• Replies 218
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I haven't seen too many of this one

The Kapp Ivory Project --- It's over (Det Mi) 12"

Re Jerry Warrren

I had a guy from the US contact me last year who said he Knew Jerry and that he had recorded some new material. He did email some tracks to me but I couldn't open the file as it wasn't mp3. I didn't really bother to follow it up at the time and I don't think I have the email anymore.

Paul

www.soulmusiccollector.com

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Social source share

I haven't seen too many of this one

The Kapp Ivory Project --- It's over (Det Mi) 12"

Re Jerry Warrren

I had a guy from the US contact me last year who said he Knew Jerry and that he had recorded some new material. He did email some tracks to me but I couldn't open the file as it wasn't mp3. I didn't really bother to follow it up at the time and I don't think I have the email anymore.

Paul

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Agree the 12" of Kapp Ivory is not easy to find, only every had one and sold it to Sam one night a Bretby

Social source share

Hi All

Great thread. I was going to post up photos of James King on Pyramid but my digital camera keeps saying batteries dead even though just put new ones in.DOH!

I got the James King a good few years ago off Rod Shard. Although nice little story about finding it. I think it was my second trip to states that Alex Jones found it in Memphis after we spent about 3 days doing a warehouse full of 12"s. I think we bought about 20 u-haul boxes full of 12"s(only 1 James King) from there. So it was nice to eventually get it as i wouldn't have minded keeping it then.

Another one I got from Rod years ago is Vicki - I need some Love on Pun-N-Tane Records. 1984. I'll try and post up a clip. Bit remenisent of Heartbeat - Taana Gardner. Is it anything? I don't know much about it and have never seen another.(But I ain't looked that hard.)

I'll try and sort some scans and clips

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Another one I got from Rod years ago is Vicki - I need some Love on Pun-N-Tane Records. 1984. I'll try and post up a clip. Bit remenisent of Heartbeat - Taana Gardner. Is it anything? I don't know much about it and have never seen another.(But I ain't looked that hard.)

Cheers

Phil

I picked up one of these back in the 90s and have only ever seen one copy since and that was about 6 months ago at a buy it now price of something like 300 euros so look after your copy Phil.

Paul

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Social source share

I've got one of the Nick Allen's been thinking of playing it out to :yes: . But mine's on T.I.M.E. out of Raliegh, North Carolina

I also really like the other track on the 12 which is more funky with some crazy keys and I seem to recall there might be a possible Cameo connection.

Paul

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Social source share

I picked up one of these back in the 90s and have only ever seen one copy since and that was about 6 months ago at a buy it now price of something like 300 euros so look after your copy Phil.

Paul

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info.

I'll keep it safe

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

I picked one of these up on ebay for about $80 about 2/3 years ago. Mine had a Green label, while others said there's was Yellow (think 7" is too?).

Got stolen in a box of 12's last year after I left them at Northern Light over night :yes:

The sound quality is a lot better than the 7, although the track does meander towards the end.

Jamie

Mines orange! (there's an old joke about 'Wotsits' there somewhere) and you're right the bass line kicks on the 12"

There's another thread is the remix 12" better that the orig version, Alfie Davidson and Velvet Hammer as an example. Not particularly on topic for this thread but Shep Pettibones remix of Skyy 'Lets Celebrate' for me has always been an exapmle of the remix taking a track to a new level......................................

Social source share

I have the other Arnie Love on TAP 'Break Out' with the excellent 'Stop And Make Up Your Mind' and 'Heaven Really Knows' on the flip. Haven't a clue on its rarity/price though ?

That one is really nice as well, especially "Stop And Make Up Your Mind", but it isn't as rare as the other one and can be had for about £30-£40 every now and then on eBay.

Some label really should put together an Arnie Love/Arnie's Love compilation. It would turn out great. How much is there? Two 12"s on TAP with 3 songs each, then another two 12"s on Profile and one 12" on Radar. That's 9 vocal tunes and 3 instrumentals. Did he/they release anything else?

Social source share

tried to get sounds to work but failed. DOH! I'll try later.

Another 12 which I was told is scarce but again not too sure. Probably loads in London.

Holly Canada - You been mean to me - Funhouse. 1995 out of Greensboro NC. Mellow street soul tune. Was big in the MCR clubs but I was told most of the DJ's played the cd.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Simon, its Mr Gurney btw.

He's celebrating his 50th tonight and tomorrow at Madam Jo Jo's with a variety of guests, it should be good.

Hopefully see you there if you fancy it.

Ok Mark , Im at the James Trouble doo this weekend . Hop you had a good one then ..Whats all this about

fistycuffs , ( big game today hey ?) :yes:

Social source share

More of a question than a statement.

How rare are Funder Cooper - She's All Right and John Donvon - Looking for you (I think it's a 12) as these have been on my wants list for a while and have never seen them come up, or have I just missed them.

John

Orig Funder Cooper very rare imho...........found one in a collection after looking for many years for it BUT i think it's been booted as a look-a-likey copy in the last couple of years (as has quite a few 12's of this type due to demand on the euro boogie scene)

Social source share

Sorry T.I.M.E..............had that 'Love shortage' thing in me head for some reason!

Get it played out mate...............so in March that'll be three copies at The Orwell :yes::):thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Dave that's why it too me so long to get a copy that bugger Plumb covered up the lable :lol:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Mr Mark Gurney - as I live and breathe...how u doing old son? It's been a while...

Mark (MRez) O'Shaughnessy

All the Mark's are in the house..........

Mark Enrique Lionel Rupert Gideon Gaylord Gurney...how are you? And where's my record?

And Mr O'S...gosh, I haven't seen you for years and years. I still have some tapes of yours maybe via Peter Docherty. See you tonight!

:lol:

Social source share

Following along from the other tread about earliest 12", what do we all think is the hardest one to find. This might throw up a few we don't know. Scans and sound clips if anyone has them would be good too.

Not the hardest by a long shot but not easy to find pprobably reflected by the fact it's $178.00 on e-bay with 4 days to go.....always liked it

IN DEMAND ! 12" PRECIOUS "taboo" US

Social source share

Went to the Orwell. Very enjoyable but where were the modern soul fans? You missed a good night. Far from empty but a few more woulda been nice.

I heard that Nick Allen. I know Dave T has a bit of a soft spot for the Beach Music back to his days at Stafford with Cannonball etc but as soon as Nick Allen came on I was back amongst the "shaggers" in Winston-Salem.

Just another tailor-made Beach record, which stood out to me only cos it was so obviously Beach orientated.

ROD

Social source share

Mark, Im exactly the opposite and don't have much interest in 70's and later but we did sell a lot of 12" stuff in the shop throughout the 90's,albeit mostly hip-hop/R&B cos it was easy and cheap to pick up.

Had that J's 12" numerous times. If Jerry Warren is that Detroit 12" in pic cover with red border, kinda slowish, a spoken intro something along the lines in lyric of "stopped by your house and another car in the driveway", then we had about 30 of them from the artist. He had more but he either moved and we couldn't find him again or he was doing other things than music and couldn't be bothered selling us any more. I forget which it was as that kinda thing happens a lot when you're looking for records.

So there are copies out there, and unless Jerry's dumped his, a lot of copies holed up somewhere.

ROD

Hi Rod - just spotted this and put 2 and 2 together - always wondered why the hell u call yeself 'Modern Soul Sucks' - how u been gettin on mate? Long time since I saw ya - used to love yr gaff in the Market in MCR in the late-80s/early-90s, always something to buy (unlike Dean's gaff!!) - the good old days, eh? I still do a bit with Dave now and again - less and less thesedays however...what are u doing nowadays mate? Still smoking those silly menthol fags :angry: ha ha....

No chance u'll be down here for Soul Revolution tonite then mate?

Take care mate and ta for all the good gear I got from ya down the years...best...Mark

Social source share

Ok Mark , Im at the James Trouble doo this weekend . Hop you had a good one then ..Whats all this about

fistycuffs , ( big game today hey ?) :wicked:

Hey Simon

Is that the do at Shoreditch with Butch & Arthur ? I hope to see you there.

Big Game ? Are you refering to my lot getting their arses kicked by Charlton ? Relegation here we come !

Social source share

All the Mark's are in the house..........

Mark Enrique Lionel Rupert Gideon Gaylord Gurney...how are you? And where's my record?

And Mr O'S...gosh, I haven't seen you for years and years. I still have some tapes of yours maybe via Peter Docherty. See you tonight!

:wicked:

Oi You Cheeky Mare !

Mr Gaylord to you. Nice to hear from you my love, hopefully see you later.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Gaylord Gurney

Less of the Gaylord Gurney pls Kaz - :wicked: he's not confused...see ya there tonite - pls come and say hello...

Mark O

I will....will I still recognise you though? Do you still have your own teeth and everything? See you later!

Social source share

Meant only that 12"s can be (almost) as much of a can of worms as 45s...Pandoras Box and all that...

U get my paypal payment today mate?

Thx...Mark

I wouldn't even think about starting on them Mark. I only really want that Miroslav Vitous one.

Got the paypal, many thanks!

Social source share

post-3810-1172190285_thumb.jpg

anyone know T.Lorin "How Loud Do You Wanna Party" Lorenz ? More of a Funk/Boogie record perhaps but think it's very obscure - Mr Phillips did'nt know it so it must be!

I actually have one of these - got it in a bulk deal many years ago with a few other things, cost maybe three quid...not sure how well it'd go down on the dancefloor as it's kind of messy n'est-ce pas, tho' stranger things have happened :wicked:

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Was Ivan Neville's "Dance Your Blues Away" on COOKIE issued on a 12"? Never seen one myself, but have been told that it does exist.

How about Vance And Suzzanne on VANTON? Not impossible, but certainly not an easy 12" to track down.

And that Arnie Love 12" on TAP with "We Had Enough" plus two other tunes on it is extremely hard to find. Yes, Lotusland has turned up a bunch of copies but when those are gone that will still remain a very rare record.

The Arnie when all is said and done will probably be about 12 copies known worldwide. The Jackie Staudemire 'Invisible Wind' will be about 5 and the Jackie 'Running / Dancin' 12" will clock in at an amazing 3 known copies! All right's to this music has just been bought by Numero Group from Chicago, look out for loads of amazing unreleased material coming out on a series of 12" singles all off of original tapes. A lot of this will be unissued and incredible Gene Redd productions!

a/

Social source share

The Arnie when all is said and done will probably be about 12 copies known worldwide. The Jackie Staudemire 'Invisible Wind' will be about 5

a/

Tom

I have two different Arnie 12"s on TAP "Invisible Wind" plus another 3/4 track EP on a red TAP label and the Jackie Stoudemire "Invisible Wind" 12" which has two other tracks on the flip.

I'm sure I have seen both the Arnie 12"s often but the Jackie Stoudmier only once when I found mine here in the UK.

Paul

www.soulfulgrooves.com

Social source share

HI ALL I'VE GOT A COPY OF THE SOFTONES CANDY 12" TEST PRESSING,ONLY EVER SEEN IT ON AN LP, SO IS THIS RARE OR ARE THERE MORE, WHAT WOULD IT'S VALUE BE?

Is it a proper label or just a white label with test press writen / stamped on it? Is there anything on the other side?

Maybe someone has just taken the track from the LP and pressed some up?

Having said that 'Candy' by the Softones was released on a 7", but as the B side to 'Don't Listen To Your Friends' which is not on the Softone & first class LP youv seen. It's 3:18 on the single & 6:08 on the LP.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert