The Reno Club Manchester

An interesting listen - thanks for sharing. I have to say I'd not heard of the Reno Club before, which is a real shame considering how much attention a certain other club in Manchester has had over the decades. Clearly the Reno should be much more widely known, especially if visited by the likes of Ali and Bob Marley. I did kind of raise my eyebrows at the comments about city's widespread "race wars" and "gang violence". I hadn't realised Manchester was the UK's Detroit! 

Anyway, a bit thin on the ground in terms of actual detail, and the story seems to jump from the early 60s to the 70s and beyond in the mere blink of a paragraph, but well worth nine minutes of your time.

Again - thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1
Social source share

aftermath of what happened,i called in here once after a city v liverpool game with 3 other friends roughly about 78 to be greeted by a blanket of white teeth,we thought we'd made a mistake but greeted and welcomed it stunk of weed but the music was excellent we said we would call again but unfortunately city we relegated and the ground rebuilt elsewhere and the Reno demolished so a bit sad really ,music i sort of remember was a mix of motown ,soul and some funk thrown in bya  dj whom i didn't know his name ,the nile was upstairs which was a different kettle of fish,thanks for posting Wally  

Edited by Steviehay
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Went once a few of us only place open after we had had a football match, lived and grew up in old Trafford so knew of the Reno and the Nile clubs. But they were not the type of clubs I was interested in, being the 70,s to early 80’s it was Blackpool and Wigan and cleethorpes and all clubs in between, being from Manchester we had a plethora of soul nights.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!