Legendary Philly Soul Man Thom Bell R.I.P.

Chalky

From the age of 15 Thom Bell was a name that meant quality to me. Trawling through market stalls and record shops, you always knew the record was worth having if he had anything to do with it. I'm sure I read somewhere that in later life he became a recluse.

RIP, up there with the best of them

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/12/2022 at 22:02, Chalky said:

Thye sad news just keeps coming with the death of legendary Philadelphia Soul Man Thom Bell.

R.I.P. and thank you for the music

licensed-image.thumb.jpeg.12adf0c183be10a6ec0607fefccd3ed2.jpeg

https://www.soultracks.com/story-thom-bell-dies

(December 22, 2022) We are devastated to share the news of the passing of the iconic producer, arranger and songwriter Thom Bell, at age 79, as reported by Philadelphia station WDAS-FM. Much of Soul music history over the last half century has revolved around great producer/artist combinations.  But no combination was more pleasing than the work of the Spinners and producer Thom Bell from 1972-77.  With "Mighty Three" partners Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, Bell created the Sound of Philadelphia, the most important and dominant sound of the early and mid 70s, and the heir to the dominant Motown sound of the 60s.  And as a songwriter, producer and arranger, Bell established himself as one of the most important Soul music figures of all time.

Oh my gosh 😞 yes very sad indeed, genius for sure.

Social source share

I grew up on songs arranged, written and/or produced by Thom Bell - Often not realising that fact until much later in life!

Classically trained Thom was one of the first to successfully integrate orchestral sounds into arrangements and production without losing the soul.

The retrospective CD from Kent a few years back is an essential listen.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulfusion said:

I grew up on songs arranged, written and/or produced by Thom Bell - Often not realising that fact until much later in life!

Classically trained Thom was one of the first to successfully integrate orchestral sounds into arrangements and production without losing the soul.

The retrospective CD from Kent a few years back is an essential listen.

Indeed ... fingers crossed for volume 2 :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!