Marton/Kay=O Family of Labels

Robbk

This thread was spawned off the "Miss Motown" thread, because this is more about George Clinton related New York Jobete Music Office-generated productions, and their issuance on non-Motown labels than about Raynoma Gordy and her work for that office.  I  am primarily interested in Marton and its apparent sister label, Kay=O Records, because every song on their only 3 records I've seen, have been published by Jobete Music Co.  I have done some research, and found out that the owner of New York's Marton Records was named Martin (I have forgotten his first name) but had it at one time.  Also, he was the owner of Apex Music Publishing Co. and Martin Music , and Apex productions.  On both the Marton records, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete Music shared publishing rights with Martin's Apex Music, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete shared with both Apex and Martin Music.  So, it is very clear that both labels were at least Co-owned, if not solely owned by Martin. 

RoyHandy3.jpg.8f9ad336b9d7662fbf1f04a0270e4019.jpg

TamalaLewis1.png.e55d21c98e002bb738071352815cf0da.png

BobbyMoore1.jpg.1ed0d19a7d9cde7c87ba37d330d8ae10.jpg

It's also clear that The Tamala Lewis record's sides were produced by George Clinton and his Parlor Productions (through Jobete Music).  The Roy Handy on Marton was also produced by Clinton, and his Parla Productions through Jobete Music's office.  The Bobby Moore record lists D.W. productions, who produced Bobby's D.W. Records as lead singer of The Fourmost/s. This was New York Bobby Moore (former Little Bobby Moore ("Do The Ginger Snap" on King Records), as well as "Pinky" on Seg-Way Records, and "It Was a Lie" with The Fourmost on D.W./Red Bird, rather than Atlanta's Bobby Moore (who sang with The Rhythm Aces).  

That is all I know about these 2 labels, and I'd like to know more about them including Martin's first name, his place in the business, and whether or not he was just a financier, or had more to do with the day-to-day operations, what recording studio, arranger, and musicians they used, and if they had any connection to D.W. Records (other than recording Bobby Moore), and whether or not a Jobete Music producer produced the recording used for Jobete's proof of ownership recording and Martin just used that, or D.W.'s Production crew recorded the final mix version.

Can anyone here add more information?

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So far, I have found out that Joe Martin owned both labels, but George Clinton was only involved in Marton Records ("Mar" for Martin, and "Ton" for Clinton), as a co-owner.  But, Kay=O was either owned solely by Martin, or co-owned by Martin and the owner of DW Records.

I'd also like to find out the story of why 3 writing crews for NY Jobete Music, George Clinton's, George Kerr and Sidney Barnes', and Gene Redd Jr.'s, ended up working with Ed Wingate's facilities, having offices in his buildings, and have their records either issued on Wingate's labels (Clinton's on Golden World and Ric Tic), or created new Detroit-based labels to release their Detroit produced recordings (George Kerr's Maltese and Gene Redd's Stephanye), and have them distributed by Wingate's labels/distributors.

So, if anyone can answer the questions, I would appreciate that, as well.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

12 hours ago, Robbk said:

This thread was spawned off the "Miss Motown" thread, because this is more about George Clinton relate New York Jobete Music Office-generated productions, and their issuance on non-Motown labels than about Raynoma Gordy and her work for that office.  I  am primarily interested in Marton and its apparent sister label, Kay=O Records, because every song on their only 3 records I've seen, have been published by Jobete Music Co.  I have done some research, and found out that the owner of New York's Marton Records was named Martin (I have forgotten his first name) but had it at one time.  Also, he was the owner of Apex Music Publishing Co. and Martin Music , and Apex productions.  On both the Marton records, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete Music shared publishing rights with Martin's Apex Music, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete shared with both Apex and Martin Music.  So, it is very clear that both labels were at least Co-owned, if not solely owned by Martin. 

It's also clear that The Tamala Lewis record's sides were produced by George Clinton and his Parlor Productions (through Jobete Music).  The Roy Handy on Marton was also produced by Clinton, and his Parla Productions through Jobete Music's office.  The Bobby Moore record lists D.W. productions, who produced Bobby's D.W. Records as lead singer of The Fourmost/s. This was New York Bobby Moore (former Little Bobby Moore ("Do The Ginger Snap" on King Records), as well as "Pinky" on Seg-Way Records, and "It Was a Lie" with The Fourmost on D.W./Red Bird, rather than Atlanta's Bobby Moore (who sang with The Rhythm Aces).  

That is all I know about these 2 labels, and I'd like to know more about them including Martin's first name, his place in the business, and whether or not he was just a financier, or had more to do with the day-to-day operations, what recording studio, arranger, and musicians they used, and if they had any connection to D.W. Records (other than recording Bobby Moore), and whether or not a Jobete Music producer produced the recording used for Jobete's proof of ownership recording and Martin just used that, or D.W.'s Production crew recorded the final mix version.

Can anyone here add more information?

I guess you might tell me you already know this, but hope this helps....some stuff when i was 'tracking Relic'

Joe Martin owned Relic Rack music shop aka Relic Records ( sometimes 116) 136 Main St, Hackensack, N.J. You may also see this as Relic Rack/Relic Distie. The record shop was owned/run by various people...i think 1968 -2004 it was George Lavatelli, but others were involved in  the early 60's/70's e.g. Chuck Fitzgerald, mgr.

BTW- you can find Apex-Martin ads on Billboard,351 Washington St, Newark, NJ.

Edited by Kenb
an addition
Social source share

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

I guess you might tell me you already know this, but hope this helps....some stuff when i was 'tracking Relic'

Joe Martin owned Relic Rack music shop aka Relic Records ( sometimes 116) 136 Main St, Hackensack, N.J. You may also see this as Relic Rack/Relic Distie. The record shop was owned/run by various people...i think 1968 -2004 it was George Lavatelli, but others were involved in  the early 60's/70's e.g. Chuck Fitzgerald, mgr.

BTW- you can find Apex-Martin ads on Billboard,351 Washington St, Newark, NJ.

Thanks Ken,

I didn't know that Joe Martin had owned Relic Rack Music Shop and Relic Records.  I did know that Lavatelli had owned it at one time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert