Northern Sounds on U.S. TV shows

In the last month or so on 3 different U.S. tv shows on Netflix and Amazon, I have heard,

Celestrals - I feel it coming on ( Don El) in the background on the radio in a house,

Irma & The Larks - Without you baby ( Priority) played in the background in a diner,

Tommy Neal - Going to a happening, played 3 times as incidental music in one show.

Anymore anyone?

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

What were the shows?

'Mad Men' had Helen Smith 'Pot Can't Talk About the Kettle' playing the background in a bar in one episode and George McGregor 'Temptation Is Hard To Fight' over the credits at the end of an episode. Maybe a couple of others. I think they took things from the Numero comps.

The film 'Detroit' that came out about 5 years ago (will be on Netflix or somewhere now) had loads in background - Edward Hamilton & Arabians 'Baby Don't You Weep' among others.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Who'd have thunk it eh , american tv producers using american soul tunes in their programmes , how very dare they ... :rolleyes:

you need to lay off the negative digs about other members posts

not needed or wanted

1 hour ago, Joesoap said:

What were the shows?

'Mad Men' had Helen Smith 'Pot Can't Talk About the Kettle' playing the background in a bar in one episode and George McGregor 'Temptation Is Hard To Fight' over the credits at the end of an episode. Maybe a couple of others. I think they took things from the Numero comps.

their comps seem to have a lot of influence, film, tv and current vinyl re-releases

1 hour ago, Joesoap said:

The film 'Detroit' that came out about 5 years ago (will be on Netflix or somewhere now) had loads in background - Edward Hamilton & Arabians 'Baby Don't You Weep' among others.

Missed that, the full Detroit soundtrack can be had here..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5390504/soundtrack/

• Up vote 2
Social source share

It would be amazing if any proper non hits made it through to programme or film soundtracks or even backing music...

However as was apparent at the la2004 gig, not far from Hollywood, several dozen scooterists were there and a thriving scene in place, so it possible a young soulie went into those industries and thought "what the hell" let's put some obscurity in the mix.

I would if I could....and I can so I am...so to speak.

Ed

Social source share

5 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Who'd have thunk it eh , american tv producers using american soul tunes in their programmes , how very dare they ... :rolleyes:

It's you that came up with the strange idea that it's some kind of a problem, no one else!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

It's you that came up with the strange idea that it's some kind of a problem, no one else!

No problem whatsoever , I just find it strange that folk get surprised when they hear their precious tunes outside of the setting they usually hear then in , as if they have some sort of exclusive hold over the records/tunes like some kind of secret caretakers ... :)

• Up vote 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, Joesoap said:

What were the shows?

Fair do's to you, I watched the film  Detroit in the cinema when it came out, and missed several of the tunes credited ! 

Edited by Wilxy
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

No problem whatsoever , I just find it strange that folk get surprised when they hear their precious tunes outside of the setting they usually hear then in , as if they have some sort of exclusive hold over the records/tunes like some kind of secret caretakers ... :)

Yes Likely "stuck" in the head (I still am or was only maybe) a bit too from them greater days before f**cking digital everything where & when you were witnessing or hearing about obscure scenes stuffs unexpextedly it made your neck stood-out. Thrilling !

Because it took a will, an effort and a risk in public exposition to "dig" that out. Where now it's a mere boring 'click' for anybody or almost. Maybe why many, like I, who are a bit dubvious of all that now just don't pay much attention anymore to any of that.

Legitimacy comes from/with implication, devotion and credibility. There it is 'exclusive' some l believe. Or at least not disposable to take, borrow and get rid-off so simply or lightly. What any "underground" scene struggles to be preserved from. Or if not die from.

Watching the film with little prejudice I got a bit hooked by it before letted down. Found it caricatural some... But the film intent was going for that 'historycal' bit focusing on that band we love. All is "fine" from here IMHO. Only not a movie I remember until here.

Reading the soundtrack list now made me realise how much I "forgot" about that film. Because I remember listening to the music then played in there... With some evident "trophee" tunes I now forgot were in there !!! N° Group is all over those American "films" 🤕

It's all bizz. On audio forums you get the same 'topics' about phono turntables in movies or series. With vintage gear for the "kool" factor or modern contemporary for adds 'placements'. Trying also to recognize the models to spice things up. Only nothing "exclusive" there 😉

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I started the topic because I was amazed and thrilled to unexpectedly hear these fabulous sounds played on recent TV shows. To think that some producer had sought out these tunes which were probably never heard outside their native cities and were gigantic flops elsewhere, is fantastic. 

This got me thinking which prompted me to ask the question if anyone else had heard any.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Betty Harris 'Show It' (Sansu) in 'your Honor' happening in NoLa (2020).

On another level for disastrous credibility in another recent movie (must still remember what movie now) where the hero while passivly flirting is deeply sharing his passion for "good" old music crediting the incomparable soulful vocal genius of a Sam Cook while listening to Eddie and Ernie 'lost friends'... Hopefully for him the girl was not 'in the known' and drank the milk.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Never saw the show? Was a jackanory type programme as it looks that way on the tube...but SOMEBODY must have fell off their chair listing to it who was into our scene.

Listen to the intro..

Ed

I just looked it up on Discogs. Coloured man wasn't a TV show. It was a comedy album written by Teddy Vann. Lord Darth Vader (aka James Earl Jones) credited on the album. Is he the voice in the YT vid? Voices are not identical to me. But the album was recorded a few years before he took over running the Death Star

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Benji said:

I just looked it up on Discogs. Coloured man wasn't a TV show. It was a comedy album written by Teddy Vann. Lord Darth Vader (aka James Earl Jones) credited on the album. Is he the voice in the YT vid? Voices are not identical to me. But the album was recorded a few years before he took over running the Death Star

He's the voice for that Teddy Vann Orchestra 45 allright. Can't say about the whole LP as I never heard it before. Only have my "guilty secret" usa promo copy 45. The whole album must be real tiring. The 45 flip is that already.

That voice of James Earl Jones AKA ze Zwartz Farther is 11 years younger than in Ztar warZ. Before he got to lend his voice to Annikin who's vocal chords melted in the tragic battle with Obiwan Kenobi as we all know... 🦨

Social source share

6 hours ago, Soulfulhound said:

Great! I missed that one even though I saw the show and have the record.

Correction Allert ; my bad as I think that I might have mixed-up that 'your Honor' serie with the 2 years predecessor 'Sharp Objects' (another fabulous yet much more darker or sinister crime intruigue serie) also taking place down south but in Wind Gap, Missouri and not in New Orleans, Louisiana... And that's where I now think Betty Harris 'show it' gets to be heard... I know my records way better than my movies 😕

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the film , THE MULE , yesterday,  Clint Eastwood as a ninety year old drug mule for the Mexican cartel , on an early run he was singing along in the pickup truck to Spiral Starecase , More today than yesterday  , plus not long after the instrumental jazzy version was playing whilst he was in the garage with the drug smugglers.

I think it was on free view TV last week , maybe on bbc1 last Sunday evening !

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soundsokeh said:

I watched the film , THE MULE , yesterday,  Clint Eastwood as a ninety year old drug mule for the Mexican cartel , on an early run he was singing along in the pickup truck to Spiral Starecase , More today than yesterday  , plus not long after the instrumental jazzy version was playing whilst he was in the garage with the drug smugglers.

I think it was on free view TV last week , maybe on bbc1 last Sunday evening !

Watched it last night ... :)

Still available on BBC iPlayer for another 27 days ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0019n5y/the-mule

• Thanks 1
Social source share

• 4 months later...
54 minutes ago, Seand said:

I was in Florida last month. An upmarket health food shop commercial had Du-ettes Every beat of my heart as its soundtrack. 
and yes that film Detroit. There’s a muffled 10 seconds of Brown Bombers Wait for me in a party scene. 

I was in Las Vegas in October for the wife’s birthday - sat in the sunshine at Caesars Palace pool having a beer about 10am ! When the Du-ettes also came on ! It must be doing the rounds ! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!