Rarest Soul 12"

Dave Thorley

• Replies 218
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

One of the major Detroit collectors, in Detroit, recently paid $400 for one. Although it was said that in the mid 80's a few turned up in Manchester.

Actually Dave, I think I did get it from Manchester, possibly Rod's stall and yes it must have been a lot longer than 7 years ago. Bloody hell where's the time gone?

Jordi

Social source share

I've got a nice one by Louise Murray called "Did you ever notice me" on Land Of Hits. It's got a Peter Brown connection. It's a really good crossover, almost London rare groove feel with lovely vocals. Trouble is there is a nasty electric guitar solo half way through which does spoil the thing. It's got to be rare.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest lotusland

12" of Curtis-How can I tell her, not easy to find

Lotusland had small quantity a few years ago. King Tutt would be much rarer than this i would think. And people want it really bas as well.. You see 12"s (especially boogie) all the time that there is literally NO TRACE of anywhere online, does this mean its the only copy? does it mean that anyone cares? usually not, the Tutt is VERY sought after though, i know that you'd get at least $1000 for that.

a/

Social source share

Lotusland had small quantity a few years ago. King Tutt would be much rarer than this i would think. And people want it really bas as well.. You see 12"s (especially boogie) all the time that there is literally NO TRACE of anywhere online, does this mean its the only copy? does it mean that anyone cares? usually not, the Tutt is VERY sought after though, i know that you'd get at least $1000 for that.

a/

There is some killer 12" only stuff that now days would be just right, thats why I'm asking, I'm interested in stuff I don't know.

Original copies of Best Friend Around, must be rare, before it got pressed I sold one for £400.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

a/

I know Paul Philips has a King Tutt 12" don't know how many more are kicking about though.

Social source share

Well Dave if you mean by "turned up" that we found it in the USA [shop in Detroit actually along with some other nice "2-step" 7" indies], thought it was good, and bought at least 25-50 copies for the London market. Sold them at around £5-8 each at the time.

Of course the Northern modern scene didn't seem interested as they were more interested in pap like Split Decision Band and Record Player. Those 100mph 80's stompers. We didn't bother buying any more and left loads.

Jordi, probably your bro recommended it.

ROD

Social source share

Well Dave if you mean by "turned up" that we found it in the USA [shop in Detroit actually along with some other nice "2-step" 7" indies], thought it was good, and bought at least 25-50 copies for the London market. Sold them at around £5-8 each at the time.

Of course the Northern modern scene didn't seem interested as they were more interested in pap like Split Decision Band and Record Player. Those 100mph 80's stompers. We didn't bother buying any more and left loads.

ROD

Always, ahead of the game Rod :thumbsup: . Never turns up now in Detroit, that could of been just about all the stock in the shop, which shop :yes:

Social source share

I know Paul Philips has a King Tutt 12" don't know how many more are kicking about though.

Know of about 6 copies of King Tutt on 12".

Also remember Paul Philips telling me about a mate of his having a 12" demo.

Only thing is he said it was that badly warped it was unplayable.

Can't ever remember seeing a 7" King Tutt demo come to think of it.

Social source share

I honestly can't remember although it was something like E. 8 Mile and maybe the owner was called Taylor. He said he had something to do with Sequins on Detroit Sound and took me and Alex round to meet some other guy who was also involved with the 45, and of course he was outta town and we could never hook up blah blah.

So we ended up with hundreds of bloody 70's albums and 7"s including that "Crack Stepping" album. In fact that might not have been known until we got it around '93-'95. Not one decent 45 from 60's. Even introduced us to a longtime Motown rep who we never heard from again.

Boston Heights? Boxes of them!!

ROD

Social source share

...and lets not be hearing the Bobby Cutchins nonsence, leave it standing by 5" and 4 mins

Hello Dave,

If you really believe Jesse Henderson's version is superior I think you're more focused on rarity than musical content. And if the length makes it better, we have master tapes of an unissued Bobby Cutchins version of "I Did It Again (And Again And Again)" which is over TWO HOURS LONG.

DJs would love it because they'd have time to go for a drink, a meal, a haircut and do some shopping before they have to cue the next record up.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Still hard on an original and lets not be hearing the Bobby Cutchins nonsence, leave it standing by 5" and 4 mins

post-3008-1172172141_thumb.jpg

I did it again - jesse henderson - land of hits

15015 refosoul

You're avin a larf, aincha?

What's with the Disco Poo-Poo s?

Poor Jesse - hope he wasn't singing for his supper - Terrible.

Trickest of the Trickiest Disco.

Social source share

Hello Dave,

If you really believe Jesse Henderson's version is superior I think you're more focused on rarity than musical content. And if the length makes it better, we have master tapes of an unissued Bobby Cutchins version of "I Did It Again (And Again And Again)" which is over TWO HOURS LONG.

DJs would love it because they'd have time to go for a drink, a meal, a haircut and do some shopping before they have to cue the next record up.

Paul Mooney

:yes: pmsl .

Social source share

Hello Dave,

Paul Mooney

No nothing to do with rarity, time and lenght was said in jest. I think it is a much fuller and rounded production, and his vocals more pleading. The Jesse Henderson version has always left a lump in my throat, Bobby Cutchins, I think is just nice. But it's all down to the ear of the beholder. As for other peoples opion, everyone is entitled to their own, both versions were played at Stafford and the Jesse Henderson was always more popular.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Still hard on an original and lets not be hearing the Bobby Cutchins nonsence, leave it standing by 5" and 4 mins

post-3008-1172172141_thumb.jpg

I did it again - jesse henderson - land of hits

15015 refosoul

Always preferred this version & eventually snagged one last year from ebay, like both but JH is by far the superior version........the rest of ya are deaf :thumbsup: .

Russ

Social source share

Always preferred this version & eventually snagged one last year from ebay, like both but JH is by far the superior version........the rest of ya are deaf :wicked: .

Russ

Here we go again..........this keeps coming up.

I prefer Jesse Henderson - by miles. Got both L of H reissue (shown above) and Lasso (which is also boot??) but then we've had that thread before methinks.

Back to Dave's thread though, original is rare!

John.

Social source share

Following along from the other tread about earliest 12", what do we all think is the hardest one to find. This might throw up a few we don't know. Scans and sound clips if anyone has them would be good too.

Dave,

Alfie Davidson on a 12?

George Benson - When Love Comes Calling on a 12?

The J's - When did you stop? (probably not , though I can't remember seeing one for ages)

Ok, a rubbish effort i know but at least I tried :wicked: . Back to my pudding...............

Steve

Social source share

Here we go again..........this keeps coming up.

I prefer Jesse Henderson - by miles. Got both L of H reissue (shown above) and Lasso (which is also boot??) but then we've had that thread before methinks.

Back to Dave's thread though, original is rare!

John.

That scan is from my copy I got back in 81 and played at Stafford, the boot is a looky likey and looks the same but is made of much thicker wax. The Lasso one is a legit remixed re-issue, but in the mix they cut off some of the original long intro

Social source share

king tutt definitely very rare...maybe 5/6 copies a few very warped but i,m not counting them..mine never played and my ex girlfriend!! kindly left it in the sun to get further warped...originally came from a store in new york along with 50 copies of flamenking.....priced 50c each...

i would say the really super rare 12's are a few of the budweisers...never released only promos...

SIR PRIZE

HOT LINERS

AFTER 5

how about the FRANK DELL 12' anyone know of that?????

Social source share

king tutt definitely very rare...maybe 5/6 copies a few very warped but i,m not counting them..mine never played and my ex girlfriend!! kindly left it in the sun to get further warped...originally came from a store in new york along with 50 copies of flamenking.....priced 50c each...

i would say the really super rare 12's are a few of the budweisers...never released only promos...

SIR PRIZE

HOT LINERS

AFTER 5

how about the FRANK DELL 12' anyone know of that?????

Social source share

Dave,

Alfie Davidson on a 12?

George Benson - When Love Comes Calling on a 12?

The J's - When did you stop? (probably not , though I can't remember seeing one for ages)

Ok, a rubbish effort i know but at least I tried :wicked: . Back to my pudding...............

Steve

George Benson-The world is a ghetto/Miroslav Vitous New York City- Warner Brothers DJ special 12" is hard

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

That scan is from my copy I got back in 81 and played at Stafford, the boot is a looky likey and looks the same but is made of much thicker wax. The Lasso one is a legit remixed re-issue, but in the mix they cut off some of the original long intro

Any idea of Value now ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

What about Al Mason- Good Loving on Al & The Kid or whatever it's called?

Or are people paying more just to have it on a reissue 7" (Final Vinyl)?

BJORN. THE AL & THE KID 12" IS A REISSUE DONE BY AL MASON HIMSELF AFTER THE FYNAL VINYL ORIGINAL. HIS KIDS WERE SHORT OF FRISBEE`S TO PLAY WITH............. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Hi Rod

ROD

Don't know whether I did or not, but i definitely got mine from you along with SirPrize on Bud and the fantastic, Frank (Psychedelic Frankie) Snowden-with you , also on bud, which has to be rare .

Frank Snowden has to be SHITE rare, i would say as well.

Never had a crack at one for sale :wicked:

Social source share

All,

how about

Sam Butler - "I can't get over (loving you)" - SRI on a 12".

I only know of a couple of copies - my one was the copy that Johnny Manship auctioned last year (I thought it was a bit greedy keeping a 7" and a 12").

How many copies of this are there?

Paul Capon

One residing at Maleedy towers!

ATB

BazM

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Got quite a few Buds , but never seen that one :wicked:

Had it on a tape from someone, years back. Been on my wants list since.

Sound Clip Dave ?? Oops hope you are well mate ?

Social source share

Here's a few

Mark IV Signs of a Dying Love OTB 12" and obviously 'If you cant tell me anything' by them

Eddie Owen Shake Off That Dream Solid Gold 12"

Sister Sledge As Atlantic Promo Only 12"

Magnificents On My Way Up DT 12"

Chestnut Brother Sweet Little Rita Street Level 12"

Velvet Hammer I Cant Belive Chila 12"

plus, rare and early Jobelle Never Gonna Let You Go Jan 12" 1976 - had 25 of these from Dave R wish I still had 'em they'd be on e-bay tomorrow

BazM

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert