Stax or Motown what's your preference?

Good question and one that I've pondered over in the past. I think if you had posed it another way "if you could only have records from one or the other in your collection"  the answers may have been slightly different.

Both labels were instrumental in my life long love for the music, I'm going to plump for Stax for no other reason than I still get the tingle of excitement I got as a fifteen year old when I see that blue label and little stack of records. Back then Sam and Dave were magical names for me, Otis was King. 

Much as I love Motown and I probably have an equal number of both labels in my collection Stax probably edges it with tunes I'd be at a loss to never hear again. 

That said ask me again tomorrow after more thought and a few spins on the decks and it could be Motown. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Robbk said:

Yes!  After (1) Motown/Tamla/Miracle/Gordy/Soul/Mel-O-dy/VIP, I'd put (2) Chess/Checker/Argo/Check-Mate, then (3)King/Federal/Deluxe/Bethlehem, then (4) VJ/Falcon/Abner/Vivid/Tollie/Exodus, then (5) Atlantic/ATCO/Cotillion, then (6) Mercury/Wing/Emarcy/Smash/BlueRock/Philips/Limelight, then (7) GoldenWorld/RicTic/Wingate, then (8) Thelma/DaCo/GeGe/KO, then (9) Columbia/Okeh/Epic/Date, then (10) Imperial/Aladdin/Lamp/Liberty/Minit,  (11) Modern/RPM/Flair/Crown/Kent, (12) Duke/Peacock/BackBeat/SureShot, (13) Revilot/Groovesville/SolidHit/GrooveCity, before we possibly finally get to Stax/Satellite/Volt/Enterprise at (14).  And probably, actually, I like Chance/Sabre, and Parrot/BlueLake, and RedRobin, and OldTown, and Rama, and Jubilee/Josie, and some other 1940s and 1950s labels better than Stax/Volt, if we use the  "You would have to forever do WITHOUT your records from THIS label", test.

Hi Robbk

Thats certainly added on to my reply LoL,

ML

Social source share

Probably Motown for me also, but there are Stax sides that Motown could never reach, Carla's work, Eddie Floyd and Johnnie Taylor and William Bell, what can you say...

And for most on here I would guess, the music Don Davis took from Detroit and produced at Stax could not be equaled even by Motown, it's that distinct and so part of the music we love, those Albums and singles underpin everything to us right?

As William Bell said, I'd have to be "The Man in the Street" on this one...

Social source share

11 hours ago, Mal C said:

Probably Motown for me also, but there are Stax sides that Motown could never reach, Carla's work, Eddie Floyd and Johnnie Taylor and William Bell, what can you say...

And for most on here I would guess, the music Don Davis took from Detroit and produced at Stax could not be equaled even by Motown, it's that distinct and so part of the music we love, those Albums and singles underpin everything to us right?

As William Bell said, I'd have to be "The Man in the Street" on this one...

Many of The Don Davis Stax records I was including in the Revilot/Groovesville/Solid Hit category, as they were recorded in Detroit by Solid Hitbound, and Davis simply brought those masters into his Stax deal.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

Many of The Don Davis Stax records I was including in the Revilot/Groovesville/Solid Hit category, as they were recorded in Detroit by Solid Hitbound, and Davis simply brought those masters into his Stax deal.

I knew he brought masters with him to Stax, I'd read that somewhere, so I guess all of 'Rare Stamps' tracks, and the subsiquent singles were all 'Groovesville Music', all recorded in Detroit, realeased about 1969 into 1970. 

Checked a few 45's I have, The Mad Lads - Did My Baby Call, Groovesville Music, Produced by Don Davis, and recorded Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, realeased in 72, so I guess well after he had started at Stax. Do you know Robb what else Don produced at Stax, I assume he produced the Dramatics? I know he produced singles for Carla Thomas, wonder if that work outweighed the tracks he brought with him you think?

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

For me, Motown by a mile and to have grown up with Motown we have been blessed to experience the sound. Absolutely nothing like it. When you go to a northern soul night which also plays Motown to me is a more complete night. I remember years ago when I first heard The Isley brothers tell me it's just a rumour, it just blew is all away. Anyone on the scene that danced just had to dance to it .What a sound it was from them on my favourite Motown sound. Such a shame that what we hear these days on the radio,just doesn't come anywhere near. That's my opinion but I bet many on here agree with me as said earlier we were exposed to such beautiful music.regards Fred.

Social source share

Since 'Friday Night' from Johnnie Taylor and the Isley's 'This Old Heart Of Mine' have remained favourite records for well over fifty years I ain't gonna choose. Why should I?

Social source share

If pushed i'd go for Stax. Just a bit earthier, tougher and with the Muscle Shoals connection. Southern soul, for me, just hits the spot more often.

But we are comparing chalk and cheese to a degree as records made for Stax in Memphis just couldnt have been made by Motown in Detroit and vice versa.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

No contest as far as I am concerned,grand boulevard west by a country mile,nothing can compare to Brenda Holloway Every little bit hurts or the contours just a little misunderstanding,could go on and on  the time they moved to La mid 70 s it was all but over,till my dying day nothing comes close,having been in the northern scene since 1974i believe all the great sounds were done late 70 s

Edited by Bonzo100
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 06/09/2022 at 05:06, Westender said:

If pushed i'd go for Stax. Just a bit earthier, tougher and with the Muscle Shoals connection. Southern soul, for me, just hits the spot more often.

But we are comparing chalk and cheese to a degree as records made for Stax in Memphis just couldnt have been made by Motown in Detroit and vice versa.

There WAS some overlap when Don Davis was producing for Stax.  But, I do admit that everything I've heard of his recording Stax artists sound conspicuously like Detroit recordings or good facsimiles.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Re "no Motown, no Northern": we'd have to hope that the likes of Richard Wylie, Jack Ashford, Joe Hunter, et al. had spent a few years working for whoever had been successfully occupying Motown's niche in the market before they went off on their own to try to replicate that hypothetical label's success.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!