Royal esquires ???

16 hours ago, Merve said:

Blimey you're got good eyes  ! Very faint at 7 o'clock on the AGR side and 11 o'clock on the OLUTB side on mine but barely noticable.  Does yours have the other details like mine?

Maybe the orientation of the A & B sides numbers seems a little different, it's hard to tell.

Like most collectors on here I have been scrutinizing vinyl for many years and this vinyl looks what I would expect from a record made around 1970. 

It has a slightly recycled look of vinyl made for small independent labels around the 60's/early 70's and is not bendy like modern vinyl.

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

Maybe the orientation of the A & B sides numbers seems a little different, it's hard to tell.

Like most collectors on here I have been scrutinizing vinyl for many years and this vinyl looks what I would expect from a record made around 1970. 

It has a slightly recycled look of vinyl made for small independent labels around the 60'/early 70's and is not bendy like modern vinyl.

I agree, but if you were going to make truly convincing boots wouldn't it be possible to recycle vinyl from that era? A genuine question that as I haven't a clue if that would be possible. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Merve said:

I agree, but if you were going to make truly convincing boots wouldn't it be possible to recycle vinyl from that era? A genuine question that as I haven't a clue if that would be possible. 

I doubt a bootlegger has the tech, the know how or the inclination to do such a thing.  The added cost would be quite large too, not just the recycling but the expense of having to buy 100s or 1000s of 45s to recycle.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I doubt a bootlegger has the tech, the know how or the inclination to do such a thing.  The added cost would be quite large too, not just the recycling but the expense of having to buy 100s or 1000s of 45s to recycle.

Fair enough.  Thought I'd be reluctant to put it beyond the technology of the bootleggers, particularly as they are presumed to have done it with 78s (different material obviously). But as you say, they would need to put a lot of effort in even if it is possible. 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Merve said:

Recycling tends to degrade vinyl and records pressed on it are considered inferior. You often s e virgin vinyl as a selling tool on new pressing..

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Recycling tends to degrade vinyl and records pressed on it are considered inferior. You often s e virgin vinyl as a selling tool on new pressing..

when you recycle you get oxygen/air in the mix and that can be heard as noise on a recording even if it is mint condition.  It all depends on how good the process is though. 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Larry sheman- trax records, Chicago was infamous for his dubiously pressed records using my recycled vinyl. 

https://mixmag.net/feature/trax-records-chicago-house-originators-payment-larry-sherman

All the companies used recycled vinyl.  When making the biscuits, all the off cuts, leftovers would be recycled.  You can hear it in records from majors to minors when the oxygen gets in the mix.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/07/2022 at 18:00, Geeselad said:

Larry sheman- trax records, Chicago was infamous for his dubiously pressed records using my recycled vinyl. 

https://mixmag.net/feature/trax-records-chicago-house-originators-payment-larry-sherman

he chucked it all in though didn't he, label, the sleeve!  a mouse or two, laughing

Trax 12's are very hit and miss, Ive one or two that actually jump due to a nobule of stuff in the grooves... more like  Jamacian 45's...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!