Being Jackie Wilson - BBC Radio 4 - 01 Sep 2022

Bobby was amazing at the Whitby Northern Soul & Motown Weekender . Fabulous performance and some very funny quips in the preceding q&a session with Kev Roberts - as well as a great singer of his Dads tunes (the similarity visually and vocally is uncanny) he’d make a very good stand up comedian !

His story would make a great film ! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

BBC4 are repeating this show on Monday afternoon (4pm).

WAY BACK IN AUGUST 61 .... Jackie Wilson was playing Carr's Beach, Annapolis backed up by Joe Hunter's Band. Joe Hunter's Band comprised Joe Hunter, Hank Cosby, Mike Terry, Larry Veeder, Benny Benjamin and James Jamerson. Not a bad line-up.

JackieWilsonCarrsBch61.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Thank you Scarlett, we had it on at work today , 4 pm , any plans to expand the story perhaps for a TV,  BBC documentary would make great viewing , and especially with the visual similarity being such an important factor in the story line , no pressure , just an idea 

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Thank you Scarlett, we had it on at work today , 4 pm , any plans to expand the story perhaps for a TV,  BBC documentary would make great viewing , and especially with the visual similarity being such an important factor in the story line , no pressure , just an idea 

My thoughts exactly . Hope it happens . 

Social source share

It’s not really down to me if the story gets expanded to TV as I had to pitch it to the BBC! But I think it would defo work for TV I have only really worked in radio so wouldn’t know how to get it onto TV, great idea though! And this documentary goes into his artistry, his voice, his history within the music world and his personal life whilst matching it to Bobby’s own tale, without Jackie there really is no Bobby, literally haha, I would love to expand it but when you pitch to the BBC you pitch for slots and this is a specific slot for stories surround musical icons at half an hour! X

• Up vote 3
Social source share

19 minutes ago, ScarlettOMalley said:

...when you pitch to the BBC you pitch for slots and this is a specific slot for stories surround musical icons at half an hour! X

If you're looking for other ideas/stories to pitch, you could do worse than dig in to the life of singer, songwriter, producer and record label owner, Johnnie Mae Matthews.

I've always thought that her life story would make for an excellent biopic - strong and ambitious Afro-American woman trying to make great strides in the male-dominated music world in 1950s/1960s Detroit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Mae_Matthews

And I'm sure there are members on here who have contact with family members/friends - and indeed, I'm sure some on here would have met the great lady herself.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

If you're looking for other ideas/stories to pitch, you could do worse than dig in to the life of singer, songwriter, producer and record label owner, Johnnie Mae Matthews.

I've always thought that her life story would make for an excellent biopic - strong and ambitious Afro-American woman trying to make great strides in the male-dominated music world in 1950s/1960s Detroit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Mae_Matthews

And I'm sure there are members on here who have contact with family members/friends - and indeed, I'm sure some on here would have met the great lady herself.

Not 100% but think one is in the works now or on the cards

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just to add something more, next year - 2022 - marks the centenary of the birth of Johnnie Mae Matthews. No better time for a radio-docu and/or a full-blown biopic!

I must have read wrong as I can’t find anything about any any biopic

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!