North / South Divide 1970

Came across this great 1970 BBC Archive film recently which got me thinking about the soul scene around that time

Was only born in 1970 so interested in any reflections on the north / south divide in the 1970's in relation to the soul scene (or just generally I guess)

Did the country feel a much bigger place with less access to decent transport, road systems, etc? Godin coming up to Blackpool must have seemed a long journey. Did people in the north think the southern soul scene was full of hippies, or flash geezers, etc - what was the view of the time?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Surprised black puddings never even got a look in.....fake news.

You can tell how skillful that fella contributing is as you can't even tell he has a ferret running up and down the inside of his strides! 

Just remember everyone on the scene was universally welcomed irrespective of geographical location, but then again the scene wasn't the norm.

Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ha Ha Ha Thanks Chris!

I moved to Wakefield from Essex three years ago,misses works from home,so I went through to the office to show her the video,thought it might be of interest being Wakey born and didn’t say much…apparently she now thinks I’m an undercover southerner,getting more information about northern life to bugger off back to Essex and continue with the whippets,flat caps and black pudding s**te😂🤣😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!