The Del-rays - Destination Unknown

macca

Guest Dr Pickles

I believe this was an old mecca/cleethorpes spin.

any info on labels/current value etc?

cheers

macca

I've got this on Tampete which I think is the original label.

Great record.

Hope that helps

Doc

Social source share

Careful of the boot...

Original is an olive green kind of colour, boot is mid/dark green

The Orig has a raised x in the dead wax...Have never seen a boot of this...Yes Colin Curtis played it if memory serves me..Great Stuff

No raised X, and wrong colour, I take it this the boot?

Social source share

Guest biggray1

No raised X, and wrong colour, I take it this the boot?

It looks like my copy wich is a littl darker,the Tampete logo looks tilted where my copy is level..Have you checked the dead wax Simon...owt scratched in there.

Social source share

It looks like my copy wich is a littl darker,the Tampete logo looks tilted where my copy is level..Have you checked the dead wax Simon...owt scratched in there.

I bought this years ago as an original. It's on vinyl with 'TAMPETE - 5444 - A' & 'MZ' in the run out.

(and 'Mick V', whoever he is, that once owned it)

A scan I've seen and it was selling as a boot was darker, almost bottle green.

Aside, the records that I have seen with a raised X in the run out have all been on styrene e.g. Shrine, Sylvia, World Artist etc

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

I bought this years ago as an original. It's on vinyl with 'TAMPETE - 5444 - 7 - A' & 'MZ' in the run out.

Aside, the records that I have seen with a raised X in the run out have all been on styrene e.g. Shrine, Sylvia, World Artist etc

the boots just have Tampete 5444 A and B in the run out

Social source share

Guest biggray1

I bought this years ago as an original. It's on vinyl with 'TAMPETE - 5444 - 7 - A' & 'MZ' in the run out.

Simon,my copy has the same matrx # as your orig but there is a raised X in the dead wax of the b side,aint got me scanner hooked up so cant post pictures...Didnt pay a great lot for this 45 but have had it best part of 30yrs...think i paid 20 quidish .

Social source share

Guest mel brat

One of the best records of it's era. Colin played it first at the Mecca. Then got picked up at Yate by Steve Smith and ? at Cleethorpes. Always bounced around £20-£40, but not that easy to find now days.

A friend paid £75 for an original copy of this a couple of years ago.

What's all this "raised X" crap? I always thought the bootlegs of C.1976 were STYRENE and thus simple to differentiate. I was NOT aware of a vinyl bootleg as well, as it wasn't THAT popular back in 1975!

post-4950-1172017758_thumb.jpg

...and yes, (of course) it's yet ANOTHER in the long list of Mecca gems!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

What's all this "raised X" crap? I always thought the bootlegs of C.1976 were STYRENE and thus simple to differentiate. I was NOT aware of a vinyl bootleg as well, as it wasn't THAT popular back in 1975!

Now I've read that I am tempted to agree. It may well have been pressed twice. Mine is vinyl but has no raised "X" like yours, and it was bought years ago from a reputable source.

Social source share

The bootlegs are not styrene they are vinyl and are a darker green colour

Social source share

I believe this was an old mecca/cleethorpes spin.

any info on labels/current value etc?

cheers

macca

hi macca

Bought this last week from a very very reputable source who took it from his own collection for me. has had it for years and I trust him implicitly. I paid over a ton for it

Mine is Olive green, vinyl and reads, tampete-5444-A in the dead wax, furhter round it has what looks like MZe also in the dead wax. no sign of a raised x and is definatly not styreene.

hope this helps

Chris

Just noticed that my b side reads tampete-5544-B

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Just compared my copy with a mates copy and yes my copy is a Boot,the X in the dead wax that i pointed out was scratched in by someone or other probably to mark their copy for recognition or whatever.Well its hard to find in any format be it boot or orig...I do have one :lol::yes:

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Reviving this thread.

What are the exact matrix details on the original vs. the bootleg?

Which one has got the following in the run-out groove (note 5444/5544)?

A-side:

TAMPETE-5444-A MZL

B-side:

TAMPETE-5544-B MZL

(everything is scratched in)

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The

Reviving this thread.

What are the exact matrix details on the original vs. the bootleg?

Which one has got the following in the run-out groove (note 5444/5544)?

A-side:

TAMPETE-5444-A MZL

B-side:

TAMPETE-5544-B MZL

(everything is scratched in)

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Thats an original you described,

Social source share

Thats an original you described,

Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

I really hope so as it corresponds with what is written in Manship's guide (and that is what I relied on when buying this 45).

I just got a bit thrown by the fact that the "MZL" is scratched in and not stamped (I assumed it was going to be stamped and look exactly the same on both sides).

Also the whole "olive green" label (orig) vs. "sherwood green" label (boot) is a bit hard to tell when you don't have them side by side.

Has anyone on here got the bootleg/second issue that they can describe in detail?

Big thanks in advance.

Social source share

Some of the bootlegs were scribed MZL to pass it off as original.

I just sent mine to John, that way he could see it for himself. The scans alter the colour so it can be hard to judge.

Thanks again!

I don't think the "MZL" on this one can have been scratched in by hand after the record was pressed.

I've always been lead to believe that the surefire way of telling the boot vs. original is in the 5444/5544 matrix details, but perhaps that info is the same on both the orig and the boot? :g:

Would be great to get a 100% answer on this one from Manship or anyone else on here who knows for sure. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Check this thread as it may be helpful.

Original has 5444 scratched on Destination side and 5544 on Crying side

Thanks! I've looked at that thread as well, but it's still confusing. :hypo:

The matrix info on the original that you describe corresponds with mine, which is promising! 5444 on "Destination" and 5544 on "Crying".

But what are the matrix details on the bootleg? Can anyone confirm what they are?

Social source share

Thanks! I've looked at that thread as well, but it's still confusing. :hypo:

The matrix info on the original that you describe corresponds with mine, which is promising! 5444 on "Destination" and 5544 on "Crying".

But what are the matrix details on the bootleg? Can anyone confirm what they are?

Hi,

Sorry, I should have said. The boot has 5544 scratched in BOTH sides and NO MZL squiggle thingy.

Cheers

Social source share

you can clearly tell by the label colour which is which.

If you have both issues in your hands at the same time, yes.

However if there are such glaring differences in the matrix info as in this case (5544 on both sides on the boot, 5444/5544 on respective sides on the original), surely that's an easier way to tell which is which?

Social source share

If you have both issues in your hands at the same time, yes.

However if there are such glaring differences in the matrix info as in this case (5544 on both sides on the boot, 5444/5544 on respective sides on the original), surely that's an easier way to tell which is which?

you don't need the matrix, the pictures in post 27 clearly show the darker green being the boot, the olive green the real one. One in each hand and the difference smacks you round the chops. The boot even looks like a boot.

Social source share

So the Delrays Incorporated were from Miami (or at least, they recorded there).

Anyone know owt bout em (members, when formed & broke up. etc) ???

Think Dave Turner posted a couple of great pics of the group on a thread here last summer. The writer of Destination Unknown (and possibly a group member), Sam Crumity used to be on Facebook, listed as still living in southern Florida.

Social source share

you don't need the matrix, the pictures in post 27 clearly show the darker green being the boot, the olive green the real one. One in each hand and the difference smacks you round the chops. The boot even looks like a boot.

The original looks pretty iffy as well if you ask me. They even got the matrix "wrong" on the original (surely should be 5444-A / 5444-B if they'd done it right).

Knowing the matrix is the best way to determine its authencity. It seems to be the definite way of telling the boot from the original without even having to see a scan of it.

Also, the "R" and "P" in "INCORPORTATED" bleeds into each other on the bootleg. On the original there is green space around both of those letters.

I'm having a total shit week and the last thing I needed was recieving a bootleg of this 45. Please excuse me if I come across like a jackass. :(

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The original looks pretty iffy as well if you ask me. They even got the matrix "wrong" on the original (surely should be 5444-A / 5444-B if they'd done it right).

Knowing the matrix is the best way to determine its authencity. It seems to be the definite way of telling the boot from the original without even having to see a scan of it.

Also, the "R" and "P" in "INCORPORTATED" bleeds into each other on the bootleg. On the original there is green space around both of those letters.

I'm having a total shit week and the last thing I needed was recieving a bootleg of this 45. Please excuse me if I come across like a jackass. :(

If you were coming across as a jackass I'd let you know don't worry, I'm not afraid to say what I think as a few will testify. If you don't have both then ye matrix details are needed but side by side it is easy to spot. The picture in post 27 clearly shows the colour difference. Hope you haven't been done over.

Social source share

If you don't have both then ye matrix details are needed but side by side it is easy to spot. The picture in post 27 clearly shows the colour difference.

I don't have them side by side. I thought that was obvious by my initial post. That's why I asked for the exact matrix details of the two different issues. If I had both there would be no question, the darker green would've been the bootleg. But I couldn't make that comparison. Hence I thought your comment "you can clearly tell by the label colour which is which" was a bit flippant. Hope you understand what I mean.

Hope you haven't been done over.

Apparently I haven't. :thumbsup: Mine has got the correct matrix details. 5444 on the a-side, 5544 on the b-side. The bootleg has got 5544 on both sides.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

As the topic starter 5 years ago, it's funny to see just how things have evolved price wise with this 45, from Pete's initial I can't get more than 80 quid for it comment to what it has just achieved on John Manship's auction. I never did get hold of one as I didn't want to pay over the odds for it at the time of opening the thread. Well and truly out of my reach now. Some demented folk out there, for sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky's right, to identify an original you only have to know the difference between light green and dark green, you don't need to see both together. If it's dark green it's a boot, if it's light green it's an original.

But it all gets a bit tricky when you see this:

120943022226.jpg

vs.

DSC05664.jpg

Which one is the original? And which one is "dark" and which one is "light" green?

To me it's easier to tell by the matrix numbers in the run-out groove. You don't even have to see the label to make sure you get an original that way.

Social source share

But it all gets a bit tricky when you see this:

120943022226.jpg

vs.

DSC05664.jpg

Which one is the original? And which one is "dark" and which one is "light" green?

To me it's easier to tell by the matrix numbers in the run-out groove. You don't even have to see the label to make sure you get an original that way.

Well the one at the bottom is the light green original if thats any help (I'm not talking about ebay anyway, I mean if you actually come across one in a sales box etc

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Well the one at the bottom is the light green original if thats any help

Indeed it is. It's not what I would describe as "light green" though. It's a photo of my 45 so nice to get further confirmation that it is an original. :thumbsup:

(I'm not talking about ebay anyway, I mean if you actually come across one in a sales box etc

OK, then I understand where you're coming from. The chances of finding this record in a sales box outside of the UK and US are however pretty slim, so info about this type of stuff is crucial in my opinion.

Social source share

Well the one at the bottom is the light green original if thats any help (I'm not talking about ebay anyway, I mean if you actually come across one in a sales box etc

That was my point Pete, once you have seen both you can clearly tell without the need for matrix deadwax info or the need to have both side by side.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!