Good Records

Steve G

OK OK I've been berated for criticising Russ W.

So to make amends, this thread is for the GOOD soul records spun by Russ at Wigan.

Excluding the "3 before bed" and Frank Wilson (which was good for about the first 200 plays), what else was there.....

I'll start with:

Gerri Grainger "I go to pieces"

Willie Hutch "Love games"

G'wan refresh my memory......what else?

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is a ridiculous topic. Russ was a fantastic dj at Wigan til 78, that gives him over 5 really good years, if you ever managed to get in just after 12.30 you'd hear his first spot and it was full of current monsters and new discoveries. Very unfair. After that, he was rubbish, but credit where it's due please.

Social source share

This is a ridiculous topic. Russ was a fantastic dj at Wigan til 78, that gives him over 5 really good years, if you ever managed to get in just after 12.30 you'd hear his first spot and it was full of current monsters and new discoveries. Very unfair. After that, he was rubbish, but credit where it's due please.

I wondered how long it would take for you to put your head over the parapet Pete :D

Social source share

He did play a few, but only by accident. I did hear a rumour that people used to plant good records in his box to see if he would play them :D . Sorry can't forgive the malicious way he treated Richard towards the end.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I was never a big admirer of Russ

but some good 45s were spun in the early days....

THE SHERRY'S for one.....

The Sherry's was the ONLY one! :D:D:D

Seriously, didn't he start Yvonne Baker off though? That record alone justifies his existance as a DJ I guess...!

However, I'm not sure how seriously I ever took Russ as a Soul DJ, as he was always at pains to mention in early interviews that he was a ROCK music fan at heart, and that's what he played at home!. Nonetheless, I don't begrudge him anything really, as he WAS responsible for the creation of Wigan Allnighters in the first place! (and I say this as a died-in-the-wool aficionado of the Mecca, naturally! cool.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

The Sherry's was the ONLY one! :D:D:D

Seriously, didn't he start Yvonne Baker off though? That record alone justifies his existance as a DJ I guess...!

Wine ain't helping the old memory but I think John Bowie, Donna King and Ambassadors on Pee Vee were spun by the chubby one first as well.

Where's Fluff when ya need him? :D

Godz

Social source share

OK OK I've been berated for criticising Russ W.

So to make amends, this thread is for the GOOD soul records spun by Russ at Wigan.

Excluding the "3 before bed" and Frank Wilson (which was good for about the first 200 plays), what else was there.....

I'll start with:

Gerri Grainger "I go to pieces"

Willie Hutch "Love games"

G'wan refresh my memory......what else?

Bin done B4 this one Steve..........gotta agree with Pete as well, always got to Wigan early doors for Russ, enjoyed his spots, set the tone of the night, but he did go off the boil in the latter days.

My fave Russ record was Patrice Holloway 'Stolen Hours' (plus the one I mentioned last time which was Dee Dee Barnes). Always liked Patti Labelle Lovin' Rules, Lou Roberts 'You Fooled Me' and Mikey Lanay 'I'm Gonna Walk'. He also played (albeit briefly) and later sold me Sonny Herman 'What About Me' on Utopia, Sammy Lee 'What Goes Around' on Promco, so he cant have been all bad.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bin done B4 this one Steve..........gotta agree with Pete as well, always got to Wigan early doors for Russ, enjoyed his spots, set the tone of the night, but he did go off the boil in the latter days.

My fave Russ record was Patrice Holloway 'Stolen Hours' (plus the one I mentioned last time which was Dee Dee Barnes). Always liked Patti Labelle Lovin' Rules, Lou Roberts 'You Fooled Me' and Mikey Lanay 'I'm Gonna Walk'. He also played (albeit briefly) and later sold me Sonny Herman 'What About Me' on Utopia, Sammy Lee 'What Goes Around' on Promco, so he cant have been all bad.

When did he play Sammy Lee? (I'd love that record!) Heard Colin Curtis play it C.September 1976 I think.

Social source share

I used to like Gene Latter Groove It and Mary Wilson You Are The Light, but think that says more about me as a 16 year old than Russ!!

Only heard him the last 2 years and didnt know that much then (no obvious retorts) but do remember the incessant instrumental/backing tracks he played then (Chiffons/Sidney Barnes) even annoying me at that early stage.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert