Rarest Soul 12"

Dave Thorley

All right's to this music has just been bought by Numero Group from Chicago, look out for loads of amazing unreleased material coming out on a series of 12" singles all off of original tapes. A lot of this will be unissued and incredible Gene Redd productions!

That's absolutely superb news!!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 218
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Is it a proper label or just a white label with test press writen / stamped on it? Is there anything on the other side?

Maybe someone has just taken the track from the LP and pressed some up?

Having said that 'Candy' by the Softones was released on a 7", but as the B side to 'Don't Listen To Your Friends' which is not on the Softone & first class LP youv seen. It's 3:18 on the single & 6:08 on the LP.

HI SIMON IT'S A WHITE LABEL WITH TEST PRESSING PRINTED ON IT ON THE OTHER SIDE IS DONT LISTEN IT CAME FROM A GOOD DEALER WHO I TRUST SO I THINK IT'S REAL IN THE RUN OUT GROOVE IT SAYS DISC MASTERS VC OR THIS COULD BE UC THANKS FOR THE REPLY

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Following along from the other tread about earliest 12", what do we all think is the hardest one to find...

Denise LaSalle - "I'm So Hot" (MCA 1980) US 12" sold for $567! :wicked:yes.gif

Social source share

Martin, Has to be said I am so pleased this site is no longer so Norhern focused.

:wicked:thumbsup.gif

Cheers Gav :shades:

Think the daily themes have helped no end both from a Northern & Modern point of view.

Most of the credit has to go to all the other Mods as well especially Rachel for keeping it all together & credit also has to go to all the site members too for all there contributions.

Anyway back on topic.

Anybody got any info on the Crue-L Grand Orchestra 4x12" promo box set from Japan?

Think only 100 were pressed & never seen one or even heard any of the tracks but been told there's some good stuff on e'm.

PS. Saving Spend The Day Without You for Tuesday.

Social source share

Anybody got any info on the Crue-L Grand Orchestra 4x12" promo box set from Japan?

Think only 100 were pressed & never seen one or even heard any of the tracks but been told there's some good stuff on e'm.

yes i heard this too....understand they went to taste maker shops and never sold that well due to the price...think there are remixes edits etc on by harvey/idjut boys of stuff by philip ramirez etc...although i may be mixing this up with some other crue l grand stuff.....its quite similar in feel to king street...but just a bit more current and funkier twisted etc....not MODERN SOUL at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Dave,

i really rate one of the tracks on the flip "Don`t be so eager" as well.

Mark Houghton

Sounds like it was recorded LONG before 1976 (first 12"s). Was it from a "previously unreleased" tape? Very nice and soulful.

Social source share

Went to the Orwell. Very enjoyable but where were the modern soul fans? You missed a good night. Far from empty but a few more woulda been nice.

I heard that Nick Allen. I know Dave T has a bit of a soft spot for the Beach Music back to his days at Stafford with Cannonball etc but as soon as Nick Allen came on I was back amongst the "shaggers" in Winston-Salem.

Just another tailor-made Beach record, which stood out to me only cos it was so obviously Beach orientated.

ROD

Hi Rod

Great to see you, Mr Withers & respective other halves at The Orwell :shades:

I think Nick Allen stands a good chance of getting spins around the place now that DT & BM have copies. I think it could also cross over to the Northern scene cos of it's similarity to Bobby Womacks 'So many sides of you' which i agree does have that 'beachy - good time' feel to it!

For the record, my copy came from Sam, who sold it me his copy about 7-8 years ago.............after he purchased it from some guy called Rod Shard :D:shades::)

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

A couple that aren't that rare but nice and harder to find, ah Gav :shades:

Keep it secret - lenard lidell - jara

15102 refosoul

Great little tune :)

A well known DJ from Selby had this covered up a couple of years ago :shades:

Another well known DJ from Linslade sold me about 20 copies of this about 10 years ago..........sure i've still got them somewhere too :D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I think that there are a fair few 12" from the 80's that, as yet, are not well know and could turn out to be very hard to find.

Maye Ervin-What is it-Music International

The Mood-Get the love-World Jam

Spirit Band-Keep your love alive-RSP(Bit boogie)

Its like a timewarp on here ! "A bit boogie" Spirit Band ? Its nothing other than boogie, and superb at that, but a strange combination with the above two titles ?

May Ervin rare, you must be joking, common as hell, but come on, its no more than an average track and sounds as if it was recorded in a dustbin such is the quality of the production.

The Mood definately is a tune though !

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I cant figure out how the "quote " boxes work but that last message of mine was in response to another member and not my selection of titles or the opening line. None of them are rare, I get all regularly and have sealed copies of Spririt Band.

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Big shout to Gavin for saying what a relief its not all 60/70's ! I'll echo that !

Precious Taboo one of my top tunes of all time, phenomenal keyboards, dont play the vocal version, only spin the semi vocal flip because the vocalist on the verses is dreadful. BEWARE though, the UK issue on Passion is an awful remix with scratching added and different keyboards, you must have the US JDC !

First Class and Softones is legit, on Parkway # 1557, mines a silver label with black typeface issued 1982.

Arnies Love I have the red EP but only like one of the tracks. More interestingly very few people are aware that the original version of Out of your life is actually by Delegation and appears on their German only Ariola LP from 1982 Deuces High, what a great LP it is, it may be on CD R/I.

Finally the new laws on driving with mobile phones should suit Leeds United. Manager the mouth Wise has instructed his players to get caught as quick as possible, cos its the only way him and any of his hopeless tossers will get 3 points.

Social source share

Maye Ervin-What is it-Music International

May Ervin rare, you must be joking, common as hell, but come on, its no more than an average track and sounds as if it was recorded in a dustbin such is the quality of the production.

I'm a fan of the Maye Ervin but I agree with you on the production. The sound quality is terrible.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert