Software and set up for PC and tuner/amp

Mikehump
Go to solution Solved by Pigeon Thing,

Ever since I started recording vinyl to MP3 I've used Creative software originally with a Soundblaster Platinum card.

Hassle free and would often get comments about good sound quality of my recordings. 

My set up 

• Sony turntable
  • Super legato linear amp
  • External sound card
  • PC=Dell Optiplex 9020 with standard sound card (8mb RAM)
  • Windows 10 pro

All pretty standard and give good performance without being audiophile quality.

Problem: Creative have stopped supporting Window's 10, gradually the system has become a nightmare to operate and no longer records.

Want to change software for managing Tunes, recording and ripping from. Would like to retain "what you hear" facility.

Any techies out there with a view on the best way forward. 

Mike

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

22 hours ago, Mikehump said:

Ever since I started recording vinyl to MP3 I've used Creative software originally with a Soundblaster Platinum card.

Hassle free and would often get comments about good sound quality of my recordings. 

My set up 

• Sony turntable
  • Super legato linear amp
  • External sound card
  • PC=Dell Optiplex 9020 with standard sound card (8mb RAM)
  • Windows 10 pro

All pretty standard and give good performance without being audiophile quality.

Problem: Creative have stopped supporting Window's 10, gradually the system has become a nightmare to operate and no longer records.

Want to change software for managing Tunes, recording and ripping from. Would like to retain "what you hear" facility.

Any techies out there with a view on the best way forward. 

Mike

Are you using the software that originally came with the Soundblaster Platinum card?

Are you using an external sound card, if so what make is it?

Or are you using the internal sound card?

A change of software may not sort it. You may need to update the sound card drivers to ones compatible with windows 10. 

you then probably need to go to Control Panel > Sounds and under 'recording' disable the microphone and unable Stereo Mixer. But they not show until you have installed the drivers and software(free ones are out there)

Social source share

Hello Simon

Thanks for the response.  The old Creative Platinum went when the PC was changed With Windows 10. I have Creative speakers on the PC and updated Media Source software came with them, Media Source is no longer supported for Windows 10. I bought an external sound card from Maplin (unbranded) has been fine so far but way short of Creative. 

I reckon I've probably got to start again - I was just wondering if there was an option for going backwards to a simple set up without Windows 10 using an alternative compatible software product (probably ditching the external sound card). If so, which software. I take your point about software not being the sole answer.

Mike 

Social source share

Hi Mike. I had a similar problem a few years ago and decided to ditch the Sound-blaster Soundcard and go for a dedicated audio recorder like this one from Tascam.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DR-05X-Portable-Audio-Recorder/dp/B07N1HGVNS/ref=asc_df_B07N1HGVNS?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79989527880011&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589104294423&psc=1

I simply connect the preamp output from my turntable to the recorder via phono lead to 1/4" audio jack and hit record. The recorder lets you choose between formats such as .wav or MP3.

I can send you a few example sound files if required but the quality is first rate.

Dave 

Edited by Only Dreaming
typo
Social source share

6 hours ago, Benji said:

I highly recommend Behringer U-Control audio interface. Shouldn't cost more than 20 euros or so.

It connects amp and PC/laptop. For recording and editing I use free app Audacity. 

That's what I use....iMac here though but shouldn't be much different in the set up.  As you say use audacity software.

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-U-Control-UCA222-USB-Audio-Interface/AML?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JacBhC0ARIsAIxybyOxcWZx9NKFuZXq9NdZWhlwQenP2EAhXxdYQsQtgMCCDedIW1IXSOQaAoCPEALw_wcB

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert