Announcement from Mixcloud

Mal C

Got this from mixcloud yesterday, if you have an account, and put mixes up like me, this might effect you.

-----

Hello Mal.C,

Nico here, CEO and co-founder of Mixcloud. Today we’re announcing upcoming changes to Mixcloud:

From December 1st we’re introducing a maximum allowance of 10 published shows for creators on the basic tier. 

During the month of November before we make these changes, we are offering a huge 70% discount on the price of Pro if you sign up here.

Why is this happening?

We believe DJs and producers should be rewarded for the skill and creativity that goes into their work. That's why for over 10 years we’ve subsidized hosting costs and built tools that enable creators to grow and earn money.

We also believe artists should be paid when their music is played. That's why every show uploaded to Mixcloud is scanned by our content ID system. This enables us to identify the tunes being played and pay royalties to the artists who made them.

Unlike other platforms, we’ve spent years securing comprehensive licensing deals with the major and independent labels to ensure this money is paid to the right artists. We have shouldered these costs in order to create a fair music ecosystem.

Until now we’ve kept our basic tier uncapped. However, as we’ve grown our royalty and hosting costs have risen and we are not profitable. To continue running and improving Mixcloud we need to become more sustainable as a business, and Pro memberships help us cover our costs.

How will you be affected?

On 1st December all of your shows will remain published and available to listeners.

But, if you want to make space for a new show, you will need to manually move shows into drafts until you are within the allowance or upgrade to Pro for unlimited published shows.

To help with the transition, throughout November we’re offering our biggest discount on Pro yet: 70% off a Pro subscription for 3 months. Redeem the offer before December 1st.

Pro Benefits

Publish unlimited shows and tracks

Live stream without takedowns

Share music in HQ audio

Grow with engagement stats

Earn money with channel subscriptions or tipping

Stay on track with scheduled uploads

Message your followers with posts

Learn more about your options and prepare for the changes here.

We want to thank you, our community, for the part you’ve played in this journey so far and hope you will continue to join us in this mission to create a fairer music ecosystem for everybody. 

Nico Perez,
Mixcloud CEO and co-founder

Social source share

That's a pain, but it was going to happen one day. Doesn't really affect me. I've only uploaded a meagre 25 mixes in 10 years and it wouldn't be a loss to anyone - myself included - if that number was whittled down to 10.

By the same token though, many years ago photo sharing site Flickr introduced restrictions for free user accounts. When that happened, hundreds if not 1000s of users, myself included, left to go elsewhere. Move forward some years and Flickr not only lifts those restrictions, but also increases the limits to way above what was offered in the first place. Unsurprisingly, I went back to Flickr.

Perhaps - if there's an exodus of users, or if there's very little uptake of the subscription model - Mixcloud will rethink its approach to free users. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

By the same token though, many years ago photo sharing site Flickr introduced restrictions for free user accounts. When that happened, hundreds if not 1000s of users, myself included, left to go elsewhere. Move forward some years and Flickr not only lifts those restrictions, but also increases the limits to way above what was offered in the first place. Unsurprisingly, I went back to Flickr.

Perhaps - if there's an exodus of users, or if there's very little uptake of the subscription model - Mixcloud will rethink its approach to free users. 

Photobucket did similar , basically cutting off any sharing of photos stored without warning and holding you to hostage unless you started paying them.

I'd happily pay something but certainly not £9.00 a month in these uncertain times.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!