Are many people on here NOT record collectors?

Just interested......

I notice the vast majority on here are keen record collectors,judging by the posts. 

I was just wondering if there are many members who love the music and are active on here, but who don't collect vinyl?

I sold the majority of my Northern collection back in the mid 80s to a well known DJ / member here. 

I still have a small collection of (newer) vinyl  and a stack of CDs. But mostly am just a listener now and in no way a collector. 

Just wondering if I am very much the minority? 

Social source share

...similar, I don't consider myself a collector, I love music ( a lot of types) and records just happen to be the way I listen to it...I come to the site (and forum) for the depth of info thats on here...folk always posting about records / variations  / alternate takes... that I wouldn't come across anywhere else...its great...

Social source share

1 minute ago, Pigeon Thing said:

...similar, I don't consider myself a collector, I love music ( a lot of types) and records just happen to be the way I listen to it...I come to the site (and forum) for the depth of info thats on here...folk always posting about records / variations  / alternate takes... that I wouldn't come across anywhere else...its great...

...reading the above back, this could just be the way I justify buying records to myself..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I collect the music that I like, although I can get sidetracked by special series or issues or reissues. Not sure that makes me a "collector", but there seems to be enough music cluttering the house. I buy almost exclusively cds, ranging across various styles of soul and jazz. If forced to I will purchase vinyl or downloads if there's no other way of having the music.

Social source share

I collect only via CDs & legal downloads not vinyl anymore, which I stopped and sold fifteen years ago.  I buy every month and look out for old and new Soul music continually. I enjoy my still growing library as a personal streaming cloud service via a great service called Astiga. I have over 80000 songs in the Soul library with many  duplicate songs from CDs removed. Lots of fun to put on shuffle!

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Similar to others, stopped buying Vinyl a while ago, unless I see the odd bargain at a local second hand record shop.   Never saw myself as anything other than a mainly soul fan, with odd bits thrown in, rather than a collector.  Rarely paid more than £25 for anything.

Changed to CDs at some point though these tend to be compilations now.

Having converted all vinyl and CDs to sound files I have added the odd track at 79p or 99p since COVID as I have listened to more shows online and discovered odd things I didn't know have that I have downloaded. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Wayoutgirl said:

Not in the least a collector however I am partial to buying a few over the year and squirreling  them away 😁.The latest buy is a pre order of Joe Johnson that won't break the bank as well. 

Sandra 

Screenshot_20221216-164540_Samsung Internet.jpg

If only we could find ‘that other one’ for you Sandra - keep looking

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Could never say I'm a collector...  too much out there, too much cost involved.   Always thought about collecting a specific 45 label where there's only half a dozen or so in the entire label.  But where do you go after this?  Where would it stop!

Social source share

Long before CDs and downloads the only way to listen to a song would be on the 45 or LP so back then I'd try to buy everything I liked but also started buying records that were on certain labels or artists even if it wasn't a must have title. In the 70s the labels I'd look for were such as Ric-Tic, Mirwood, Okeh, Loma, Brunswick, Thelma, and lots of others. Never had , or wanted, complete runs of some of these but came close on a few. All were arranged by label so I suppose this would count as being a collection. Sold up in the late 70s but then started buying again in the 80s ,singles and the compilation albums on Kent, Soul Supply, Grapevine etc. Like others now buy the occasional cheap 45 but mostly CDs. If there are a series of CD titles I buy every volume as it comes out which might count as collecting but with the likes of Kent these are always too good to miss anyway. 

Having looked at RobbK's definition of a collector I'm perilously close in another area but that could be a subject for the Freebasing forum one day. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!