The Work Song - Info Required If You Can

I Love "the work song" , Trade Martin, Tommy Hunt and Oscar Browns versions are great.

Now could anybody give me Info on this funky version? From Memphis?

Usual questions - Rare? How much? What year?

And what other versions of this classic tune are out there?

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I Love "the work song" , Trade Martin, Tommy Hunt and Oscar Browns versions are great.

Thanks

My favourite take on this is Cleveland Robinson's on Nosnibor.

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

This song reminds me of a time myself and Ion was on the binge in Leicester Square, anyway we both had a few and more and time came to go home. So here we were taking the esculator down to the tube, longest one in London I think (useless info) but at the bottom was this four piece band set up busking, had sax etc the works, so heres us, "Go on play the Work Song" thinking that they didn't know it, but hey presto, they started belting it out full glory down the tube station near midnight (not a Jam innuendo, honest whistling.gif ) Was around the time when Guy was playing the Cleveland Robinson version at Stafford.

Cleveland Robinson for me IMO :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

This song reminds me of a time myself and Ion was on the binge in Leicester Square, anyway we both had a few and more and time came to go home. So here we were taking the esculator down to the tube, longest one in London I think (useless info) but at the bottom was this four piece band set up busking, had sax etc the works, so heres us, "Go on play the Work Song" thinking that they didn't know it, but hey presto, they started belting it out full glory down the tube station near midnight (not a Jam innuendo, honest whistling.gif ) Was around the time when Guy was playing the Cleveland Robinson version at Stafford.

Cleveland Robinson for me IMO :thumbsup:

:D

Is something of a standard - in fact there used to be a pub in Leicester Square (China Town) that had a little basement - always had jazz background music and often used to play the Oscar Brown Jr version. Again, was around the same time Guy was playing it.

Kind of reminds me of being on the train with Ion going to Stafford from London and him getting caught without a ticket - seem to recall he gave his name as Eddie Parker :D - would've shocked him if the guard had started singing I'm Gone!

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

La Canci³n del Trabajo - los tres de castilla -

14798 refosoul

Work song in Spanish...

There's also a version by a well known spanish singer called Raphael. A classic in the 60s y-y nights in Mexico tongue.gif

Cheers

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Guest the dukester

Thanks

I have a Tommy Hunt version on a ??????? German Test Pressing????????? (autographed) with Please Stay... The Ivories on the flip Cant remember where I got it but are there anymore lurking about??

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

:lol:

Is something of a standard - in fact there used to be a pub in Leicester Square (China Town) that had a little basement - always had jazz background music and often used to play the Oscar Brown Jr version. Again, was around the same time Guy was playing it.

Kind of reminds me of being on the train with Ion going to Stafford from London and him getting caught without a ticket - seem to recall he gave his name as Eddie Parker :lol: - would've shocked him if the guard had started singing I'm Gone!

Sounds about right with Ion, I think he made it a regular occurance getting stung by the ticket collectors now theres another story :lol: I must know you then Uroffal, was allways on that train to Stafford if I didnt converge from some other town around the country, good times :lol:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Sounds about right with Ion, I think he made it a regular occurance getting stung by the ticket collectors now theres another story :lol: I must know you then Uroffal, was allways on that train to Stafford if I didnt converge from some other town around the country, good times :lol:

Good times indeed!

Given there was rarely more than about 5 of us then we must know each other - it's Gary from north London - I think I might be able able to have a stab at who you are (PM if you'd prefer) :lol:

Social source share

Yes, Clevelands version is fantastic, I had forgotton about his version, Superb stuff. I will listen to the others when I get in from work!

Cheers people! This is the best part of Soul Source for me - A treasure chest of Info. Brilliant!

Still need Info on that Funky version, someone must know about it?

Again..Many Thanks, Mossy

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Still no name for the mad funky version? Chuck Jacksons version has the very same backing as Tommy Hunts (well it would wouln't it!)

I must admit, i had not heard Chucks version, very nice!!! The spanish version is crazy !!!!! but what is the mad jazzy funky soulful version? ..................Help!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert