Northern Before 1963

Nocker

I put something up a few months ago about the oldest Northern Track. Well just been scanning the evilBay and come across, The Essex, Are you going my way, New Zealand Roulette label, I then notice the date... 1958... The amazing thing is it sounds good, just right for the dance floor. Is it known, has it ever been played?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I put something up a few months ago about the oldest Northern Track. Well just been scanning the evilBay and come across, The Essex, Are you going my way, New Zealand Roulette label, I then notice the date... 1958... The amazing thing is it sounds good, just right for the dance floor. Is it known, has it ever been played?

The Essex track is actually from 1963. Funny enough, I also have this on an NZ Roulette 45 (it's the flip side of Easier Said Than Done. which was a UK Top 50 hit), and for some strange reason, 1958 is on the bottom of most of the NZ Roulette labels, but not on the one I have from 1959!

There are early Northern tracks dating back to the late '50s - I put up a list of them a couple of years ago. Will post a link to it when I can find it.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

ive got a track by the marcels on us colpix and uk pye (i thinK) called really need yor love that is ace, not sure its ever been played out but i think its from about 58, also got gene allison you can make it if you try, thats from 58 (i think again records in loft due to missus attempting to downsize)

Edited by codfromderby
Social source share

my fairmount demo of big dee irwin's 'you really are together' has 1963 on it. this must be one the earliest 'northern type' sounds about. the adams apples wonderful 'don't take it out on this world' was also 1963 I think. anything pre-1960 would sit firmly in the R&B camp...

Edited by macca
Social source share

my fairmount demo of big dee irwin's 'you really are together' has 1963 on it. this must be one the earliest 'northern type' sounds about. the adams apples wonderful 'don't take it out on this world' was also 1963 I think. anything pre-1960 would sit firmly in the R&B camp...

Adams apples,dont think so........do you really unsure.gif later than that surely.

Social source share

ive got a track by the marcels on us colpix and uk pye (i thinK) called really need yor love that is ace, not sure its ever been played out but i think its from about 58,

Great track, I have it on Colpix and used to play it out a couple of years back.

The Marcels version of 'summertime' is VERY nice too (also on Colpix) thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

1963 is the date that Cameo-Parkway inaugurated the Fairmount label, the actual record dates from a couple of years later (possibly after BDI's Rotate and Roulette releases, I think).

This business of the incorporation date is rare, but not unique - if you look at any release on the One-Der-Ful! label it has a June 1963 date - but, of course not all releases on that label came out on that day!

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ive got a track by the marcels on us colpix and uk pye (i thinK) called really need yor love that is ace, not sure its ever been played out but i think its from about 58, also got gene allison you can make it if you try, thats from 58 (i think again records in loft due to missus attempting to downsize)

Gene Allison is from 1957 - although there's no way in the world that anyone would regard it as 'Northern', surely? - but the Marcels is from 1961.

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert