Rarest Soul 12"

Dave Thorley

plus, rare and early Jobelle Never Gonna Let You Go Jan 12" 1976 - had 25 of these from Dave R wish I still had 'em they'd be on e-bay tomorrow

I've got the Jobell on a wierd 12" with Zerba- 'Closer To The Feeling' - Warwick, on the other side; what's that all about? The labels got "copyright: 1976" on both sides. The Jobell is a 'special disco version' @ 4:56, yet the 'disco side' of the JAN 7" is 5:19.

Social source share

• Replies 218
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yep it's 'You Dont Know' UK 12" cant remember the lable think it's LOGO ...........fetchin big boogie bucks at the mo

Baz M

Blimey those boogie blokes are spreading their wings a bit ...Not too boogie styled really .. very nice group sound me thinks :wicked: I'll find mine soon ..

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

"Alfie Davison remix..................twelver"

(My favorite intro ever, Martin Barnfather circa 1983)

Nice on a 12. Don't see it around much at all !

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Alwite Gavin (I hear Steve G struggled home with his rare stuff last night) .., yeah I'd like to hear this one too

Yep all good mate. Steve and I did have a little drink :wicked:

Would try and find the tape but I know I have no hope.

Social source share

Yep it's 'You Dont Know' UK 12" cant remember the lable think it's LOGO ...........fetchin big boogie bucks at the mo

Baz M

I`ve got a China Burton,UK demo on Logo,i think its this,and is worth owt` :wicked:

Social source share

Magnificents On My Way Up DT 12"

BazM

I don't think this ones rare as I picked one up last month off of a chicago dealer on Gemm for about £20. I thought it may have been the 12" version (DT103) of "On My Way Up/You Tuned Me On", but it didn't have "You Turned Me On" on the other side as on the 7" (DT104).

I've never been that lucky, when it comes to finding rare tunes at knock down prices, but then again it is on Paul Phillips web site, so maybe for once I have been lucky.

The J's - When did you stop - Dore. I saw a few on Gemm for about £30. I enquired on here about the difference between the 7" and the 12" (I didn't want a five minute instrumental bit in the middle) as John Manship has the 7" for £100. Once I got some reply posts, they were gone before I could buy. Maybe I should have bought first and asked second.

I was also told many years ago that the real 12" version of Jay Player was rarer (fewer around) than the 7", but less in demand, so cheaper in price, which is a shame because the 7" cuts off the middle break which I think is great.

Cheers,

John

Social source share

Had it on a tape from someone, years back. Been on my wants list since.

Sound Clip Dave ?? Oops hope you are well mate ?

If it's the Frank Snowden you mean, it was on Richard Searling's 'Music From The Soul' Expansion comp that came out in 2005.

Social source share

I don't think this ones rare as I picked one up last month off of a chicago dealer on Gemm for about £20. I thought it may have been the 12" version (DT103) of "On My Way Up/You Tuned Me On", but it didn't have "You Turned Me On" on the other side as on the 7" (DT104).

I've never been that lucky, when it comes to finding rare tunes at knock down prices, but then again it is on Paul Phillips web site, so maybe for once I have been lucky.

The J's - When did you stop - Dore. I saw a few on Gemm for about £30. I enquired on here about the difference between the 7" and the 12" (I didn't want a five minute instrumental bit in the middle) as John Manship has the 7" for £100. Once I got some reply posts, they were gone before I could buy. Maybe I should have bought first and asked second.

I was also told many years ago that the real 12" version of Jay Player was rarer (fewer around) than the 7", but less in demand, so cheaper in price, which is a shame because the 7" cuts off the middle break which I think is great.

Cheers,

John

Must admit John because i'm not actively seraching for some of these 12's as much as I used to I can't really comment on exactly how rare they are although I'd have thought the Magnificents isn't that common. I do know that it doesn't take much these days to go from a few copies on gemm to hens teeth in a fairly short space of time.

Saw a 'proper' copy of the Jay Player Bevnik 12" on e-bay not so long ago and that was the first one i've seen for a long while (it was always hard to find when it was being played AND booted) so I guess as you say, probably right to 'buy first ask second' or at least 'if in doubt, get money out!'........

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Original copies of Best Friend Around, must be rare, before it got pressed I sold one for £400.

i'd love one of these :thumbsup:

problem is, my research tells me that one of the ways to tell an original is that they're all warped!

i'd love one though :wicked:

Social source share

post-3810-1172190285_thumb.jpg

quote name='John Reed' date='Feb 22 2007, 11:19 PM' post='443283']

Social source share

Great topic Dave.

A question we'll probably never get a definitive answer to, but the quest is the thing, I guess.

How many copies of Tony Womack on Positive Sound out of Detroit are nestling in UK collections? Not a great record, but definitely obscure.

Perhaps the more pertinent question might be what's the best 12" single. The answer should be one where the 12" version does full and complete justice to the record in question, where a single or album version just isn't enough. My first nomination goes to Kevin Keys' version of "Distant Lover".

What does everybody else think.

Social source share

Perhaps the more pertinent question might be what's the best 12" single. The answer should be one where the 12" version does full and complete justice to the record in question, where a single or album version just isn't enough. My first nomination goes to Kevin Keys' version of "Distant Lover".

Levert "I'm Still" on Tempre.... being best, not just by inches either... by a bloody mile!

(oh... and Ronnie Lovejoy "I Miss Her" on INCREDIBLE... also the best 12" ever (if that's possible shades.gif )

rolleyes.gif

Sean

Social source share

Great topic Dave.

A question we'll probably never get a definitive answer to, but the quest is the thing, I guess.

How many copies of Tony Womack on Positive Sound out of Detroit are nestling in UK collections? Not a great record, but definitely obscure.

Is turning out to be an interesting tread. Also learning a few things from it which is always good.

I think that there are a fair few 12" from the 80's that, as yet, are not well know and could turn out to be very hard to find. Agree about best, but then this tread would run to pages and pages, as everyone one has their own fav.

But keep them coming peeps thumbsup.gif

Here are a few more, not saying they are ultra rare, but nice tracks and hard to find. We need Pete Haigh on this tread, I'm sure he could trow up a few more

Maye Ervin-What is it-Music International

The Mood-Get the love-World Jam

Spirit Band-Keep your love alive-RSP(Bit boogie)

Rosey Jones-Have love will travel-Wickett(Interesting re-mix)

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Here's a few

Mark IV Signs of a Dying Love OTB 12" and obviously 'If you cant tell me anything' by them

Eddie Owen Shake Off That Dream Solid Gold 12"

Sister Sledge As Atlantic Promo Only 12"

Magnificents On My Way Up DT 12"

Chestnut Brother Sweet Little Rita Street Level 12"

Velvet Hammer I Cant Belive Chila 12"

plus, rare and early Jobelle Never Gonna Let You Go Jan 12" 1976 - had 25 of these from Dave R wish I still had 'em they'd be on e-bay tomorrow

BazM

I picked one of these up on ebay for about $80 about 2/3 years ago. Mine had a Green label, while others said there's was Yellow (think 7" is too?).

Got stolen in a box of 12's last year after I left them at Northern Light over night ranting_1.gif

The sound quality is a lot better than the 7, although the track does meander towards the end.

Jamie

Social source share

Guest mrallsorts

Off to find it now,they can have it.................for £120 thumbsup.gif

Hi Kenny...long time no see....

Just see the china burton 12 go for £280!

any chance of a clip to see what all the fuss is about thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

George Benson-The world is a ghetto/Miroslav Vitous New York City- Warner Brothers DJ special 12" is hard

also - in the case of UK Jazz-Funk releases - there were several demo only 12"s :

Idris Muhammed - "Could Heaven Ever Be Like This" (UK KUDU)

Alton McClean & Destiny "It Must Be Love" (UK POLYDOR)

John Davis & Monster Orchestra - "Up Jumped The Devil" (UK POLYDOR)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Was Ivan Neville's "Dance Your Blues Away" on COOKIE issued on a 12"? Never seen one myself, but have been told that it does exist.

How about Vance And Suzzanne on VANTON? Not impossible, but certainly not an easy 12" to track down.

And that Arnie Love 12" on TAP with "We Had Enough" plus two other tunes on it is extremely hard to find. Yes, Lotusland has turned up a bunch of copies but when those are gone that will still remain a very rare record.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Just for the sake of curiosity, I thought I'd put the BFA on Lonnie into popsike.

Came up with six copies.

5 of them went for £100 - £150 in the last 3 years with 'Dance' and 'Disco' in the title. The only one with 'Modern Soul' in the title went for £300.

Weird eh? biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've got the Jobell on a wierd 12" with Zerba- 'Closer To The Feeling' - Warwick, on the other side; what's that all about? The labels got "copyright: 1976" on both sides. The Jobell is a 'special disco version' @ 4:56, yet the 'disco side' of the JAN 7" is 5:19.

Kev Roberts brought a few Jobell Orch 12" over from New York in 1976. I got one from him at Blackpool Mecca. (As a Mecca nut you just GOTTA have it on 12" aint'cha?) - plus the 7" is styrene of course...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

A couple more

Ronnie Loveman Stokes-Touch you again-Philly City

James Bynum-I don't want to lose you-Philly Town(Not that good though)

And about time this hit the wheels of steel again

Jesse Mitchell-It could of been different

It could have been different - jesse mitchell - jdm

15035 refosoul

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

A couple more

Ronnie Loveman Stokes-Touch you again-Philly City

James Bynum-I don't want to lose you-Philly Town(Not that good though)

And about time this hit the wheels of steel again

Jesse Mitchell-It could of been different

It could have been different - jesse mitchell - jdm

15035 refosoul

Must be more than a few Ronnie Stokes out there - I've had three of them at one stage.

Anyone know anything about the Stevo - Pay The Price on G-K? Looks like the local Atlanta release before it came out on TK. Tommy Stewart production, nice two-sider thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ive been meaning to unpack my old 12's for quite a while now , ( a request from Paul Phillips ,and just out of interest really) . However I cant think of too many that would fit todays rare soul scene.. the slightest crash of a drum machine has people running today and is probably the reason why tracks like Crystal and Ronnie Barnes do not get played . ph34r.gif

Social source share

Hi Kenny...long time no see....

Just see the china burton 12 go for £280!

any chance of a clip to see what all the fuss is about thumbsup.gif

When i find it i will bob it up Malc,100% sure i have it thumbsup.gif even a scan.And a price rise :lol:

Social source share

Must be more than a few Ronnie Stokes out there - I've had three of them at one stage.

Anyone know anything about the Stevo - Pay The Price on G-K? Looks like the local Atlanta release before it came out on TK. Tommy Stewart production, nice two-sider thumbsup.gif

I agree, a few have turned up, I've had 2 and Neil Rushton had a whole bunch. But if I remember right, when I spoke to James Bynum at the time of release, he said they only pressed 500 and most were being sold direct to the UK, not wholesale.

Social source share

Baz M

Do you mean "you dont care",hope so i have found it just doing a file right now and picture.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert