John Anderson - Soul Bowl

Would it be right say one of the most influential figures in black music in the Sixties and Seventies?

If you think about his discoveries and the ripple effect, he'd be hard to beat.

I don't think his  contribution has been fully recognised by the mainstream culture.

Edited by Fiftyboiledeggs
Social source share

His contribution to finding records is unparalleled, without doubt.  A very good bloke and I have a huge respect for what he did. But he didn't actually make any music and so I would be extremely wary of saying that he was "one of the most influential figures in black music in the Sixties and Seventies".

The singers, musicians, producers, writers etc. who actually were involved with making the records deserve that accolade. Without them there would have been no John Anderson. Indeed, without them there would be none of us. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I'm not too sure about that. Your construct that in any creative field you cannot exert influence-" but he didn't actually make any music " does not stand up to scrutiny.

Here's a few influencers for starters on black music who didn't make any music:

Jim Stewart, Estelle Axton, Alan Freed.

You could go through all the arts, painting, literature, music  and find many influential figures who either created a scene or propelled it, into a sub culture or mainstream, without making the product.

Anderson unearthed and rescued many black artsits from obscurity. His tenacity also tailored the music that found it's way on to the dancefloor and  shaped listening tastes throughout the land. So in my mind he was a major influence in black music.

Social source share

I specifically used the word "producer" in my reply. Clearly, as a producer, writer and record company founder, Jim Stewart's influence on "black music" was vastly greater than John Anderson's. And I don't doubt that John would agree. 

John's ability to find records was second to none. And his importance to record collectors and D.J.s in this country was enormous, too.. He accomplishments are beyond doubt.

But I still disagree that he was one of the most influential figures in black music in the sixties and seventies.

None of the artists we love would have had the faintest idea who he was when they were cutting records in the sixties and seventies. Later on, when he was involved with Grapevine , it was a different story when he did indeed get involved with actively helping with releases.

So, in short, huge respect to him. But he had NO influence on what singers were actually cutting in the decades you mention. Nor did he help get them the recognition that Alan Freed did.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Alan Freed was no producer but he was one of  the most  influential in R and B.

You do not need any  influence on what the artist is making, you are missing the point.

Anderson not only had huge impact on Northern but on the Rare Groove scene in Lonon.All these ripple effects from him, led to people like Snowboy, Acid Jazz and  countless others who ventured to him for records. They in turn created a scene. 

Putting, John Anderson aside, you are totally wrong if you think an influencer has to be invovled in the making of a product, to have an  influence in that field.

Keb Darge massively influenced  hip -hop is a good example.

Edited by Fiftyboiledeggs
Social source share

2 hours ago, Fiftyboiledeggs said:

Would it be right say one of the most influential figures in black music in the Sixties and Seventies?

I don't think his  contribution has been fully recognised by the mainstream culture.

He was a wholesaler and retailer - shipping hundreds of thousands of records from the USA to the UK. What didn't sell, he bundled into affordable 'soul packs'. Sure, he tipped off people about rarities or potentially great unknowns at that time, but bear in mind he was doing this for the whole of the 'soul' community, not just the 'Northern Soul' aspect of it. What DJs, collectors and dealers did with the stuff they got from him was entirely down to themselves. He did what he did without ego. So many threads on here - and elsewhere - have commented on how vinyl rarities of recent years came out of his cheap stock - "Wow, I got this in a Soul Bowl soul pack for 20p back in blah, blah, blah..."

That's entirely down to musical tastes, not JA's foresight - otherwise he wouldn't have lumped them into soul packs in the first place.

Businessman first - soul music fan second.

Regardless - an absolute legend for his commitment to bringing that music to the UK (Seems no one is aware he often used to go out on Stateside trips with an equally respected record dealer from Belgium. Guess who'd get the 'popcorn' - the stuff that later became popular as the 100 Club/Stafford beat ballads).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Fiftyboiledeggs said:

No, not really.

John sought out, stockpiled, shipped, distributed and sold 60’s and 70’s records for commercial reasons. Along the way, his discoveries boosted the collections of influential DJ’s who shaped the UK soul scene.

Essentially, John salvaged 45’s ignored by USA mainstream culture and directed them towards a sub-culture that appreciated them. Mainstream culture is an irrelevancy - it never understood what actually happened and still misrepresents this today.

Serious record collectors today are still in awe of John’s varied contributions and that’s good enough for those who knew him - John was very grounded and modest so wasn’t too bothered about mainstream culture.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Alan Freed was no producer but he was one of  the most  influential in R and B.

You do not need any  influence on what the artist is making, you are missing the point.

Anderson not only had huge impact on Northern but on the Rare Groove scene in Lonon.All these ripple effects from him, led to people like Snowboy, Acid Jazz and  countless others who ventured to him for records. They in turn created a scene. 

Putting, John Anderson aside, you are totally wrong if you think an influencer has to be invovled in the making of a product, to have an  influence in that field.

You are right. My response was clumsy in this regard. Of course DJ's, promoters, writers etc. can have a huge impact in music. But I would still argue that, using the criteria of "influencers", people like, say, John Richbourg, Frankie Crocker, even Tony Blackburn,  were significantly more 'influential' in terms of popularising black music, making hits etc, than the great John A.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!