Spoken Intro ? R.Dean,

John Hart
Go to solution Solved by Agentsmith,

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

If you have a spare forty minutes or so, listen again to these four spoken intros/outros:

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes I Miss You.  Rapped outro begins at 3.35, stay with it to the very end five or so minutes later.

Tyrone Davis I Had It All The Time

Lenny Williams Where Did Our Love Go

The story continues with Lenny Williams Somebody Else

Social source share

On 04/10/2022 at 18:41, El Corol said:

An obvious one, but come on how good does this still sound.

Always have looked at this fine work as a sort of  'Lord whats happening' part 2

though guess could argue more a case of being sung slowly than a spoken intro

Edited by Mike
Social source share

A few Motown related "Talkies"to check out, :Jimmy Ruffin  "Boy From Mississipi", 

Bobby Womack "Home Is where The  Heart Is " and, "Dayligh."

Chuck Jackson  " Honey Come Back "{ Defines the emotion of Spoken Intro                                                                                Listen To Glen Campbells, cover  to prove the point !}

As the original Poster ,some great choices,  ironically nobody answered my actual primary Question, Why was R Dean  Taylors spoken intro, wiped on  the Canadian "Let,s Go Somewhere "reissue???. LOL John

Social source share

On 13/10/2022 at 13:19, John Hart said:

A few Motown related "Talkies"to check out, :Jimmy Ruffin  "Boy From Mississipi", 

Bobby Womack "Home Is where The  Heart Is " and, "Dayligh."

Chuck Jackson  " Honey Come Back "{ Defines the emotion of Spoken Intro                                                                                Listen To Glen Campbells, cover  to prove the point !}

As the original Poster ,some great choices,  ironically nobody answered my actual primary Question, Why was R Dean  Taylors spoken intro, wiped on  the Canadian "Let,s Go Somewhere "reissue???. LOL John

I guess it was an error , looking at discogs and checking the times printed on labels ,

Originally 2.51 mins. back in 1965 .

Reissued in US, Canada , UK all 2.51 mins. in 73/74

Australia 2.54 mins /74

South Africa 2.49 mins /74

Germany 2.48 mins  /74 

None of the 6 x I think, UK reissues have a time printed on them only the promo's at 2.51 

I've never seen or heard a copy from either Australia ,South Africa or Germany anybody ? To prove one way or the other a one off .

Good luck 

Social source share

• Solution

Has anyone taken the time to think about and reply to the original question?

Maybe, with the spoken intro, originally recorded in the 60's it ( Lets Go Somewhere ) was seen as a protest song.. against Nam or just the way the world was at the time?

By 74, perhaps Motown in Canada didnt see it as relevant, hence the edit.

The record sold nothing on its release in 65, neither did " Ghost " recorded nearly 2 years later...only the fact that it caught on here, in northern circles, lifted it from relative obscurity to a national best seller for Motown in 74. It was certainly a wise idea to team up Taylor's two best offerings on one double header.

im not suggesting any favourite intro's because enough have been already, and its taken the rmphasis away from what was originally asked.

Any thoughts?, anyone wish to elaborate?👍.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert