Discrepencies on recordings that shouldn't be there

Was having a catch up with an old mate the other day and the conversation turned to noises or discrepancies on recordings that shouldn't be there.

He mentioned two, The Caressors "I can't Stay Away" and what sounds like a motor bike kicking ups and shooting off towards the end of the recording, definitely something there.  Also mentioned was Little Charles & The Vee Jays on De Carl, the creaking of a door opening.  The dog barking on the bootleg of Candi Staton was also mentioned.

There must be loads of examples of this type of cock up that snook into a recording.

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Paul Collis said:

The one for me is The Crow - Autumn of Tomorrow.  About two thirds in, after “who you gonna trust in baby”, someone cries out in the background.  Always used to think it was me mum calling me for me tea.  Still triggers the same reaction to this day.  

Yep - just heard it - sounds like she waits 3 seconds for a second go. Well spotted. 
I always thought the symbol came in to early at the beginning of Tommy Ridgley then disappears for a few seconds until the correct time. 

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Barbara And Brenda - Don't Wait Up For Me Mama - Dynamo

I thought my record had a defect at 52 seconds in where there's a thud sound. It seems it's on all copies whether styrene issues, demos or vinyl press. Even the Goldmine CD "Treasure Chest Of Northern Soul" has it.

Is it at the recording session, a bump to the mic or something dropped ?

55 seconds in on this video.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

On Doris Willingham's "You can't do that" Jayboy UK version the backing slows down about 15 seconds into the track ... 

Yes it does, I've noticed that. It's a great record for most of it's running time, but I have always thought it seems to lose it's way towards the end!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

On Doris Willingham's "You can't do that" Jayboy UK version the backing slows down about 15 seconds into the track ... 

Roburt, was this the only US Jayboy ? Remember buying this in a second hand shop in Grimsby and he had loads , also Jackie Lee - oh my Darling , again loads of copies , strange 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Roburt said:

Sounds like someone touched the tape spool whilst recording the vocal.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Not an external noise but once you hear this you can’t miss it.

On Sideshow ‘Sexy Lady’ - MUSCADINE 45 the lead vocalist Arthur Ponder comes in too early at 2 mins 25secs after the instrumental break. He then sheepishly trails off and comes back in when he is supposed to at 02:44. 
Makes me smile anyway!

Social source share

10 hours ago, Paul Capon said:

Not an external noise but once you hear this you can’t miss it.

On Sideshow ‘Sexy Lady’ - MUSCADINE 45 the lead vocalist Arthur Ponder comes in too early at 2 mins 25secs after the instrumental break. He then sheepishly trails off and comes back in when he is supposed to at 02:44. 
Makes me smile anyway!

Great track despite it. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!