"you Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies"

Sebastian

Just spent the afternoon in a record store basement and found quite a lot of nice 45s and LPs (mostly swedish freakbeat/garage/mod type stuff) and amongst the stack of records I brought home was an obscure 4-track gold flexi disc by swedish band Ola & The Janglers. It features a storming version of "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies" that I thought some of you might like to hear. I've known about it for ages, but it's proven quite hard to track down (especially in playable condition considering that it's a flimsy flexi disc and almost 40 years old!). This is the Dana Valery/Simon & Garfunkel classic given the same kind of 60s freakbeat treatment as The Purple Hearts did on their take of Jimmy Fraser's "Of Hopes And Dreams And Tombstones". I'm not saying that this is "soulful" or should be played in a northern soul setting, probably best to point that out... rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:

post-1392-1172079011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies - ola & the janglers - williams flexi

14980 refosoul

That is Eurovision-tastic, Sebastian, great stuff!

Simon biggrin.gif

Social source share

That is Eurovision-tastic, Sebastian, great stuff!

Simon :rolleyes:

Haha! rolleyes.gif

And here they are:

post-1392-1172080754_thumb.jpg post-1392-1172080762_thumb.jpg

For all you swedes, that's "Clabbe" (yowza! yowza!) at the top right in the second picture... Ola Haakansson who was in this group formed the band Secret Service in the late 70s and scored a european/south american hit with "Oh Suzie"... and then in the 90s he started the independent record label which released The Cardigans hit records ("Lovefool" etc.). The lot of them turned out to be music biz people...

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest mel brat

cool version, nice one. just a brilliant song I think. Was the '5 and a penny' version tailor made for the northern soul market?

No, I don't think so. Someone should have been hung for playing it though...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just spent the afternoon in a record store basement and found quite a lot of nice 45s and LPs (mostly swedish freakbeat/garage/mod type stuff) and amongst the stack of records I brought home was an obscure 4-track gold flexi disc by swedish band Ola & The Janglers. It features a storming version of "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies" that I thought some of you might like to hear. I've known about it for ages, but it's proven quite hard to track down (especially in playable condition considering that it's a flimsy flexi disc and almost 40 years old!). This is the Dana Valery/Simon & Garfunkel classic given the same kind of 60s freakbeat treatment as The Purple Hearts did on their take of Jimmy Fraser's "Of Hopes And Dreams And Tombstones". I'm not saying that this is "soulful" or should be played in a northern soul setting, probably best to point that out... :thumbsup::)

post-1392-1172079011_thumb.jpg

Cool name anyhow... :unsure:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies - ola & the janglers - williams flexi

14980 refosoul

Thanks for posting that Sebastian. Interesting version, not sure I'd pay to own it, but nice to hear. :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Make me an offer (cash or trades), but as I wrote, it's a HARD record to find.

I dont know where to start,flexi-disc etc;i know purple hearts should be about £50 and is northern soul,but this wouldnt be in the same box and you might laugh at me.......... :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I dont know where to start,flexi-disc etc;i know purple hearts should be about £50 and is northern soul,but this wouldnt be in the same box and you might laugh at me.......... :thumbsup:

Not that it really matters, but the Purple Hearts 45 is easily £100+ (in-demand by garage rock / freakbeat collectors as well). I wouldn't mind keeping the Ola & The Janglers in my collection, but as I said, if you want to have it make me an offer in cash or trades and I'll think about it. :unsure:

Social source share

My mate paid £40 on the internet for purple hearts,i`ll hold out for the same.

I would say £20 for YDKWYIL,and that would be absolute max!!but £15 i would be well happy :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

My mate paid £40 on the internet for purple hearts,i`ll hold out for the same.

I would say £20 for YDKWYIL,and that would be absolute max!!but £15 i would be well happy :unsure:

Ok, fair enough. Think I'll keep the Ola & The Janglers and put it on eBay at a later date. Thanks for the offer though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 6 years later...

The Australian only release of "You Don't Where Your Interest Lies" by Fia Karin on the Spin label remains the best "northern" style version of the tune (IMHO) and is very rare too , Aussie collectors will confirm that ...

Anyone care to post a clip of the Fia Karin version ? ...

Here you go;

Edited by mike
read pinned post ref mp3s
Social source share

NECROPOST    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry, I asked the question today on a new thread and then found it had already been asked on this thread, so thought I would be througher !! lol

ps> Whats a Necropost ??? lol

Edited by NSG
Social source share

cool version, nice one. just a brilliant song I think. Was the '5 and a penny' version tailor made for the northern soul market?

No, it was just a standard release on Polydor in the UK in 1968 years before it was played at Wigan.

Pics of Five and A Penny, Fia Karin below

post-2354-0-78135200-1363249496_thumb.pn

post-2354-0-40728900-1363249644_thumb.pn

post-2354-0-08361700-1363249652_thumb.pn

Edited by jim g
Social source share

I had a bit of contact with the singer from Five & A Penny a few years back.  She probably read a review I did of their record and wanted to ask me why I thought it was "utter shite"  :lol:  I think she said they were still performing etc etc...can't remember now

Social source share

Sorry, I asked the question today on a new thread and then found it had already been asked on this thread, so thought I would be througher !! lol

ps> Whats a Necropost ??? lol

can you read the pinned post (link below) about mp3s uploads

thanks

Social source share

Guest giant

I had a copy of " You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies " by Bradford & Bingley ....... :rolleyes:

Malc Burton

you are funny man  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert