken their favourite piece of vinyl with them in the coffin. I also heard on the radio a while ago that you can now have your ashes pressed up as a 45. The question is would you like to spend the rest of eternity as a bootleg...? :wicked:

That's quality! I knew you could be made into a firework etc, but pressed up as a record? Outstanding! :ohmy: Tell me more!

Steve

Social source share

eddie parker - im gone

In respect of records for a funeral service , I would have to select one of the best pieces of music that I have heard / played at one , to be the one that took the coffin of dear Dave Godin into the crematorium ....... the theme from " Gone With The

Wind " .

It made me smile upon hearing it , as it was typical David ; knowing it will have been selected by him , to create such an effect , and being very much tongue in cheek .......

In respect of three tunes to dispatch this mortal frame off to , It has long been a subject of discussion at Chez Burton .... and I still have not decided on the other two to accompany Esther Phillips' " Just Say

Goodbye " ; but one of them is likely to be Big Maybelle's " Oh Lord , What Are You Doing To Me " .

My family respect that I want a New Orleans Jazz Band after the service - to go to the wake of course - and I am hopeful that they will incorperate " You Didn't Say A Word " and " Thumb A Ride " into their repotoire .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

It's a bit like having a will. When the reaper picks your number out, how do you know that your nearest and dearest ain't gonna end up playin Whitney's 'I will always love you' , or, even worse, Benny Hill's 'Ernie - the fastest milkman in the west. Or summat.......

Anyway, for the record, just so's you all know (copy to my solicitors if i had one))..............

Keep smiling :wicked:

Steve

I intend being cremated so it will have to be Open The Door To Your Hearth...I mean heart!! :ohmy:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

the man who invented the ockie cokie died last week had a problem putting him in his coffin when laying out the body they put his right leg in his left leg sprung out, one hell of a job to screw the coffin down :)

Social source share

Len Watson - Dancing with your memory

Peter James - Feelings

and the first hymn I ever learned in infants school....Glad that I live am I.

Ted wants ...always look on the bright side of life

Social source share

Guest WorcSoulSurvivor

JJ Barnes - Please Let me in

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight is all over

Jackie Wilson - I've lost you

All a bit obvious, but i got a long time yet!!! :)

Edited by WorcSoulSurvivor
Social source share

Guest kev such

I just wanna be buried in a box with an ipod with everlasting batteries in it and on continuous play of as many tracks as possible.

So that if i ever get dug up in 300 years or so the music will still be playing.

regards

Kev.

Social source share

Keep smiling :)

Steve

Had a conversation about whis a while back and after a few suggestions (many of which already mentioned on this thread) a friend (of the young female variety) came up with Remember me- Diana Ross, left me speechless and after all these years it now takes on a different slant whenever i hear it! inspired choice me thinks!

Pete

Social source share

Guest Heartandsoul

I'm on my way to a better place, Chairmen of the Board, Invictus (INV 527), 1972.

heartandsoul

Doncaster

Edited by Heartandsoul
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I've got a mate who wants Harry Star - Another Time Another Place as he goes into church, and on his way out he want's Step Into My World playing. Both tracks give me goosebumps! I'd be crying at hearing the intro to both these tracks.

I'm going out to Rodd Keith - Like The Lord Said.

Social source share

15105 refosoul I'd like this one at my funeral... It's important to make a list I think. I know Lindsay knows that I want Out On The Floor but the vicar allows at least 3 tunes doesn't he? Not that I want a vicar - I'm not a believer... so I'd need a soul-vicar biggrin.gif

in that case you'll have to pick Chris Cooper whos runs a soul club ( Pilsley) and is a PastorNodding.gif

Social source share

in that case you'll have to pick Chris Cooper whos runs a soul club ( Pilsley) and is a PastorNodding.gif

Actually, my choices are evolving since I started this thread......

Thinking on, I'm going for Idris Muhammed - 'I'm A Believer'. Just in case. Should score well on the last minute brownie-pointometer .................... innocent.gif

Amen

Steve

Social source share

Shocked to read that the powers that be would not allow the family not to have their favourite music. When my father was cremated we had three pieces of classical music that my sister said he particularly liked.

For my wife I had three I knew she wanted (McArthur Park, Pearl Fishers Duet, Bridge Over Troubled Water), and This Old Heart Of Mine (her first present to me) and for the coffin going behind the curtain Jimmy Radcliffe's Long After Tonight Is All Over, one she loved and had danced to at Whitby only a short time earlier.

For myself I want These Memories (Almeta Lattimore) and It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom (Walter Jackson) definitely. Can't make up my mind about the others, something dancey I think.

On a serious note it would probably be a good idea to have something in your will about your choice of music, would help grieving relatives.

Social source share

Had a conversation about this a while back and after a few suggestions (many of which already mentioned on this thread) a friend (of the young female variety) came up with Remember me- Diana Ross, left me speechless and after all these years it now takes on a different slant whenever i hear it! inspired choice me thinks!

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert