Rarest Soul 12"

Dave Thorley

• Replies 218
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Phwoooar Love it ... great horns .. just like the early moden soul scene stuff was rolleyes.gif

Instrumental B side,will be sold if i get the right offer whistling.gif

post-1986-1172226837_thumb.jpgLooker or what.

Edited by ken
Social source share

My tuppence here for what it's worth...

Cracking thread everybody - exactly what this site is all about for me - I lost track of 60s stuff in about 1982 - a year after I attended my first-ever soul do in a rough pub called The Trooper on the Chemlsley Wood estate just outside Birmingham - anybody remember that? Been more interested in 70s / Modern stuff since day one really...

Okay - I've personally been dabbling in (rare) 12"s for 20-odd years now and - having just finished reading thru the thread - I'd like to just say that I believe the following to be all be EXTREMELY rare 12s...just cos I've personally been asked for em SO MANY times and have only ever found a couple of em across all of the years I've been dealing records. The ones marked *** I've had for sale at one time or other over the years:

King Tutt / ***Curtis / Alfie Davison / ***Sir-Prize (Bud) / Sam Butler / Jesse Henderson / Hot Liners (Bud) / ***After 5 (Bud) / Jerry Warren

Just outta interest - I currently have a copy of The J's 'When Did You Stop' 12" for sale so if anybody wants one, just get in touch and I'm also open to (serious) offers on my personal copy of Sir-Prize on Budweiser...and yes - it does still sound as good now as it did back in 1990 (or so) when it first popped up...

More to add on this thread later...

Cheers...Mark Rez

Social source share

Guest niceonecyril

Beware She's Pulling My Strings:Flashlight 1978 phillygroove.

I have the aforementioned 12" in my collection,not sure if it's rare or not,any of you educated punters got any ideas?.

Social source share

A couple of tracks which seem to be pretty scarce on 12 (at least to me they do !)are James King- Memory- US Pyramid and Lee Morris - I got played on/Messing with my head -Alleycat.

Mark Houghton

Mark,

Again you come up trumps.

I saw the Lee Morris on 7" of "I got played on" on Alley Cat listed many years ago, but never the 12". I had it on Lee & Co 003, and assumed that it was a leased deal with Alley Cat for wider distribution. But youve shown it's got a a different flip to the Lee & Co release, what's it like? Is this the "Alley Cat" that Charles Wilson was on?

John

Social source share

Original copy's of Take Time - Jagg on Delirium are fairly scarce.

Agreed - forgot about this one - briliant record - more Boogie than Soul for me but a corker none-the-less - only ever had this once - found it in Reckless Records @ Angel for about a tenner back in the very-early 90s - sold it straightaway - somebody mentioned Funder Cooper earlier? I was also lucky enough to find a copy of this on 12" in the other Reckless (Soho) at about the same time for 50p - also sold that one off straightaway too - I think me best-ever find on the 12"s was a copy of Hipnotic 'Are You Lonely' 12" (and very pertinent to this particular thread) for 50p in Camden Record & Tape - it was in with a load of pony Reggae 12s - ain't it always the way? I scoured 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of 12s in a Montreal warehouse looking specifically for copies of this 12" and there's one sat there under me nose in Camden...Chestnut Brothers on same label is also extremely tricky...

Best...MRez

Social source share

How about these (nestling on the shelves at home) -

Final Touch - I'm Ready to Give Up My love - Epic

Charles Earland - Drifting - Mercury

Ace Spectrum - Keep Holding On - Atlantic

I've also got a 12 inch acetate of The Drifters (looks to be an original!) - Pour Your Little Heart Out (now spare as I have a seven)!

Really love the China Burton side as well.

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

I've also got a 12 inch acetate of The Drifters (looks to be an original!) - Pour Your Little Heart Out (now spare as I have a seven)!

Steve.

Wonder where that came from :shades::lol::lol:

BRILL thread - well done Mr Thorley :rolleyes:

Plenty of great (and rare) 12"'s mentioned.

A rare one that i play out occasionally is 'Nick Allen - We need more time - Tume' gotta be rare cos it took BazM (the original 12" hound) years and years to track it down (now we have two copies to play at the Orwell :rolleyes: )

Fantastic record sounding like 'So many sides of you'.........only denied monstrosity cos of it's rarity (imho)

Have a spare copy of Village Choir - Sweet hot lips (did someone mention this?), Sam Butler, Jay Player (proper orig) & Sir Prize currently at Plumb Towers (offers on them all though i'm afraid)

Will think of some more rarities....................

Cheers

Steve

ps Agree on that Jesse Mitchell Dave!

Social source share

Wonder where that came from :shades::lol::lol:

A rare one that i play out occasionally is 'Nick Allen - We need more time - Tume' gotta be rare cos it took BazM (the original 12" hound) years and years to track it down (now we have two copies to play at the Orwell :rolleyes: )

Fantastic record sounding like 'So many sides of you'.........only denied monstrosity cos of it's rarity (imho)

Have a spare copy of Village Choir - Sweet hot lips (did someone mention this?), Sam Butler, Jay Player (proper orig) & Sir Prize currently at Plumb Towers (offers on them all though i'm afraid)

Cheers

Steve

No mention of your Len Rideout 12 plumby ?

Social source share

Mark, Im exactly the opposite and don't have much interest in 70's and later but we did sell a lot of 12" stuff in the shop throughout the 90's,albeit mostly hip-hop/R&B cos it was easy and cheap to pick up.

Had that J's 12" numerous times. If Jerry Warren is that Detroit 12" in pic cover with red border, kinda slowish, a spoken intro something along the lines in lyric of "stopped by your house and another car in the driveway", then we had about 30 of them from the artist. He had more but he either moved and we couldn't find him again or he was doing other things than music and couldn't be bothered selling us any more. I forget which it was as that kinda thing happens a lot when you're looking for records.

So there are copies out there, and unless Jerry's dumped his, a lot of copies holed up somewhere.

ROD

Social source share

Indeed - a NY record that most NY dealers don't know !!!

Girf

Social source share

Wonder where that came from :lol::lol::wicked:

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

I've got one of the Nick Allen's been thinking of playing it out to :shades: . But mine's on T.I.M.E. out of Raliegh, North Carolina

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi Steve

I've got one of the Nick Allen's been thinking of playing it out to :rolleyes: . But mine's on T.I.M.E. out of Raliegh, North Carolina

Sorry T.I.M.E..............had that 'Love shortage' thing in me head for some reason!

Get it played out mate...............so in March that'll be three copies at The Orwell :rolleyes::shades::lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

How about the Canadian 12" issue of Gladys Knight & The Pips "It's A Better Than Good Time" which features the mindblowing Walter Gibbons remix? Not easy to track down.

Now that one I would like....

Social source share

Is John Gibbs Us Steel Orchestra...Trnidad...rare on 12", i have the Steel Funk Lp with the track on it but rarely see the 12.

The 12 isn't that rare but it holds it value £50-£75. I see the 12 more than the album (the version with the slow easy intro).

Social source share

Ahhh Right its Len Rideout Just one more night Hotlicks

Hi Simon

Its Rideout 'Someone Special' (rota 1981) Len Rideout for Hot Licks Productions.

I got my 12 from Des Tousaint cheap a few years ago. I think Keb was selling his 45 last year, he may still have, I'll see him tonight to celebrate his birthday.

Social source share

king tutt definitely very rare...maybe 5/6 copies a few very warped but i,m not counting them..mine never played and my ex girlfriend!! kindly left it in the sun to get further warped...originally came from a store in new york along with 50 copies of flamenking.....priced 50c each...

i would say the really super rare 12's are a few of the budweisers...never released only promos...

SIR PRIZE

HOT LINERS

AFTER 5

how about the FRANK DELL 12' anyone know of that?????

I have the above Budweiser 12's (memories of Kev & Gordon's all-dayers at the 'Blue Moon' in Arnold). I always thought Preston Rawlings 'Forever Lover' was rarer. I only know of two copies. Mr Barnfather had one and I got a copy from Steve Davis which I traded for the Lee McDonald album (the copies that Mark Wimmers & Ray Phillips found). I now no longer have either as I sold the Preston Rawlings on ebay a couple of years ago.

Social source share

Hi Simon

Its Rideout 'Someone Special' (rota 1981) Len Rideout for Hot Licks Productions.

I got my 12 from Des Tousaint cheap a few years ago. I think Keb was selling his 45 last year, he may still have, I'll see him tonight to celebrate his birthday.

Yeah got that one Mark , but theres a few more by him ..keb must be 50 now

Social source share

Was Ivan Neville's "Dance Your Blues Away" on COOKIE issued on a 12"? Never seen one myself, but have been told that it does exist.

How about Vance And Suzzanne on VANTON? Not impossible, but certainly not an easy 12" to track down.

And that Arnie Love 12" on TAP with "We Had Enough" plus two other tunes on it is extremely hard to find. Yes, Lotusland has turned up a bunch of copies but when those are gone that will still remain a very rare record.

I have the other Arnie Love on TAP 'Break Out' with the excellent 'Stop And Make Up Your Mind' and 'Heaven Really Knows' on the flip. Haven't a clue on its rarity/price though ?

Social source share

Yeah got that one Mark , but theres a few more by him ..keb must be 50 now

Hi Simon, its Mr Gurney btw.

He's celebrating his 50th tonight and tomorrow at Madam Jo Jo's with a variety of guests, it should be good.

Hopefully see you there if you fancy it.

Social source share

He's celebrating his 50th tonight and tomorrow at Madam Jo Jo's with a variety of guests, it should be good.

See ya`both there. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Mr Gurney ??? That's a bit posh Mark ! Hope you are well mate ?

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Mr Mark Gurney - as I live and breathe...how u doing old son? It's been a while...

Mark (MRez) O'Shaughnessy

Social source share

Mr Gurney ??? That's a bit posh Mark ! Hope you are well mate ?

Hi Gavin

I'm ok cheers, may make it to the next Yarmouth do, not been since I went about 6-7 years ago. I caught up with Grahame Ellis, Neil and the midlands lads there and Andy D got into a bit of fistycuffs so I re-call. A top weekend, very eventful !

Social source share

Mark,

Again you come up trumps.

I saw the Lee Morris on 7" of "I got played on" on Alley Cat listed many years ago, but never the 12". I had it on Lee & Co 003, and assumed that it was a leased deal with Alley Cat for wider distribution. But youve shown it's got a a different flip to the Lee & Co release, what's it like? Is this the "Alley Cat" that Charles Wilson was on?

John

John,haven`t had time to compare the labels but i think it`s the same Alley Cat Records. "Messing with my head" is a lovely mid-pacer and in my opinion is better than "I got played on" Both sides did get a 7 release on Alley Cat and unlike the 12 i`ve seen a few about in recent years.

Mark H

Social source share

A couple more

Ronnie Loveman Stokes-Touch you again-Philly City

James Bynum-I don't want to lose you-Philly Town(Not that good though)

And about time this hit the wheels of steel again

Jesse Mitchell-It could of been different

It could have been different - jesse mitchell - jdm

15035 refosoul

Dave,

i really rate one of the tracks on the flip "Don`t be so eager" as well.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Hi Mark your right, but it's only on the original. When they issued it over here, they put a dub on the flip

Hi Dave, Wasn`t it on Ardent or Zing ? one of Paul Mooney`s labels (some nice stuff was brought out by them) that released it in the UK

Mark H

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I agree, a few have turned up, I've had 2 and Neil Rushton had a whole bunch...

Yes, but Neil sold them all to a certain someone... who has since shifted the lot!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Hi Gavin

I'm ok cheers, may make it to the next Yarmouth do, not been since I went about 6-7 years ago. I caught up with Grahame Ellis, Neil and the midlands lads there and Andy D got into a bit of fistycuffs so I re-call. A top weekend, very eventful !

Be really good to see you mate.

Yes that was a very eventful weekend :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert